$80,000 Martin Guitar ...kinda nutty IMO.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by billyb, Oct 22, 2020.

1. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    That's a lot of rosewood

HikerDave likes this.
  2. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I'd rather just buy 160 $500 guitars. Okay, maybe I'd be more responsible and pay off all my credit card debt, then only buy 145 $500 guitars.

3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
  4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    That's about $79,000 over budget...

5ofeight and billyb like this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

I guess my taste isn't for high priced fancy things in general. My wife and I just bought a nice used car. As we were shopping around, she gravitated toward the leather seats, electronics, and other high-end options and I liked the stripped down versions with cloth seats and few features that were a couple thousand cheaper. It's really going to be driven mostly by her, since I much prefer motorcycles, so I told her to let me know what she wanted that would make her happy. I enjoyed seeing her face light up when I said that. We got one she picked out. Actually it's paying off because she's volunteering to run errands I used to have to do. I'm sure that won't last long though. :)

CVSteve, 5ofeight and Davis Sharp like this.
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Brazilian rosewood and Adirondack Spruce will drive up prices for sure.

On the bright side, it's only $1667/month for 48 months.

7. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    I figure if a person has any affiliation with the Squier Forum, they probably have a very practical balance between aesthetics, function, and the value of a dollar. That is to say, I don’t think many folks here would be seriously interested in that guitar.

The $80,000 guitar has a price associated with it that is more than the sum of it’s parts, materials, craftsmanship, and branding warrants. It’s value (to me) is intangible, and largely determined by perception.
    To me, it’s an absurd item. But I have a very working/middle class outlook. I know that there are individuals for whom this would be a trifling purchase... they might deliberate it less than I do a new pair of work boots.
    I don’t envy them.

wonkenstein likes this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    For $80k you could buy a far better sounding vintage Martin from the Golden Age, made with much better Brazilian than they have now!

wonkenstein likes this.
  9. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    You can get a 1936 000-28 at Carters for $40k

wonkenstein likes this.
  10. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Christian Frederick Martin has a very expensive Martin. And he can't even play.

11. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    The Brazilian stock they've got now is basically all they've got left from the stumps they left standing years ago on the land they still own. CITES treaty banned export of it in 1965 - the last Martin to leave the production line with Brazilian rosewood back and sides was a D 45 in 1969 because they already had the wood. Years ago you'd be more likely to have your backs and sides quartersawn, but these days flatsawn is acceptable, primarily because that's mostly what they've got left. My last tour of the Martin factory I learned that you could get Brazilian on any model they make for an extra $5000. So yeah, custom orders only for those who can! I'd personally be afraid to have an $80,000 instrument. I'd be afraid to play it, let alone let anybody else play it. I'll bet there's room for this guitar in the Vatican though.....

billyb likes this.
  12. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    A different world from me, i'm sure its a nice guitar and very well made, 80,000 is an over priced object of wood and glue made for collectors imho.

13. HikerDave

HikerDave Squier Talker

Feb 23, 2020
    Tempe, Arizona
    I played two otherwise identical Yamaha classical guitars with rosewood vs mahogany back and sides and couldn’t tell the difference. I can barely tell the difference in the online demos of Martin D-18 vs D-28 so that guitar would be wasted on me.

drewcp likes this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The reason that Martin went to Indian rosewood in '69 was because the Brazilian govt. wouldn't let Martin import raw logs, and they required them to be sawed in Brazil before export, and that was unacceptable to Martin. It wasn't because Martin had enough Brazilian rosewood. They switched then from Brazilian to Indian rosewood.

wonkenstein and drewcp like this.
  15. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Actually according to the CITES agreement of 1965 nobody was allowed to take Brazilian rosewood out of the country.... even if they owned the land that they were harvesting the logs from, which Martin did at the time. Martin definitely didn't find that to be acceptable since they owned the land and the lumber and didn't want the lumber milled anywhere but in their Nazareth factory. The Brazilian government effectively froze Martin's assets.

So when that last D45 came off the line in 1969 that was also the very last guitar Martin had enough Brazilian rosewood in stock on US soil for. Also exactly as you mention at the time, effectively world wide the entire guitar industry went to Indian rosewood for new production because it was readily available, but if they already had a supply of Brazilian in the factory (the major US companies did) and had the provenance proving you already owned it you could use it. At this point most of them just had enough for milling fingerboards.

Nowadays if you've got a guitar in the US made with Brazilian or other contraband materials like an ivory nut, saddle or inlay you can't even cross the Canadian border without reams of documentation. As far as the ivory, you'd have to prove it was fossilized and had been in the ground already and not taken from a live elephant or walrus.

It's important to note that the CITES agreement was done internationally as a global measure to stop the poaching and illegal transport of this wood - the biggest offenders were the furniture manufacturers at the time, not the guitar manufacturers. But illegal harvest and transport for furniture manufacturers wasn't very traceable. Since US guitar makers were actually harvesting, importing and transporting woods legally they were more visible and made an example of.

It's entirely probable that Martin was the most visible because they were using more Brazilian rosewood than the other guitar companies. They used it for backs, sides, bridges and fingerboards on regular production D 28, D35, D41 and D45 models. Fender, Gibson and Guild were also using Brazilian, mostly for fingerboards, but Gibson and Guild were building archtops and flat top acoustics and used it for bridges, too. Not as many Gibson and Guild acoustic models used this wood for backs and sides. But there are a few American guitars out there manufactured through the 70s that have a Brazilian fingerboard. Not very common but they do turn up.

billyb likes this.
  16. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    It is $79,950.00 over budget.

17. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Way over my budget, too!

18. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I'm not sure what they could do or put into a guitar to make it worth that much.

billyb likes this.
  19. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

But it has 7 positive reviews!

billyb, fadetoz and Davis Sharp like this.