82 jv series

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by Phaser 7, Mar 28, 2021.

Any thought

1. Jv series

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 82

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Phaser 7

Phaser 7 Squier Talker

Mar 28, 2021
    Canada
    Hey Everyone!
    I’m new here and just procured an 82 jv series off the original owner last week.
    Thought I’d post some pictures.
    I paid 750.00 and was wondering If I got a good deal? 9F04B798-8C5D-4A34-90A8-A60E61BA1474.png C8E4FCE8-A480-497F-B448-8C3B47137EBB.jpeg B150801E-2870-483F-AD2A-CE54136C0E17.jpeg 50182438-745C-4B55-9E9C-77F68DD528FB.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Nice, I think you got a very good deal indeed. Welcome to the forum.

Kenneth Mountain and Robb like this.
  3. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Great deal man ! Welcome to ST !!!

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  4. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-Meister Gold Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Welcome to ST. Great looking guitar.

Kenneth Mountain and Robb like this.
  5. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Those are the ones most of us dream about finding.
    Lucky guy... hulk-afraid (2).jpg

6. Phaser 7

Phaser 7 Squier Talker

Mar 28, 2021
    Canada
    Thanks for the welcome. It’s about time I joined something I’m so I interested In. My only thoughts are that the pickups sound a little thin but maybe that’s just there characteristic more than anything. My American strat is a bit more warmer. However I absolutely love the neck ,it’s shape is the thinnest of my Strats and the finish is thick and almost a softer feeling.
    As you can see the pots only say 250 k and have no other significant markings nor do the pickups but everything is stock I’m assured and the man I bought it off of was in his late sixties. He bought it at a music store on Vancouver island , Canada in 82’. It’s tempting to switch out the pickups but I will leave everything as it is because it’s the oldest guitar I have by a long shot and I wouldn’t want to tamper with a piece of squire history like that.

7. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    You don't see many of the Squier series models in the wild. Congrats on the deal of a lifetime .

8. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Those pickups are the original US pickups, the same as fitted to the original AVRIs. The guitar is an absolute classic in it's own right.

Kenneth Mountain and Shine like this.
  9. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    First edition Fender Squier series export Strat:

Same basic specs as an early domestic Fender ST-65, with the the following variations (not lower spec just different).
    Serial numbers startJV0xxxx.

Always either two or 3 tone sunburst poly over (most commonly) a sen wood body, usually with an extra channel routed between the neck pickup cavity and the neck pocket (usually no markings in the neck pocket).

Neck can have either a Fender or Greco truss rod adjuster nut (the Fender ones are drilled).
    Can be either 7.25" or 9.5" fingerboard radius.

Earliest ones have a red S stamp in the neck pickup cavity.
    The pots are usually coded between 10k and 23k (no wire ground link across the bases of the pots).

3 way DM-30 switch is most common, but 5 way switches (of various types) were also fitted.

American bridge saddles most often, but not in every case

Pickups are 1982 American Fullerton greys and / or reds and 1980 X-1's (plain PVC wires).

The ST-65's of the time will not have the extra routed channel and usually have alder bodies (1983 export Squier JV's are pretty much rebranded ST-65 Fenders).

Only the ST-85 and ST-115 had nitro finished bodies.

10. Phaser 7

Phaser 7 Squier Talker

Mar 28, 2021
    Canada
    Holy cow. You know your stuff. By the sounds of it based on your examination of the pictures it’s the real deal which I was not questioning. I can’t remember if it has an S D27B195E-2845-465E-B3C0-09F24120CFAD.jpeg 96893496-41F3-4264-9C2C-EABB30C8C9E4.jpeg D63B3C18-7284-4BC4-8586-8D2BC7ABBCB5.png AF60D8F4-3AFD-4E2D-BF93-EAADE1C14FB3.jpeg D27B195E-2845-465E-B3C0-09F24120CFAD.jpeg stamp but there was a 8s or s8 stamp in the pots cavity . I will post more pictures now.
    It’s in almost perfect condition but has a slight vintage scent which is fading because I have it hanging for my my appreciation which may not be a good idea either but it is a dark room. The strange thing is I thought they were made for Europe but It was purchased in Western Canada so that’s odd.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Kenneth Mountain, Shine and Viking like this.
  11. Phaser 7

Phaser 7 Squier Talker

Mar 28, 2021
    Canada
    Unfortunately the three way selector is a bit dodgy and could use some electronic spray cleaner but I don’t know much about that kind of maintenance. Hey Thanks for your input guys much appreciated.

12. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    I know a little but the info was a straight copy and paste from another member thread. He deserves the credit

Kenneth Mountain and Viking like this.
  13. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    It's a long time since I saw Rockape.

UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand all got them for sure.

Kenneth Mountain and lespaul1968 like this.
  14. Phaser 7

Phaser 7 Squier Talker

Mar 28, 2021
    Canada
    Thanks
    Also the info was still very helpful despite its origin.

Kenneth Mountain and lespaul1968 like this.
  15. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    @rockape originally provided the info about the JV that was posted here

16. Phaser 7

Phaser 7 Squier Talker

Mar 28, 2021
    Canada
    Thanks I figured that out a second to late.
    Still learning

Kenneth Mountain and beagle like this.
  17. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    Sometimes you need a sources tab in a thread. lol

Kenneth Mountain, Shine and beagle like this.
  18. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
    Congratulations on your new guitar. There are not many of those first Squier series JVs out there. To get one in that condition is amazing. A piece of Squier and Fender history. Enjoy!
    Also thanks for sharing the photos.

I would strongly advise leaving the guitar as is, given that it appears in original condition. Hell of a guitar.

Kenneth Mountain, Shine and beagle like this.
  19. Phaser 7

Phaser 7 Squier Talker

Mar 28, 2021
    Canada
    Thanks for taking the time to comment on my new jv series squire. I’ve been playing it all week. You know the more I play different guitars I learn more about the subtle differences between guitars which is sometimes hard to put your finger on. Mike Campbell once said in an interview that each guitar has its sweet spot expensive, cheap old or new. I think I’m beginning to understand that slowly. This guitar definitely has some special quality’s about it. I’m really glad I had the chance to buy it. I live in a small town and it just wouldn’t have happened any other way through a friend of a friend word of mouth type of thing. I will take your advice and leave it completely stock. Hopefully my young daughter who plays herself will enjoy it for decades to come when I’m gone. That is my hope as the older get the more I regret selling any of my guitars in the past and hope that’s all behind me. Besides I’m sure the guy who sold it to me knew it was worth more but wanted to see it in the hands of someone who appreciated it and you really have to honour those deals in my book.
    Thanks again look forward to being part of the forum. Cheers ! Here’s hoping everyone gets a chance to get there hands on a truly unique guitar.