20th anniversary bullet strat or SE strat

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by fluffy391, Oct 17, 2020.

1. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier Talker

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    I need your help again!
    I've stumbled on a squier bullet strat which has been upgraded with a loaded pickguard, previously on a fender strat. It's also had a setup done on it and a new set of strings put on. They're asking for $420 AUD, but it is negotiable. I reckon I could get it down to $390.
    Any thoughts on whether it is worth it? I'm getting mixed reviews about the bullet strat online; while some people say it is a decent guitar, others say it is absolute garbage and should never be bought.

I have also found a Squier strat SE, however it seems to be a bit worn from age. It comes with a case though. They are asking for $260.

Should I just keep my wallet in my pocket until their prices go down?

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Firstly, anyone who actually knows anything about guitars will never say they are garbage.

They are fine guitars if set up correctly, like anything else.
    I've been playing for 30 odd years, and my two old Bullets are among my favorite players.

It would help to post some pics here, particularly with regard to the upgraded pickguard. That can make a big difference to what's it's worth.
    If it is, for example, a loaded pickguard from a Mex Strat , then it could be a good buy.
    If it's from an American Strat, it's an even better buy, but we need to see pics.
    I'm sure, you guys in Oz have a similar problem to me , in that prices do not relate to the low prices in the US?

A Standard Bullet here new is around $220 US, so where I am, that seems a fair price if the electronics are real upgrades, and of course ,the rest of the guitar is in mint condition.

If we relate it directly to the US price, then it's expensive, but I can't do that here, not sure of the new pricing in Oz so you would have to check that.

drewcp, dbrian66 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I certainly would not pay that much for EITHER.....even in Australia where things are more expensive....

No Squier is absolute garbage.....those are what you call 'brand snobs' that need to have Fender on the headstock....

dbrian66, drewcp and brians like this.
  4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    With the bullet it depends on the electronics .

With the SE it depends on the case .

You have pics ?

drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  5. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I say unless you're hurting for cash, get both. :)

dogmatic, drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  6. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier Talker

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    sorry, i'm just getting the hang of this forum. I'll post some pictures when I can get on my laptop.

BlueTele, dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  7. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier Talker

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    Here's the images for the 20th anniversary squier strat. The seller has some specs listed: vintage hot output singles, RWRP middle, pickups, CTS volume, tones, 5 way on parchment guard with trem plate cover, not particularly sure which model the hardware came form though. I'm just worried about the bullet strat fretboard as I've heard it's not as good.

Attached Files:

8. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier Talker

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    And here are the images on the SE. The pickups and the tone knobs look a bit old tbh and the fingerboard looks like it needs conditioning. I missed out on a white version from the same seller earlier this year, which was in a much better condition. The seller is a bit dishonest though, they said they were going to sell it to me and then ended up selling it to another buyer. So I'm not sure if I should trust this seller.

In regards to Oly white SE's, anyone know how common they are and where to find one? I really want one but I can't find another since I missed out earlier this year.

Attached Files:

• se1.JPG
      se1.JPG
      File size:
      75.4 KB
      Views:
    • se2.JPG
      se2.JPG
      File size:
      71.6 KB
      Views:
    • se3.JPG
      se3.JPG
      File size:
      66.6 KB
      Views:
    dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  9. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    White SE models are rare even here in the states and almost always fetch a premium. I see burst and black SEs all the time for 40-80 USD and white ones are almost never under 100

StratVegas and dbrian66 like this.
  10. Shine

Shine Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    Well, they're both nice looking guitars. However, a couple of concerns.

First of all, if you're wary of the seller, trust your intuition. Second, guitar modifications rarely recoup their cost when sold on.

I would go check them out if you can, and if you like one and are happy with the deal, cool. If you get neither, don't worry. There will be more :D

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier Talker

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I will wait until another good quality guitar comes out until I buy one. Hopefully there's a good one before Christmas.

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Looks like a MIM Standard Strat loaded guard to me.

While this is an upgrade from the stock electronics ,it's not a big upgrade in my book . Not enough of one to pay that much more for.

drewcp likes this.
  13. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier Talker

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    Thanks for the information. I will wait to see if the seller drops the price further to a reasonable price range.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  14. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    For an entry Squier, those are good upgrades, pots , switch and pickups and three ply guard, I would be tempted by that one it's a really nice guitar.

15. Nduro

Nduro Squier Talker

Oct 17, 2020
    Poland
    it's good, but not at the price either.

16. campermoose

campermoose Squier-Meister

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    Now I am digging through Sydney Marketplace :)

This ($475 AUD?) and this ($500 AUD?) sounds pretty good, providing the asking price is in AUD, and is negotiable.

17. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier Talker

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    That being said, I may be able to secure a deal with the person selling a white SE. What do you think is a reasonable price for an SE which has just been setup and serviced, but everything is still stock? I have the deal at $270 AUD right now.