A new Squier 51 popped up locally for a decent price, too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Squier Vintage Modified models' started by riffyrandy, May 23, 2020.

1. riffyrandy

riffyrandy Squier Talker

May 23, 2020
    asia
    Hello

I saw a listing for a blonde Squier 51 from '06, judging from the code on the headstock, recently at a local music store that im excited about. Quite wary of it though as when i asked if they could identify the date of it, they sent a pic of the original box that may have a typo on it, i think. On the box it says Squire '51 where all the codes are and im curious if this is a normal thing or something i should look into. Has anyone ever encountered something like this? Everything else about it seems to check out other than the typo. Just wanted to make sure before pulling the trigger that it isnt a fake or whatever.

Will try my best to include the photos they sent me (bare with me im new to this lol)

Also excuse me if this is a stupid question, im not all that familiar with Squiers (working on changing that)

Thanks
    sq.jpeg sq2.jpg

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  2. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Welcome to the forum. That does seem a little odd. Is it spelled correctly on the headstock? If you like it I would at least go look at it and try it.

3. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    It is just a typo as both words Squire are the same. That is just someone programming the label that didn't know how to spell Squier.

drewcp, Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  4. Paruwi

Paruwi Squier-Nut

Apr 28, 2019
    Kraut-Territory
    I don't think Fender is writing 'SQUIRE' on the package......

5. riffyrandy

riffyrandy Squier Talker

May 23, 2020
    asia
    Hi, thanks.

Yea the headstock checks out and all, just the label thats off. Maybe im just looking too much into it? Cant check it out as its quite a drive away and the country is in lockdown so no interstate travels are permitted.

6. riffyrandy

riffyrandy Squier Talker

May 23, 2020
    asia
    Seems plausible. Might have to test my luck and gamble on this one

RoyalWe and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  7. strummer101

strummer101 Squier-Meister

Jun 13, 2019
    ohio
    I bought a Squier 51 shortly after they came out, I joined a Squire 51 modding forum, I played it for awhile then upgraded to a MIM stratocaster, I just never could stay on the 51 band wagon, they just didn't do it for me. Sorry

8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    The printing on that sticker doesn't look like a fender sticker to me. I think someone else did that. I would assume the guitar is legit, if priced fairly

Edit: I say this because I don't think I have ever seen a fender sticker that has only the numbered part of the serial number. Usually, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, they would have the whole thing, like IC06......

There were definitely 51s in 2006, and it's not a valuable enough guitar, most likely, to be faked. There was a Fender version at one point. Odds are if someone was going to go through the effort to manufacture a fake '51, they would put a Fender logo on it, not Squier.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    How do you know it's a decent price if you know nothing about Squiers? How much is it??

drewcp likes this.
  10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    In the US, these trend around 200 USD, give or take depending on condition. That's rougly the same price as a new Affinity Tele or Strat.

A Bullet tele in the US is $180 right now. Considering that '51 looks like it's NOS NIB, if it's less than the equivalent cost for a Bullet Tele where you are, it's probably a pretty decent deal.

RoyalWe likes this.
  11. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Same here. I jumped all over them when they were $99 at MF, whatever year that was. Bought three within a few months. I had no fear of ruining them and I learned to file fret ends, bang down fret wire and level frets, solder, paint, replace and file nuts, replace tuners, electronics and hardware, the whole Magilla. I never did replace the pickup selector with a proper three way switch and install a tone potentiometer replacement. Maybe if I had I would've kept one. They were fun for what they were. Hopefully the people I gave them too are enjoying them. Once I was done with the '51s I built a partscaster. Sold that one at just about break even. Nice blackguard in the '50s style. The buyer sounded happy.

strummer101 likes this.