Your most modified guitar.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Las Palmas Norte, Apr 29, 2020.

1. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    My most modded is my #1 that started out as a Stagg S300 model and over time I have replaced every single part except the 2 wood pieces. The neck and body are the only original original pieces. All gold hardware. I reshaped and refinished the neck too. This is my best playing and sounding guitar ever. I will never let it go.

custom waterslide
    Tacoma tuners(Gotoh)
    american string trees
    Nubone nut
    Bootstrap Golden ale pickups
    920D wiring kit with the Gilmour switch
    Wilkinson bridge with brass block

IMG_20200229_071112.jpg IMG_20200229_071122.jpg IMG_20200229_071228.jpg IMG_20200229_071237.jpg IMG_20200229_071103.jpg

2. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    It is gorgeous!

3. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    Thank you!

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  4. Exactly what I was thinking.
    Cheers, Barrie.

mb doug, dbrian66 and mdparent03 like this.
  5. I don't think these $1,000 bills do either.

DSC08673.JPG

"Canadan"? Don't over think things. It clutters the mind. Cheers, Barrie.:)

mb doug and Fergyuk like this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Heh... Senior moment there?

mb doug likes this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I guess so. And over and over for I read it myself more than once! :D

-don

mb doug and radiotech like this.
  8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Happens to me all the time...

mb doug likes this.
  9. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    _DSC0088.jpg

All of mine have some mods. MIM cs70s has 'block' saddles for the right vintage vibe (annoying it didn't come with them), the CIJ ST72 has 'Blackmore' electronics (Two Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, a dummy middle pup and 3 way switch) in a mint guard and chrome trem tip and the VM70 has 'F' tuners and neck plate, bone nut, a MIM trem unit and all black plastics. However my most modded is the Affinity on the left.

Before anyone starts the fake decal wasn't my work but when I saw it my memories of Ritchie's '68 maple cap were to much to resist.

To match up to the '68 decal (which is really accurate with the right pat nos.) and in fact really well done) I've removed a string tree (to no ill effect), swapped the nut for genuine bone (with fractionally wider string spacing) and swapped in Fender 'F' tuners. I took the serial number off the back of the headstock and moved it onto a new Fender 'F' neck plate. Plastics are all Fender as it has a loaded guard from an '06 Highway One (I believe the same pups found in the last of the MIM cs70s?) with a truss access 'notch' filed by me with covers and knobs just lightly tea stained by me and an Ernie Ball 5 way. To complete the hardware upgrades it has a MIM PW29 bridge/block and screws etc. but milled down so it fits the thinner body still with the standard cover.

To add as much class as possible it has Fender vintage strap locks with the Fender foam bits underneath and lastly there's an aftermarket trem arm for the full Ritchie look.

Next on my list is to try to gloss the headstock to match how the originally satin neck finish is now glossy front and back as it's been polished by play.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    rbh32, mb doug, radiotech and 2 others like this.
  10. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Who knew our Canadian friend Barrie was a multi-millionaire with a huge stash of cash? All US funds too. I don't see him flashing any Canadian $500 or $1,000 bills, lol

11. Millionaire … LOL! All old bills. Canadian $ discontinued 40 years ago. $500's where never made here. No more $1,000's either.

DSC08676.JPG

Cheers, Barrie.

Viking, mb doug, Fendrix69 and 2 others like this.
  12. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Since I changed the electronics/pickups to MIM Strat ones, then modded the single coils to neodymium magnets, I’d say this is my most modded now..
    3FA5D93A-05AF-4F2A-AAB1-E9CA03743AEB.jpeg
    ...and when I get the time, it may get the MIM aged pearloid pickguard (holes didn’t line up at all).

mb doug, Fendrix69, Fergyuk and 2 others like this.
  13. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    DSCN0621.JPG DSCN0658.JPG
    My most modded is my Fernandes, 'cause the guy who had it before me put 500k pots in it, which makes the ceramic pickups sound "Strattier" to me, or my Am Pro, in which I swapped the stock pickups for GM 62z. In this pic the Fernandes has 62z in it also, but I've since put the stock ceramics back in it.

rbh32, mb doug, Fendrix69 and 2 others like this.
  14. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    EA22DD20-9513-4F15-9591-2C5B5FB44176.jpeg
    Maybe it’s my Sawtooth. I put different pickups in it, full size pots and a 4-way, drilled the body for string-through, and got a GFS buyout sale neck. Not that it really needed any of that stuff done to it...

rbh32 and mb doug like this.
  15. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
  16. Lost In Autumn

Lost In Autumn Squier Talker

Oct 6, 2019
    Philadelphia
    it's a tossup for my most modded guitar, as I don't have many that are unmodded.
    first up is my vintage modified stratocaster that I got for $250 a year and a half ago. B9AE2EBB-ACA4-47EF-9116-AEE0C59A0691_1_201_a.jpeg It was bone stock, but has since received an EMG David Gilmour loaded pick guard that has since been modified with a brown tortoise pick guard, an EMG S pickup in the neck (I find the SA pickups in the Gilmour setup to be too muddy; In retrospect, I wish I'd gotten the Vince Gill Pickguard) Graphtech saddles and nut, Roller String Trees, Wilkinson Locking Tuners, Dunlop straplocks and I had the neck massaged by Chris DiPinto, at DiPinto Guitars, in Philadelphia, as it had awful fret sprout. My goal was to replicate, as closely as possible, the 86 MIJ Stratocaster that I had in the 90's & had modded similarly, albeit with a Wilkinson Roller Nut, but had sold to pay my college tuition. While the MIJ strat had a nitro finish and better wood, this guitar, in every practical way, is superior in terms of playability. I'm also stuck with it, as I have way more invested in it than it will ever be worth.

2nd up is this 2001 Standard Series Crafted in China Stratocaster that I bought for $100, with the intention of using the 22 fret neck on the stratocaster above. I never did, but I found the body to be quite attractive, so I started modding. 1st was a pick guard from Greasy Grove, in Nova Scotia, followed by RedActive pickups from Guitar Fetish. I then added an AllParts baritone conversion neck, with a GraphTech nut, Wilkinson Locking Tuners and Dunlop Strap Locks.
    70F9FF78-F561-4D76-83EE-DCC37C4AFFC8_1_201_a.jpeg
    Finally, this one started out as a J Mascis Jazzmaster. I liked the guitar ok, but I hated the pickups, so they were replaced with a set from Bootstrap Pickups and redid all of the wiring. Next, I swapped the pick guard with a tortoise shell one, so it would resemble my stratocaster and my girlfriend might not notice that I'd brought home a new guitar (it worked). I also had a classic vibe Jazzmaster and frankly, I liked the neck better on that one, so I got a notion to mod it into a Jazzmaster XII. I had impulsively bought a 12 string neck on eBay that had a 2-1/4" heel, not realizing that fenders use a 2-3/16" neck pocket. I shaved the heel down, using a strat neck template and a router, added left and right hand sets of Wilkinson locking tuners, a Duesenberg 12 string tune-o-matic bridge with individually adjustable saddles for each string and a stainless steel tail plate. I had Chris at Dipinto Guitars set it up, filing the bone nut and saddles and it plays like a dream!
    5DBBAF5F-0CF0-4429-9EE0-FF8D00EC5657.jpeg
    Next up, later this week, I'll finish transforming this 2001 Silver Sparkle Jagmaster into a Jagmaster BottomMaster Baritone, with a Wilkinson Vibrato & Tuners, a graph tech nut and a 28" scale neck with a CBS era headstock from BYO Guitars:
    C9667AF2-4946-451F-832D-7003AF2EE94D_1_201_a.jpeg

17. Jazzfretless

Jazzfretless Squier Talker

Sep 14, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    From this... bass3.jpeg.jpg To this
    IMG_0832.jpg

daan, Angry Possum and mb doug like this.
  18. beagle

beagle Squier-Meister

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I feel like I'm letting the team down.

My black Strat has a Tokai switch tip and a TUSQ nut.
    I replaced the "vintage locking tuners" on my Classic Player Strat with a Gotoh SD91 vintage set.
    I fitted an Electrosocket jack cup on my Classic Vibe Tele.

Sorry guys... :(

Angry Possum and mb doug like this.
  19. dg27

dg27 Squier Talker

Aug 11, 2013
    Long Island City, NY
    The most dramatically modified one I have is my '87 MIJ Squier Jazz.

Started off pretty vanilla, with a stock white guard.

sjfront_01a.jpg

I had the guard replaced with a tort cellulose, the pickups changed to SD Quarterpound for J with series-parallel switching, and swapped in a Gotoh 201B bridge. Played it that way for many years, then finally replaced the neck with a fretless NOS '99 Fender Precision.

1999 Fender Precision-1987 Squier Jazz hybrid_IMG_6806.jpg

Now it's perfect.

Angry Possum and mb doug like this.
  20. Fendrix69

Fendrix69 Squier Talker

May 1, 2020
    Manchester
    This guitar started as an American special Strat with maple neck, I started modding every part and eventually I even replace the wood lol

It ended up becoming what you see in the pictures

warmth body with flame maple unfinished neck

Lollar dirty blackface pickups ( lollar special bridge )

American strat tremolo base plate with highwood saddles, Callaham steel block and raw vintage tremolo springs. RS guitar works vintage harness with CRL switch.

Schaller locking tuners and Callaham Stainless steel neck plate.

Needless to say it sounded killer, I really regret selling it

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Angry Possum, rbh32 and mb doug like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice