Your Practice Strategies...

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Merv_j, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    I've only been playing for three years. For the first year I had regular weekly lessons of an hour or so. I would have been lost without them. But life steps in and sadly these are now increasingly difficult.
    The upshot is I need to make the most of my practice time and I'm open to suggestions.

How often do you guys try to learn a new piece? I guess "learning" is a blurred line after many years of playing.

I try to learn a few new riffs or hooks regularly, these then become part of my practice routine, for both memory retention and technique improvment.

How do you chaps in here spend your practice time?

Hotrod89, dbrian66 and ElRey67 like this.
  2. Axe Cop

Axe Cop Squier-Meister

Dec 13, 2017
    USA
    I have no formal training. I learned by ear and tabs.

Every time I play I still learn new things. I tend to learn a new lick every time I play.

Generally I jam to backing tracks or make my own and just play that way. I never sit down and play scales with a metronome although I probably should.

Skip D, Hotrod89, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    My first teacher said: Play it until it’s perfect, then continue to play it until your fingers bleed... then you’ll never forget it.

4. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    I tried the metronome once early on. I struggled to listen to AND be able to play fluidly. I felt very wooden and played worse. Maybe I should try it again now

Hotrod89 and dbrian66 like this.
  5. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    All i know is my practice habits suck. There is no routine or discipline. Which is why I am reading this. Hoping to get suggestions too.

Skip D, duzie, Hotrod89 and 3 others like this.
  6. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    That's my problem too. I don't sit down and say to myself "right tonight it's.....", this might not necessarily be a bad approach though???? Mrs_J moans at me for only playing bits of songs, not full songs, but my teacher says that it's fine just learning little bits to improve my technique at this point

7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    The metronome bores me to death... I was using a Digitech floor unit for years mostly for the drum patterns, I now have a BeatBuddy and Trio... it’s nice to have a drummer.

8. Axe Cop

Axe Cop Squier-Meister

Dec 13, 2017
    USA
    A good way to entertain yourself and learn is get on youtube and search for "guitar backing track" There are a ton of songs that contain drums, bass and vocals but have the guitar tracks removed. It's a fun way to jam and learn.

9. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    I have seen the trio on speculation offer here for about £50. I'm very tempted. Are they user friendly? Would I need separate audio gear?

10. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    manhattan
    Bottom line -- you have to WANT to play. That means, playing along to music, learning theory, practicing technique, jamming, writing, WHATEVER it takes to get better. Do that and you will.

11. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    I love my guitar. I play every day, not necessarily for a long time. But every day. And I love learning. So this journey ticks all of my boxes. I just need to find my path now.

12. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Same here. I don't want to continue to be that guy who fiddles with little riffs here and there. Like the guy who plays Smoke on the Water wrong, but hey, it sounds close enough to keep playing it for 7 years :)

Hotrod89, dbrian66 and Merv_j like this.
  13. Axe Cop

Axe Cop Squier-Meister

Dec 13, 2017
    USA
    Challenge yourself. Find a song you have loved for years and give it a shot.

14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    There are many free drum beats online, even YouTube videos… Find out if it works for you before you invest any money.

15. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    Backtracks, playing little licks, going through tabs, and screwing around

16. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I dedicate at least an hour a day to practice. I practice the same scales and chord progressions over and over and at times add new stuff to my practice routine. I practice on the entire neck. Progress is slow but it's progress.

17. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Slow progress is fine with me. I just want to improve. I'm not in a race or a competition to be some kind of shred-god in the next six weeks. I'm only doing this for ME and nobody else. And, to be honest, when I started I didn't for a minute think I would be able to play at all. I wish I had started years ago.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    jjudas, Hotrod89, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  18. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I bob inbetween learning new songs I like, blues jamming, and reinforcing old songs I’ve dragged along the last (nearly 15) years since I started playing again. I’ve never been a note for note guy (except for some Beatles songs), my goal is getting the essence of a song in the event I have to pull it out.
    Nelson (@plangentmusic ) does some fantastic covers, I don’t know if I’ll ever be that precise.

jjudas, Hotrod89, dbrian66 and 3 others like this.
  19. porkpie

porkpie Squier-Nut

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    I've gotten a lot from this guy and his practicing theory:

Merv_j, Hotrod89 and dbrian66 like this.
  20. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Squier-holic

Apr 4, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I play until I get annoyed with myself, then put the guitar down...

Although I do add new stuff from time to time, as I age I spend more time maintaining what I already have.