$200 for MIM Strat?! Vs SQ how does it compare?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by surfrodguitar, May 18, 2017.

1. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    $200 on Let Go asking. Is it worth a look? IMG_8724.JPG

Vs my SQ is it similar tone, feel? Anyone have both or play both can give me an idea? Is it worth a look?

2. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    MIM Strat for $200 ??? thats a "grab it now" price, unless there is something wrong with it. MIMs sell for $300+ used these days. I have MIMs and Squiers - lots of debate about better/worse/etc ... MIM is going to have the nice "big" trem block, and nice ceramic single-coils (I REALLY like the MIM pups myself) - but for the most part they are on a similar level to the Squier CVs (IMHO)

chimneysweep, nitro and surfrodguitar like this.
  3. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    The 200.00 one looks like a partscaster

4. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    if its a partscaster, not an MIM standard hss, then who knows if its worth $200 - good eye!

It DOES seem to say "seymour duncan" on that bridge HB - may be some nice pups in there

5. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

6. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Do you mean an SQ series from the early 80s? Or various Squier models in general?

Personally, I dislike the necks I have encountered on the MIMs so much that I avoid them all together. I would pay more than $200 for a Squier than $200 (or $300) on a MIM.

If this is a partscaster, well you have to be the judge if you like it and think it's worth it.

7. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Yeah, $200 is a good deal and I don't have a hss strat. I might give it a look.

8. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
  9. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Yes, SQ from the 80's. as that's my go to Strat. If it doesn't compare, I won't bother with the MIM.

so1om likes this.
  10. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    If the frets are in good shape and the neck is straight the loaded neck is worth that alone. I would be looking.

surfrodguitar likes this.
  11. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago

Ah ok. I have a 1983 SQ and for me, it's far superior to all MIMs I have played and all the CVs and VMs.. Maybe as a backup or "the other strat" but not as a first choice. That's just me though.

12. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Nut

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've been wary of Fender Strats because of the Partscaster issue. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell the difference. I wound up buying a new MIM because I didn't want to risk $300 on a Partscaster.

Someone offered me a trade on my PRS-SE for a MIM Strat. I initially agreed ... but had to reneg because I can't be certain what he's offering me was totally legit.

surfrodguitar and so1om like this.
  13. squierjosh

squierjosh Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2010
    MN
    Not all MIMs have the big trem blocks and CTS pots, that all started in 2006 or so. Before that, they were small blocks and mini pots.

14. jjudas

jjudas Squier-Nut

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I have 2 MIMs that play better than any Squier that I've played. The 2000 plays like a MIA. It has a fantastic neck! Although my E9 Squier MIA is almost equal now to my MIMs since the upgrades. My MIMs only cost $140 and $150. I love my Squiers but my Mexican Fenders are just better quality, better necks and heavier... they feel like a professional grade instrument.

Eddie and surfrodguitar like this.
  15. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-Nut

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Well the only way to know is for me to try it out.

16. mikm

mikm Squier-holic

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    If you can play it and like it, then maybe give it a shot! It's definitely not a stock MIM. Maybe not a partscaster either. Could be a MIM with some mods but basically most of it is still stock.The nut is not stock, or the knobs. I'm thinking the pickguard is not either, plus that pickup so all the electronics could be swapped out but probably for the better. But who knows! Try and low ball the price! Good luck.