Your most modified guitar.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Las Palmas Norte, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Censport

Censport Squier Talker

Sep 14, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    My 1987 Schecter Malmsteen (bought it new) has gone from this

Schecter Malmsteen.jpg

to this

My Pictures0026.jpg

Everything but the body, neck, and output jack has been changed.

2. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Awesome job. I see the the frets are scalloped. What color blue is that?

mb doug likes this.
  3. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    My Squier Bullet Mustang: Kent Armstrong humbuckers, Graphtec saddles, new chrome tipped 3 way toggle switch, hand crafted aluminum pick guard. I cleaned up and polished the frets and did a proper set up, but those aren't mods. Love it!! 20200506_075622~2.jpg

4. tosapicker

tosapicker New Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Screenshot_20200506-172656_Chrome-01.jpeg Screenshot_20200506-172638_Chrome-01.jpeg

Started as a stock black Squier 51
    Both pickups removed and replaced with a bridge Seymour Duncan P-Rail
    P-Rail was wired with a 3 way switch for single coil, humbucker and P 90
    One knob for 3 way P-Rail
    One knob with a volume, tone stacked pot
    Pickguard replaced with faux snakeskin pickguard for bridge pickup only
    Headstock decal changed to Squier 51 Rattler

MI redneck, rbh32, VM51SQ and 2 others like this.
  5. Censport

Censport Squier Talker

Sep 14, 2010
    Nashville/東京
    Thanks! The color is from a 1960 Dodge truck.

mb doug likes this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My most modified guitar has a new neck, new frets, new nut, new tuners, new strings, new body, new pickguard, new pickups, new harness, new bridge, new screws, new springs, new claw, new jack, and new strap buttons. :)

MI redneck and mb doug like this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    So, the only original part is the back cover?

mb doug likes this.
  8. That's insane brother. I must commend you on a job well done. ;) Cheers, Barrie.

mb doug likes this.
  9. Maybe it's not a Stratocaster?
    Cheers, Barrie.

DougMen likes this.
  10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I assumed it was, because he said new neck and pickguard, and he also said new springs and claw, so that assures that it is. And I know that NCs are his favorite modding platform

mb doug and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  11. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

1999 Affinity strat... In roughly chronological order...

DSC00267.JPG complete.JPG 20160519_230639.jpg 20170721_195447.jpg
    20200507_155107.jpg

Over it's life the guitar has played host to no less than 20 pickups and 4 pickguards.

Current mods (complete list) - comp stripe, smiley sticker (to hide a screw hole), Orange Drop caps, CTS audio pots, push/pull pot to allow neck pickup to be active in any position, copper shielded pickguard, Tonerider Classic Blues pickups, treble bleed mod, volume/neck tone/middle and bridge tone, replacement pickguard screws, 2 springs added to vibrato. Unsure if the switch is stock or not.

The guitar has its OG knobs and pickguard on. The pickguard has aged well, but is warped, although this doesn't show up in pics.

I will soon be getting the wiring replaced, and the treble bleed mod and push/pull pot removed.

mb doug likes this.
  12. kjmac

kjmac Squier-holic

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    This guitar consists of an old Kramer Strat Body, A Kimise neck, Wilkinson Tuners, other assorted hardware and a GFS Retrotron Nashville pickup. I refinished the body in a satin finish Aqua and put all the bits and pieces together.

Partscaster 2.jpg

VM51SQ and mb doug like this.
  13. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    sounds like the pefect set up for a '51. I should have kept mine and done something similar.

14. DuddyGuy

DuddyGuy Squier Talker

Sep 29, 2017
    Escondido
    This is I think a 2001 Crafted in China CY Affinity. I bought it for $20 off Craigslist to learn some setup and repair skills I didn't want to tackle on any of my nicer guitars as a rookie.

I wish I had a picture of it originally but it was just too awful. It had a terrible attempt at a zebra theme, with one black pickup cover and 2 white, same thing with the knobs and it had 3 of the original Fender stamped steel saddles with 3 black block saddles that were for a wider string spacing that didn't fit the bridge so there was this terrible bloom thing going on down there and guitar was unplayable (at least IMO, the former owner seemed to think it was fine...). There was 15 year old masking tape covering all the logos, pick-guard was cracked and overall it was just unbelievably filthy.

What I've done to it:
    • Fret level, crown, and polish
    • Deep clean every single part
    • MIM trem with full size block and Fender stamped steel saddles
    • Cut a bone nut with super nice low action to the radius of the board, just slightly gravitated higher towards the low strings
    • Graphtec string trees
    • Hipshot staggered locking tuners (I found the high string tree was still quieting a little noise so I left them both in as I prefer to run both if I'm going to run any, before you tell me I don't need them with the staggered tuners ha! No binding problems on or off)
    • Cloth covered wiring, CTS 250k pots, Oak-Grigsby 5-way and cavity shielded
    • New Pickguard and cream pickup covers and knobs/tips
    • Full setup with floated bridge pretty much to my ideal of perfection
    All together I think I'll be at about $115-$120 all in (although if I was billing myself for the hours of labor put into it that number would expand exponentially). I still need to expand the routing in a trem cover to allow the cover to be used with the full size block as I'm one of those people who just can't stand not having the cover on. I also have some GM alnicos I'm going to put in it that are already factored in the cost above. I think after that it should be 100% done.

It really is quite the player now, and I don't think it looks half bad either.

[​IMG]

Robbmonster likes this.
  15. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Easily the black Squier SE that I bought at a pawn shop ten or twelve years ago. All that remains original are the neck and body. Last change was to replace the white pearloid pickguard with a black pearloid.

16. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
  17. pawnshopstrat

pawnshopstrat Squier Talker

Jul 27, 2018
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    IMG_20170516_122224.jpg
    2009 Affinity Tele. I bought it for two reasons: I wanted a single coil guitar, and I wanted something that I could use as a test bench for learning to do mods. Took six years before I started modding it. The plastic output jack cover broke and that was the impetus to get going. Since then, all that's left of the original guitar is the neck, the body, bridge plate, control plate, and strap buttons. Have replaced tuners, string tree, nut (Tusq), pickguard, pickups (several times), stainless steel bridge saddles, all the electronics (Oak-Grigsby switch, various pots), output jack. Shielded it as well. I'm considering changing the neck to something with a full width nut. For the time being, I have several Strat projects on the go.

18. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I guess my new most modified guitar would be a toss-up between my Am Pro Strat with Dimarzio Area 58 pickups, DSCN0687.JPG DSCN1071-2.JPG and my Oscar Schmidt OS-300 with CS Texas Specials.

19. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Don’t do much modding so I guess this is it. White Rhino SE with vintage tuners, MIM electronics, bridge and saddles and mint green guard. D530EB4D-ACBA-46C3-AC61-8FF62C1D31B0.jpeg

20. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Oscar Schmidt? As in the great Brasillian basketball player?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice