A Little Drought Relief......Finally!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by jamndad, Jan 9, 2017.

1. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    We're getting good rain, finally, out here in California. Unfortunately, there are areas vulnerable to flooding and the Kern River is on the rise. Here's a couple of pics of the river, one, east of town that shows the beauty of the area, the other, just west of the downtown area of Bakersfield, which hasn't seen water in nearly a decade, IIRC.

FB_IMG_1483995957671.jpg

20170108_144733.jpg

Brever, Pat V., vlxerdon and 2 others like this.
  2. fett

fett Squier-holic

Jun 10, 2015
    Lynnwood, WA
    Be careful what you wish for.

Brever and jamndad like this.
  3. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Absolutely. I reckon it's just inevitable that some folks will suffer from this series of storms.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    too much is almost always better than not enough ? there will collateral damage - circle of life ?

Brever, surf green and jamndad like this.
  5. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    It would be nice if the rain would fill the reservoirs rather than run off into the ocean. How much more water does the Pacific need anyway?

Brever and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. fett

fett Squier-holic

Jun 10, 2015
    Lynnwood, WA
    Years ago, I lived in Marin County. We had the rains you are getting. I commuted to SF in whopper passenger ferry boat. The Bay was flushing out the Golden Gate like a overflown river. All the Captain had to do was park the ship. It took 5 attempts to do it.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Dallas
    I'm sorry for those adversely affected but happy for others and for the countryside.

8. squierplayer

squierplayer Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2011
    Wi USA
    That is beautiful country! I've heard of flooding in Nevada today. I hope no damage is done and you folks get the water you need. Here's one of my favorite Merle songs.

jamndad likes this.
  9. jay_red

jay_red Squier-Meister

Oct 25, 2016
    USA
    I am in Sacramento and we have been getting hit pretty hard, my backyard has been about 2-3 inches deep since it started, it does not drain very well. The nearby city of Marysville has evacuation notices because they are lower and have 2 rivers that are prone to flooding.

What is ridiculous is that other states probably think we are pathetic, our infrastructure can't handle 2-3 days of rain, we are so used to only getting partial days of rain here and there that when it really comes down for a little bit we go into flood watch.