Aches and Pains

so1om

Squier-Axpert
Sorry you had to go through all that. I hope no one takes it as political when I say our commercial healthcare system is a badly broken failure that needs major changes...changes which seem like they'll never happen thanks to....well, that would get into politics lol
Health Insurance does not add any value to anything. If you break an arm with insurance it costs X amount of dollars. No insurance, it’s significantly more. Why? The doctor, the facilities, the supplies are all the same.

Funny, with the “fake” insurance ii had, I needed an MRI. I called the fake insurance to ask how much it would cost me. They couldn’t tell me. Huh. I said I can just pay $500 self pay and the guy practically yelled DO IT!!! If you go through insurance it’ll cost you thousands.

wak atak

Squier-Meister
Jul 8, 2021
florida
i got some tendonitis going on in my wrist i think, i blame habitual noodling and pressing to hard. still a bummer tho.imma try to take a week off.

AxelMorisson

Squier-Nut
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania
well guys... a lesser known cause of dizziness can be,...a chronic sinus infection. I know I have it and it has its days.. when I can't even walk straight. Sometimes it blurs the vision, sometimes makes my body want to fall to one side... but strangely clears after I clean my sinuses- and then re-appears until I clear "all" of it - may take a week or so. Changes in atmospheric pressure? yup, sharp pains in the forehead and dizziness comes back...Sometimes bass playing helps (!) as the low vibrations seem to dislodge "something" and make clearing the sinuses easier.
On the neurological side of things, my doctor was thrilled I played guitar- he said, it's a good hand and eye coordination exercise, you should practice more. I smiled and I said it's the best treatment I heard of until today. Yup I re-train my hands to work properly after a serious accident that left my left side a little bit.. unresponsive at times. But as in sports, a little bit of preparation, loosening of tendons prior to playing, lightly exercising the neck and hand muscles just before taking the guitar from the rack.. finger stretches etc go a long way in avoiding strain related injury when playing guitar.
Stay healthy and do a bit of warm-up exercises, you will be amazed how good you will feel. Don't start suddenly playing, just as you don't suddenly go to run for a marathon without proper warmup.

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
well guys... a lesser known cause of dizziness can be,...a chronic sinus infection. I know I have it and it has its days.. when I can't even walk straight. Sometimes it blurs the vision, sometimes makes my body want to fall to one side... but strangely clears after I clean my sinuses- and then re-appears until I clear "all" of it - may take a week or so. Changes in atmospheric pressure? yup, sharp pains in the forehead and dizziness comes back...Sometimes bass playing helps (!) as the low vibrations seem to dislodge "something" and make clearing the sinuses easier.
On the neurological side of things, my doctor was thrilled I played guitar- he said, it's a good hand and eye coordination exercise, you should practice more. I smiled and I said it's the best treatment I heard of until today. Yup I re-train my hands to work properly after a serious accident that left my left side a little bit.. unresponsive at times. But as in sports, a little bit of preparation, loosening of tendons prior to playing, lightly exercising the neck and hand muscles just before taking the guitar from the rack.. finger stretches etc go a long way in avoiding strain related injury when playing guitar.
Stay healthy and do a bit of warm-up exercises, you will be amazed how good you will feel. Don't start suddenly playing, just as you don't suddenly go to run for a marathon without proper warmup.

That's good advice. The sinus thing is interesting!

This thread has assured me I probably have mild vertigo and just need my ears sorted out. I haven't seen vertigo commonly blamed for hand coordination issues, but maybe the imbalance is throwing off my hand-eye coordination because I'm not perceiving things right for a moment...idk we'll see.

Benlostforyears

Squier-holic
Aug 17, 2020
Western NC
If it's only affecting the motor control on one side of your body I would look into a pinched nerve or nerve related issue. I have a list of abbreviated conditions, one of which is Craniocervical Instability, meaning damage from an old car wreck made my ligaments that hold my head to my neck too lax. One of the symptoms is that my left side is weaker and less coordinated than my right because the weight of my head pinches my brainstem on that side and effects nerve communication and function. It can make playing guitar really difficult on the days when it's worst because my hands just don't respond as well.

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
If it's only affecting the motor control on one side of your body I would look into a pinched nerve or nerve related issue. I have a list of abbreviated conditions, one of which is Craniocervical Instability, meaning damage from an old car wreck made my ligaments that hold my head to my neck too lax. One of the symptoms is that my left side is weaker and less coordinated than my right because the weight of my head pinches my brainstem on that side and effects nerve communication and function. It can make playing guitar really difficult on the days when it's worst because my hands just don't respond as well.
Thanks, that definitely sounds kinda similar, but with me it's so temporary...lasts a few seconds then I'm fine. And I do get a little lightheaded, so I'm suspecting vertigo...but who knows.

Maybe I have a spirit trying to possess my body but I keep fighting it off.

Jes Woodland

Squier-Meister
Sep 4, 2020
Nottingham UK
I have a shattered lower spine that is fused together. There is no remedial operation and the prognosis is that I will probably end up in a wheelchair. The constant pain is kept to a `dull roar` with morphine but to combat my inability to stand for too long I play the Bass perched on a tall stool that I can get on and off easily mid song without it affecting my playing stance.
Unfortunately some days there is no solution and we have had to cancel gigs on occasion because I`m unable to play.

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
I have a shattered lower spine that is fused together. There is no remedial operation and the prognosis is that I will probably end up in a wheelchair. The constant pain is kept to a `dull roar` with morphine but to combat my inability to stand for too long I play the Bass perched on a tall stool that I can get on and off easily mid song without it affecting my playing stance.
Unfortunately some days there is no solution and we have had to cancel gigs on occasion because I`m unable to play.

Ah man, salute to you for doing what you can to keep playing, shows real commitment and love of music to perform under those circumstances.

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
Update on the weird issue that was making me insecurely start this thread:

It's still happening, and my doctor doesn't *really* know what's up with the numbness and tingling especially. Took a CT scan and the brain looks clear, so I guess that rules out the scary stuff. Her current guess is sinus infection (which I am prone to having problems with). Gonna try a 10 day antibiotic and see if that helps...I don't get why sinus stuff would cause numbness and motor control problems, but I'm willing to try the treatment and hope for the best.

Meanwhile the issues have gotten gradually more pronounced, little bouts of lightheadedness, tingling, numbness, poor left hand motor control. Messes with my typing in a very noticeable way. Sometimes makes it hard to focus my eyes, or my eyes will pull to the left. And (the deepest wound) it absolutely seizes up my left hand when I'm playing guitar.

It's getting kinda discouraging, making me not want to play at all. I can play short little things (like the very fun Name That Riff challenge, thanks @Guitarmageddon for starting that) but over the course of just a 3 minute song I'll usually have at least 2 episodes that totally freeze up my fingers for a few seconds. Especially if I try to do any lead stuff, as soon as I start going up the fretboard or whatever I'll immediately get all sideways and lock up. I can clunk through basic chords while it's happening but if I try to fret notes it's like my fingers are just lumps.

Even when I'm not actively having an episode, I feel like my overall coordination is somewhat diminished and that's frustrating too.

If this keeps up I'm seriously considering learning lapsteel and/or slide. I can do broader movements, but the fine finger movements fret to fret are what's killing me when this is going on.

It's very frustrating because it's something that I can deal with for 98% of my daily life tasks with minimal difficulty, it's not particularly debilitating, but it's absolutely railroading my guitar playing.

Ok vent session over.

I'll update again if the antibiotics do any good or I come up with any other ideas.

Beagle

Squier-holic
Nov 19, 2017
Yorkshire
I've been playing some 54 years now, the last 45 with arthritis in my hands. The only prescription that has worked for me was "keep playing". Drugs just cause more serious health problems in the long run.

Arthritis in my neck and shoulder give me weird symptoms from time to time @grizzlewulf , from numbness and tingling to something very similar to vertigo.

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
I've been playing some 54 years now, the last 45 with arthritis in my hands. The only prescription that has worked for me was "keep playing". Drugs just cause more serious health problems in the long run.

Arthritis in my neck and shoulder give me weird symptoms from time to time @grizzlewulf , from numbness and tingling to something very similar to vertigo.

Arthritis isn't beyond the realm of possibility, I'm a little young for it, but it does feel a bit like cramping sometimes...who knows

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
So one thing about guitar playing that's pretty hard to deny...it ain't easy on the body.

I've known lots of folks who have had to give up guitar and other instruments because they physically couldn't do it anymore, for one reason or another. Some have physical maladies acquired elsewhere, some specifically came from guitar.

I've only been playing regularly for a few years, and though I'm a relative young pup at 38, I'm starting to worry about some of the physical issues, wondering how to ensure I can keep going as this pile of bones that I walk around in ages. Lately I'm particularly concerned about my neck/shoulders/back, I'm feeling like I have some possible nerve issues starting...but that's another story (yes I've brought it up with my physician)

What kind of physical challenges do you have that affect your guitar playing? How do you deal with it? Looking for any tips from stretches and exercises to actual techniques you use during playing. Ergonomic adjustments, etc.
I can share some with you and perhaps it will give you some information you can use.

No scecret I am old. 80 this year. I just am getting back into playing. I have guitar straps but have to sit and play. I forgo a bad habit of looking at my hands on the positions while reaching to hit a note or chord as it is not good for back or neck and like typing, memorizing helps what you type, the same is true playing.

If you have nerve issues, a Doctor can give you an RX for pills that help get rid of some of the nerve pain. I take an RX of Gabapenten. a variety of things like AHCC, MSM, Viatamin D, C, A, B Complex just for joints, nerve pain, and bones. It does help very much. Staying active if you do not get out and walk, do it. It helps.

The gateway to health also dental issues. Dentist should make it clear on NOT using the wrong toothbrush. Over time your gums get small microscopic cuts from a too firm toothbrush which allows gum disease to take place and destroy your gums. Then tooth loss comes along. A super soft brush stops that can reverse damage done and cleans the tooth better leaving teeth feeling smooth and more clean with less effort. Floss or using a small brush they make to go in between your teeth is very good.

Diet also comes into play in life. Love your greens. Refrain from too much bread items, cakes pies pastry cut back, carrots, apples very good and grapes even better oranges great! I had two strokes and a heart attack while already in the hospital, I blame the stupid Covid restrictions as they would not allow my Wife to visit nor give me my supplements. I was suffering from pneumonia originally. With my having to be in the Hospital for about the entire year 2021, I am lucky to be alive. My recovery has been fairly good, walking now but on a darn portable machine. Currently a goal is to get off the oxygen aides as I have had some good results from what I do daily and my Doctor thinks I can meet that goal in a few more months.

Playing the guitar is also a means of improving my hands and arms strength. I am loving it.

So I hope I have given you even one thing that may help you out. You are so young and should have a long wonderful life. I have no doubt I can live to pass the age mark of 90. My Father lived to be fairly old, same with my Mother. Life is a blast! Dying is a mystery, and I really have no interest to find out what the beyond life may hold, even though I do believe there is some form of life after death.

Last edited:

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Yup! We wear out just as do the frets on our guitars. (Repairs and replacment aren't qute so easy, though.) ;)

Some things just come upon us. I started having vertigo and weakness issues, then gray and full black outs. (Had to stop working because of that).

I had a million tests. What was happening was finaly discovered when I participated (as a subject) in an advanced doppler sonargram research study, but the actual cause could only be guessed at.

Meds helped some, but not consistantly or reliably -- and the "side effects" were in some ways worse than the malody.

I took charge myself. That with my doctor (a fine man indeed!) and Jan's encourament and guidence.

Diet changes. Exercise. With the doctor's help greatly lowered (in number and dosage) amounts of medication.

Discipline. Hope. Prayer. Positivity,

Guitar-wise I went to lighter guitars (although my improved body stregnth again lets me play even my Les Paul). My hands suffer from something called Dupuytren's Contracture. Something not to common with people of my background (Ukrainian/Jewish). But I excercise them and, most recently, have started something called "red light" treatment that has made an enormous difference.

Beyond -- and as part of -- all that, is, frankly, simply endurance.

Life is what it is. It ends, always, and eventually, one way. (In my best Jimes Cagney voice... "No one gets out'a here alive.") So knowing that I just do what I can and 'get on with it,' doing what I can, when I can, with joy and as much gusto as I can manage.

Live life! Love life! :)

-don
Amazing! Beautiful sharing what you have experienced as many others have on this thread as well. Taking charge is a great moment! No Doctor is living in your life, walking in your shoes. If they can find you help, good news! But often times you can come up with things to help you the Doctor's do not.