A little advice needed please...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Skipperuk, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Skipperuk

Skipperuk Squier Talker

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    I have inherited this guitar, I know nothing about guitars, so thought I’d get some advice from you knowledgeable people!
    Any info would be great- is it something that is saleable?
    I have attached a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Welcome to the forum!! It's a Korean E10 ST-362, worth about 300-350 quid in the UK....made only in 1987/88 by Young Chang factory in Korea....the bridge pickup it looks like it's aftermarket, and the little toggle switch isn't original either....

3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Headstock says Made in Korea ...

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    I've edited my post.....I zoomed in on pics more :)

5. Skipperuk

Skipperuk Squier Talker

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    Thank you so much! As I can’t play and am probably too long in the tooth to learn, I better try to find out where I would sell one of these in the UK. Thanks so much for taking the time out to help me. Skipper.

6. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

I imagine you could learn enough to please yourself. There are a lot of us, here, in that category. Don't be too quick to get rid of it. ;)

Eddd, ScoobySnacker, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  7. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    If you are big enough to hold a guitar, guitar playing knows no age limits. That applies to advanced or Beginners.

Welcome to Squier-Talk. Sit down, sit a spell, have a pint and learn some guitar. You're too young to quit before you start. We have beginners who are decades older than you. Have fun.

8. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Yes, it's never too old to learn to play.

Check out www.justinguitar.com

It's the best gift you can give yourself. :)

Keep the guitar. It's a nice one.

9. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    It looks like it wants you to play it ! Give it a try !

10. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2016
    Sackville, NB, Canada
    Don't forget that you don't have to learn to play to please anybody else.
    I never play in front of people, and I still enjoy hearing the noises I make, typically through headphones. It's a kind of meditation for me.

Paruwi, Eddd, ScoobySnacker and 5 others like this.
  11. Skipperuk

Skipperuk Squier Talker

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    Ah, I am a huge music lover, but am a full time mum, with a full time business and really struggle to fit time in for myself. Me - I love to dance. So you play it and I’ll jiggle around the kitchen!

DrBeGood, Eddd, MI redneck and 6 others like this.
  12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    If you're a full time Mom & have a full time business, you need the guitar. Some down time for just you. As
    @John L Rose said, it can be an excellent form of meditation, recharge the batteries a bit. Learn one chord a week, every two weeks or a month. There is no time frame to learn to play. An electric is so much easier to play and learn on, given the construction and type of strings. Especially if you have a good guitar, which you do.

If you are determined to sell, I'm sure there are a number of Squier-Talk members near you which would be glad to give you a fair price for the guitar.

13. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    If you don't want to play it, it's certainly worth good, hard, cold cash, as mentioned above.

It would also make a great gift if you have a loved one in mind who would appreciate it. If you can hold onto it and gift it at a special occasion, it may give you more pleasure than the nominal, yet significant, cash value. Good luck whatever you decide.

Eddd, ScoobySnacker, dbrian66 and 4 others like this.
  14. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Keep it, learn it, live it, ok you get the point....:D Its a beautiful guitar, I would keep it...

15. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    That's a beautiful guitar. Good luck with the sale.

16. mozilla

mozilla Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2020
    Austin Texas
    Welcome to the forum.

It's a great color!

Watched a video from Billy Cox(Jimi's bass player).....he remarked...."Jimi fit 20 years of guitar learning/playing into 5 years."
    I am the opposite of that....20 years of playing has totaled about 5 years of real learning.
    Either way...it's all about having fun and getting better.
    I say keep it....or sell it in our Classifieds to one of our UK members.
    Best wishes from Texas.

17. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I'm even worse. There are 9 year olds who are outplaying me. Makes me feel like chit.

Eddd, ScoobySnacker, dbrian66 and 4 others like this.
  18. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've been playing for over 50 years, and I consider myself pretty good, but all the young men AND especially the young women on Instagram make me look like a beginner! Contrary to many who have speculated that young people aren't interested in guitar and rock music, and it will die along with the boomers, the electric guitar is, to quote Johnny Winter, Still Alive and Well! It's a great thing to see so much amazing young talent!

Eddd, MI redneck, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  19. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    @Guitarmageddon Hey, you're back! Very happy to see you!

20. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    I totally second what has already been said. It's a gorgeous guitar! If you need the money that it is worth, then sell it.
    If you don't, try to learn guitar and enjoy!
    As a beginner and an adult with a demanding job, I've realized that the issue is not so much how many hours you can put in than how often can you play? Fifteen minutes every two days would imo be better than two full hours every Sunday.

And never ever look at whatever teenage guitar players do on Youtube. Learning as an adult is totally different. You'll probably pick up theory much faster, but you'll realistically have less time to practice overall (unless you can practice in front of the tv in the evening).

I second what Jefffam said. Learn bitesize lessons (for ex. with Justin guitar, Helen Ibe, Andy guitar, Marty Schwartz, Steve Stine, Andrew Wasson... they are all on Youtube.) Or use Fender play on your mobile. They have very short lessons.

Guitar playing is a very relaxing and quite addictive pastime. The first time you practice something and one of your loved ones comes into the room and starts singing along is a pretty special experience.

By the way, we have a thread here for beginners. Most of us are adults.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Paruwi, Eddd, MI redneck and 2 others like this.