'99 Stagemaster...

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal Thunder' started by Fredline, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Fredline

Fredline Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2020
    Seattle, WA
    I was killing time at GC while my gf was picking her stuff up from the Apple store. I was perusing the used gear section when I ran across this '99 MIC Stagemaster:
    20210116_150110.jpg
    It played really nice, so I put some money down to hold it until it clears theft check in a few weeks. I can change my mind before then but for $99 it seemed to good to pass up. Anyone own one of these?

2. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Those are cool ones! Sure thing, its Licensed Floyd Rose bridge won't be great, but that's to be expected in anything under $1000 new and half of that used.

These guitars were usually well made and have some specs I dare to say you'll hardly ever see again from Squier, Fender had bought Jackson in the early 2000s to fill the Metal market that they were never quite successful in and, besides some rare notable models, have abandoned the Superstrat concept in favor of Jackson.

If you like it, go for it! $99 sounds like a great price for these, I'm always amazed at how little some Stage and Showmasters go for despite being great guitars.

SoCalJim and Fredline like this.
  3. Fredline

Fredline Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2020
    Seattle, WA
    Ya, I like the neck & headstock. Cool how it's reverse and says "Standard". There's a smooth curved, carve where the bottom of the neck meets the body which is different then a normal strat. I'm guessing the color is Frost Red. For the price and condition I'm finding it hard to say no.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Kenneth Mountain and SoCalJim like this.
  4. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    I love stagemasters, but could never get along with the licensed bridge.

Kenneth Mountain and Fredline like this.
  5. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    For $99, not much room to say 'no' on that !
    Looks to be in great cosmetic shape from the pic. I guess you already looked at this page:
    http://www.squierwiki.com/Stagemaster-HH-(1st-Version) . ..

EDIT: I have paid more, for LESS!

Kenneth Mountain, drewcp and Fredline like this.
  6. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    @aoresteen is the resident stagemaster afficiando if I recall correctly

7. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I had an HSH and the neck on it was nice. Pickups were the weak point and I decided I just don’t like Floyd Rose style bridges so I unloaded but it was a good guitar. For $99 you cant really go wrong

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. SuiCyco4Life

SuiCyco4Life Squier-Meister

Jan 1, 2021
    Texas
    I have had opportunities to buy 2 of them. But they were asking in the $300 dollar range. I know a guy who has a purple one with reverse matching headstock and no pickguard. The only thing that has stopped me is the tremolo. If i ever do get it i will buy a tremel-no gadget. That seems to be the best way to deal with Floyd Rose type bridges.

9. aoresteen

aoresteen Squier-Nut

Oct 31, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    Thanks! Now onto the Stagemaster. $99 is a STEAL. If you do not like it PM me and I will take it off your hands :) . My count of V1 1999 Stagemasters is now 11 (plus a V1 neck that I put on a different style body) . Pickugardian as I write this is making me two new pick guards for two 99's that I am modding right now (A xxH & a SSS).

These are great guitars! Their weak link are the crappy pickups. When I get a '99 Stagemaster in, here's what I do to them.

1. Replace the strap buttons with Schaller/Fender StrapLocks.

2. Replace the bridge block with a heavier custom 37mm brass block. The '99 bridge block uses 4mm screws to hold it in, not the normal Floyd Rose bridge block 5mm screws. Stock brass block weighs 120g. Replacement block weights 194g. I then measure the string saddle heights with a digital micrometer and put the saddles in the correct order. 90% of the time the saddles are in the wrong order.

3. Replace the trem springs with a new set of FR springs FR part # FR1TS. Old worn trem springs are the #1 reason why a FR bridge won't float correctly.

4. Replace the trem arm with a Floyd Rose chrome push-in trem arm part # FRTAPIP.

5. I have a new pick guard & a rear trem cover made by PickGuardian (Tony Duzik) for all my '99 V1 guitars. I do NOT have the two access slots cut into the new trem covers. All the slot openings do is to invite someone to stick a screw driver in them and "fix" the guitar.

6. Install new pickups. I generally use DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan pickups or Kevin Learned /Onamac Windery pickups. Lately I have been setting up my '99 Stagemasters for SSS - a configuration that Squier never made. If the guitar has 3 pickups (HSH, SSS, HSS, or HHH) I install a tone pot Push/Pull and wire in the Gilmour mod - pull up on the tone pot and the neck pickup is forced on - AKA 7 position switching. Used mainly to get the bridge & neck pickups on at the same time but you can also get all 3 on at the same time. If the guitar has two humbuckers HH with 4 wire leads, I install a 5 way Super switch and use it to split the coils. With HH guitars sometime I use a P/P volume pot to put the neck pickup out of phase with the bridge pickup.

I have had all good V1 necks save one - it had a bit of a wrap so my tech pulled the frets, leveled the fret board, and then installed new frets. Not cheap but the guitar plays like butter.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  10. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Killer Deal ! Congrats !

Fredline likes this.
  11. aoresteen

aoresteen Squier-Nut

Oct 31, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    Technically it is "Frost Red (577)" :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagemaster

Also, make sure the string retaining bar behind the nut is low enough to force the string to make full contact with the back of the nut. If your strings go sharp when you tighten down the locking screws on the nut, the retaining bar is too high. I see this a lot with my FR equipped Stagemasters.

Fredline likes this.
  12. Fredline

Fredline Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2020
    Seattle, WA
    Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it.
    I won't get to put my hands on it until after February 11th.

13. fadetoz

fadetoz Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I would buy it rite now.. What a score!!!

duzie likes this.