2 more Days

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by MrYeats, May 25, 2020.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Hey fellas. I pulled thru on the knee replacement. I will have lots of ass time now and while I am coherent enough to write, I will do here.
    The surgery went well, the nurses were pretty and they kept looking up my "skirt" while I was in bed at the hospital. Don't know what they were looking for! :D
    I start therapy on Tuesday, and this is the grueling part of the whole deal, Getting in and out of the car....
    So much codeine, so little time... Thank God for Opioids.

2. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Glad to read that everything went well!

mb doug, MI redneck and MrYeats like this.
  3. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Way to go. Modern medical science is imperfect, but still amazing. A couple of generations ago, people with knees like yours lived a life of pain and painkillers. You'll be walking around without pain in a few months, assuming you adhere to the PT schedule.I

Good luck!

mb doug, MI redneck and MrYeats like this.
  4. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Believe me, I know, this is my 2nd and last...Until they come for the WeeKnee...:rolleyes:

mb doug and MI redneck like this.
  5. BlueTele

BlueTele Squier-Meister

Aug 29, 2019
    Waleska, Georgia
    Thanks for the update! Keep us in the loop on how therapy is going - some of us will be future patients I'm sure.

mb doug, MrYeats and MI redneck like this.
  6. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Very glad things went O.K. Therapy will be tons of fun (not), but the end result is the thing to keep your focus on. Glad to see you posting. Yes, Opiods can be a help, sometimes for intense pain.

Taurus, mb doug and MrYeats like this.
  7. MI redneck

MI redneck Squier-Meister

May 7, 2020
    MI
    Glad to hear things went well. Get some rest and get ready to take on PT like a Boss! Do it, but don't over do it trying to get through it.
    Thanks for the update and best wishes for a very speedy recovery!

mb doug likes this.
  8. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Yes, I am not, nor have I ever been a junkie but I did notice the difference in the pain level post op between this surgery and my last when the hospital used morphine. It did not "slow" the pain, it stopped it.
    My next obstacle is to deal with the amount of codiene in relationship to my diet. I cannot take in more bulk than I expel. It will cause blockage that can become severe. Right now I am drinking pineapple juice in order to keep the road open. Till then I will be able to eat very little as I did not lose any bulk while in the hospital. Focus is key here.
    I will add a footnote here. While in the hospital, I was given 3 or 4 injections of Dilaudid which is a hydromorphone.
    To my knowledge that is a weaker opioid than morphine, yet stronger than codiene....
    Enter pain management...This is where one must learn to tolerate a certain elevated level of pain in order to keep from consuming too many opioids....In other words, one must balance and proceed with caution and keep track of what goes into and out of the body while monitoring one's overall condition.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  9. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    While in preop, I was given an option to take a spinal injection which deadens the nerves below the waist.I accepted that option for the first time. It was effective and could only gradually feel the numbness in my feet subside over a period of around 30 hours. The right knee which is the current operation, gained feeling slower than did the previous, or left leg....I am logging this because it is almost as if it is recommended as to help keep in focus what has been recently introduced into my system and to allow one effect to subside before going too deep into pumping up another...again I will use the word FOCUS.

Best1989 and MI redneck like this.
  10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    At least playing one of your many Strats can be done sitting down as well or better than standing. I always play sitting, and only ever played standing when I was in a band.

Taurus and MrYeats like this.
  11. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Great news and glad to know you're well! You know the drill from here on and you'll get after it. Like most, I put off knee replacement too long and remember feeling that the height of post op pain was better than what I'd been putting up with. You'll soon be over the hump and well on the mend.

MI redneck, DougMen and MrYeats like this.
  12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Only when you feel like answering... how are you doing?

MrYeats and MI redneck like this.
  13. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

You got it right MrYeats! Stay focused! "Better living thru chemistry" as the saying goes, but it has its limits and side effects. "Management" is the key - not to expect to be "pain free", but manageable. Opioid constipation is no joke as you know if you have been there, so stay very focused on diet, moving to the extent that you can, and keeping the liquids flowing. Best wishes to you for the speediest of recoveries! I know you got this!

MrYeats and MI redneck like this.
  14. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Some of the things one forgets, like, just how much pain is involved, Limited mobililty, and peeing in a jar.....Oh the joys...I am fine and will be thru this in no time.