“Ultimate” guitar app, my foot....

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by so1om, Jan 18, 2020.

1. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Years ago my daughters download Ultimate Guitar tabs and ended up putting nearly 100 tabs up for all her fave songs.

I was just noodling around today and was figuring out a few ways to play a song or two. Let’s see how others play it, always interesting.

So I find it, my phone suggests I open in app. Sure, why not. So I download Ultimate Guitar.

Hmm I have to “personalize” my experience. My ONLY choice of instrument. My genres. Skill level. Then a couple songs that are kinda what I’d like to or might play... geez!!!! Believe me. After 40 years, these basic questions are not going to even get close. Then I FINALLY get to look up a song. Tons of ads for going premium. Then it loads the song. I scroll. And it goes back to the suggestion page. I click on recently viewed. It loads. Back to the suggestion page. More ads.... aaaand close the app.

Let’s restart the app. Ok. instrument of choice... genre.. wait. All this again?

Delete.

I get they want to “personalize” it. Sometimes it makes sense. But not this. God forbid I were playing at a bar grill taking requests or learning a set or two for a wedding.

And who knows. I may have bought the full version if it weren’t for it.....well.... not working.

SquierTap likes this.
  2. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    I should add my daughter said all that crap was new...

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

That kind of crap has been my experience with at least half the apps I try, in general.

4. Guitfiddlist

Guitfiddlist Squier-Meister

Aug 16, 2019
    ‘Merka
    That’s weird. I’ve had that app on my phone (and laptop) for about 8-9 months and had no issues. Although I don’t recall the setup and sign in process.

Mfranzdorf and so1om like this.
  5. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    I saw it, but my spidey sense went off and i admit I ran! Far!

Ricky3Fingerd likes this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I used it PC only for years, and then when I DID go app, a offer to go ad-less came up for $5 (on all platforms, so I never see adds no matter what device I use). It’s OK, but you really need a big phone, or a tablet for it to be useful.

Here’s my phone home screen, and a tab:
    9E7716AA-CDF4-4EC7-941D-AA282D22AFC7.jpeg F12A764E-4FB7-4C91-834D-053FAE2CE779.jpeg

It’s ok as a quick reference, but useless as a performance tool on my iPhone SE.
    On the PC, I use the edit feature, as many chord/lyric tabs (like the one above), don’t have the chords on the refrains/chorus, so I modify them as save as a “personal tab”. I also sometimes go into edit, to copy/paste the tab into a notepad document, so I can tweak it to display, or print better (fewer, or a single page).

it’s OK on my Android tablet, but it’s a cheapo, it’s downright slick on a newer Samsung, or Apple tablet (and my ad-free experience migrates to all devices).

I don’t go to Ultimate for everything, on the PC, I like Chordie, they have nice view/print options right in the tab pages.

7. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    I like setlist helper.com Free to try about $5 to buy and it keeps all my songs synced between my phone, pc and 3 tablets. Be great for the band too so we could all sync if they weren't so cheap they wont spend the $5

8. Stillhouse

Stillhouse Squier-Meister

Dec 15, 2013
    Deep In The South Of Texas
    I paid for their Tabs and Tools app years ago, had it on my phone(good for mobile tuner) and tablet. Got a new phone recently, went to install everything I use but the app I paid is no longer available. No great loss though, as there are other tuner apps(using BOSS app) and got Songsterr for free from Amazon years ago when they still did the free app of the day.

9. Mfranzdorf

Mfranzdorf Squier-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    NW Ohio
    Odd. My UG app works perfectly on my phone and iPad both. No ads, pop ups or anything.

10. bmoss02

bmoss02 Squier Talker

Dec 18, 2019
    Arizona
    it works great on my laptop. I find it fun and it helps A LOT when taking requests. you should try putting together your account on a PC then downloading the app and signing in to it.

11. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    People are mentioning ads and popups. I didn't even get that far. I did the unnecessary and of course inaccurate necessity of telling them what instrument I was playing and genre. Then a song I wanted to view would load but then return to the previous screen. So I closed the app. Opened the app, re-entered the nonsense and a song wouldn't load. In fact, I never did get it to work -at all!

12. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    What instrument and genre did you enter to "improve your experience"?

radiotech likes this.
  13. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I got it before they were asking that stuff... when I search for tabs, I get all the results: Guitar, Bass, Uke...

so1om likes this.
  14. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Sounds like dealing with Apple stuff. Whenever I have to mess with their stuff I quickly get a headache...

15. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Exactly why I avoid anything Android and google.

radiotech likes this.
  16. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    Haven't had this experience. I use it on iPad, Windows, Android phone, and Kindle tablet. Each with its quirks but I've never gotten into the loop you're experiencing. I paid about $10 for the pro version on a black Friday deal, and it applies across all my platforms. I like the pro tab for certain songs with complex parts. You can slow down the song and loop certain sections until you perfect them, or go insane.

SquierTap likes this.
  17. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Yeah, the app is filled with ads and notifications to go premium. I prefer to go to the site on my PC and use it there.

18. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Same