A Neck Shim Question, Pertaining to Action...

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Angry Possum, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    On the build I just did for a friend, the action needs to come down some, not a lot but some, when I lower the action, it starts to fret out. Will a neck shim help in getting the action lower without getting fret buzz? The neck is pretty much straight and has slight relief.

The build here.
    https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/just-built-a-tele-for-a-friend.181088/

Big tuna likes this.
  2. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    A shim will not help the higher frets buzzing unless the neck pocket is low on the headstock side of the neck pocket. Otherwise same problem at a new angle.

Try removing all the relief, if those two things didn't fix it you need to do some fret work. Some times it is just a couple and not the whole fret, if you are lucky.

DougMen and Angry Possum like this.
  3. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have to agree with Davey. On many occasions when I haven't been able to get the upper fret action low enough by lowering the saddles without buzzing, I would tighten the truss rod and it worked every time, as long as I wasn't tightening so much as to cause back-bow. It will bring the action down above the 12th fret without even touching the bridge saddles. I even had an email discussion with a tech who had posted an article online about how the truss rod should not be used to adjust action. I told him what I just said, and he agreed with me completely, and said that what he meant was that the truss rod should not be the PRIMARY way to adjust action, but as a useful additional tweak when required.

Davey and Angry Possum like this.