A Humbucker?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by fadetoz, Aug 7, 2020.

1. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I have made a point to use a SSS configuration in my Strats for years. I have had a couple humbuckers but they were not really used. I finally caved and setup this white Strat with a Guitar Madness 57 Alnico II humbucker paired with a set of MIM ceramic singles. The pick guard is a modified SSS too. IDK why but I just like the look of a white Strat with a black humbucker in the bridge. I also swapped the neck today and put my 2012 MIM neck with a bone nut on it.

Tomorrow I'm planning on hooking up this Ultimate distortion pedal and running through my USA built Fender Blues Deluxe amp and see what this rig sounds like. It has the effects loop attenuator mod so my ears don't bleed.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200807222943499_COVER.jpg

2. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Nice set up, I had the Blues Deluxe for a while, Sweet,,,Loud

3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    It is loud but I got the DR Watson Lion tamer for it and that makes it so much more usable at lower volume. I'm sure the Pot could be changed to a linear or audio one or whatever is the one they should have used but this is an easy fix.
    IMG_20200807_232430.jpg

4. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    I've always gone sss over hss, but I saw a cheap VM yesterday for sale with the same white ss black h and it was very tempting. My main gripe is the volume difference between pickups and the dilemma of what kind of pots to use. I recently thought of trying an hss with 3 volumes and no tone or selector switch.

5. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I love HSS strats, also like HH strats, always liked the SSS ones too :D

This is why a guy needs lots of guitars right?

6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Since I got the Strat with a humbucker I decided it was time to take the 20 minutes and put the new Celestion speaker in my Blues Deluxe. I like it much better. Sounds like it was covered by a blanket and I took the blanket off. I don't know why but I just don't care for the Emenence speakers that are stock in the Blues Deluxe or the Jet City 2x12 cab I have. That cab is on my list to replace speakers in too.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200809160223976.jpg
    MVIMG_20200808_220251.jpg MVIMG_20200808_221348.jpg MVIMG_20200808_221354.jpg MVIMG_20200808_222809.jpg

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Those Celestion A series speakers are getting a lot of love everywhere. I think they hit a home run with those.

fadetoz, dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  8. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-holic

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    @fadetoz - do you know if that DR Watson would work on the Fx loop of other fender amps, like the FM 212 or Fm 65? Great gadget.

fadetoz and dbrian66 like this.
  9. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I'm not sure if it would or not. There are allot of volume pedals that would do the same thing. I have a mini pedal that would work too. I had a 212 and it had that issue where it was 0 to Loud as *&% and no bedroom levels.
    upload_2020-8-10_8-9-59.png

10. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Pretty gnarly dude.

fadetoz likes this.
  11. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Nice grit coming out of that guitar!

fadetoz likes this.
  12. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    @fadetoz - with that pedal, were you able to crank the amp volume and gain and still get that cranked dirty tone at a lower volume with the pedal? I looked it up on Amazon and the description is not clear on that point. Personal experience is always better. Thanks.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D5QTMT0/?tag=squiertalk-20

fadetoz likes this.
  13. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    It's not the same as a real attenuator. It would be more like using a volume pedal
    Short answer is no. The real attenuators go between the amp output and speaker. Behringer makes an attenuator that is about $100 if I remember correctly. I have one and it works good but don't buy it for the direct out with cab simulation. That sounds strange from what I found testing mine.

14. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Thanks!

fadetoz likes this.