Your most modified guitar.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Las Palmas Norte, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Neophyte16

Neophyte16 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2018
    Philippines
    I have my one and only SE heavily modified. Everything is changed except for the neck, body and pickguard. Currently hanging outside. Waiting for the nitro finish to dry.

Attached Files:

2. You sure did a lot with that SE … and just how many yellow Strats does a guy ever see? I'd say next to none. Done right @dbrian66 ;)
    Cheers, Barrie.

3. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Squier Talker

Dec 3, 2019
    England
    This one is a Squier 20th anniversary body with a Squier LH neck with rosewood board and my own logo on the headstock.
    The pickguard has invader style pickups HSH with coil tap and phase switching.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I liked it so much I made a partscaster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
  5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Are $500 bills even still in circulation, and what's a Canadan doing with them? Notice how I spelled that, 'cause I've alway wondered why you're called Canadians, not Canadans, since you're fron Canada, not Canadia. It's just the opposite here- people here are called Ha-why-uns, not Ha-why-ee-uns, lol

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Viking, daan, dbrian66 and 1 other person like this.
  6. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    What's the toggle switch for?

dbrian66 and mb doug like this.
  7. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    This poor old Hondo started life with an S S configuration. Using drill bits and chisels I put a Dimarzio super distortion into it and for a while that was all it had. Then I added an SC at the neck, then went with two Wide Range HB's. I can't remember all of the pickup configurations but I know it's been Blonde, black, red, and natural. Now it's back to SS with a 4-way switch, Rose pickups, and painted pink. Only original things are the neck (slightly reshaped headstock) and body.

Attached Files:

daan, radiotech, Fergyuk and 5 others like this.
  8. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    This 1986 MIJ Squier Contemporary Strat came to me already modded. The original owner had replaced the pickup with a Gibson humbucker, the trem with a Schaller Floyd Rose and the tuners with Schallers. I really liked it but the pickup is two wire so couldn't be split and it is a very middy tone, after owning the strat about twenty years I had The Creamery in Manchester build me one of his relatively high wind Dirty Shirt humbuckers with a four wire set up and had a mini toggle fitted to enable split/series/parallel which certainly opened the tonal options up a bit. The vintage Gibson humbucker I had fitted in the bridge of my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro and a PAF style pickup built for the neck but they didn't match, the Gibson is too hot which meant the neck was brighter than the bridge so I had a matching pup built for the bridge and the Gibson has been sitting in a box since as I wonder what to do with it.

My other Japanese strat, the Silver Series, I previously posted, I had three Seymour Duncan single coil sized humbuckers fitted with mini toggles but then had it put back to stock and those pups are also sitting unused. The Epiphone Les Paul '56 Pro I had medium wind P90's built for me by Sanford Magnetics in Canada, had the guitar rewired to a Gibson 50's spec, had the switch and jack replaced with Switchcraft ones and the pots replaced with CTS ones and orange drop cap. 4th November 2017, James H Cadden 7w.jpg 22nd February 2016, James H Cadden 2w.jpg 29th May 2016, James H Cadden 2w.jpg

9. rodgerk1977

rodgerk1977 Squier Talker

Mar 15, 2019
    uk
    My only 2 guitars both have mods. Lake placid blue is a Mexican but I changed the neck. I bought the neck from eBay for £65 and loved it. The frets are narrow and low I much prefer it over the original so much so that I bought another and put it on my cy98 squier sunburst. I put a fender bridge full size block on it, did blender pot wiring and added in some unbranded alnico pickups.

Attached Files:

10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I built a few from parts over the years, but my most modded stock Guitar was my original ‘05 ‘51.
    DE0C15A6-54F8-458F-8987-5D33A5F30383.jpeg

Fender locking tuners, tusq nut, Squier Standard Tele block saddles, GFS Pickguard, Dimarzio Dual Sound w/mini toggle for series/parallel, better three way rotator, and concentric Volume/Tone control.

I shielded the body, and guard, and cut a path from the neck to the bridge cavity (with a rotozip, the basswood was very soft). The fret ends were long and deadly on both sides when I got it, like they were cut with a dull tool. It was a couple day job to file, and then roll them. The neck on this guitar set my preference for chunky necks that I still have to this day. A Gibson-only bud played it (after asking: what the heck was it?), and HAD to have it. It was his first Fender guitar ever (and I think still his only).

I’ve visited it a time or two.

My Squier Bullet Strat has been modded over the most times, I don’t even have pics of all the tweaks, but here’s stock, Blacktop FilterTron guard, and Current (GM pickups), roller trees, and Musiclily locking tuners. It was at least 3 or 4 other guards/pickup combos before landing as this.
    60B113C0-1BF4-4069-B39F-DCFFABF6DF1A.jpeg

RoyalWe, strummer101, Fergyuk and 5 others like this.
  11. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My "Most Modified" will look tame in comparison to some posted by serious modders here on the forum, but in fact it has been significantly altered, and that because the mods have been made almost entirely for music making purposes, not 'snazz' or even personalization. Its a 2004 Squier Affinity Tele.

Strat Project Complete.jpg

I'm not a Stratholic. Indeed I have found the Strat totally a non-user, either for playing technique or, again just for myself, tone.

I've tried many, many over the years -- these including a fifties style MIM to one of the very earliest MIA "V" serial number models built just as the company refirmed. None did it for me. None.

I bought this Affinity with different expectations, and that just so I'd have a Strat in my working collection. And to my surprise it was right out of the box a pretty nice instrument. -Enough, I thought, to satisfy any need I might one day have. But then one day, here on the forum, I saw for sale at a very reasonable price a fully loaded 'board' taken from one of the oft raved about CV models and I snapped it up. That upped the guitar to way higher level, leaving its one deficiency its lightweight, and so-so built, trem unit. Learning that genuine Fender models -- ones with the classic type bridges -- were drop-ins and that via an Amazon seller I could get one for a verse (i.e., less than a proverbial song) I switched that, too. Now she was a true rocker -- lighter than any Strat I'd owned (a real plus to me) and being as a satisfied as I could ever be with any Strat (Yes, even more than I had been with my rather pricey MIA "V" model), I made one more change -- and this for looks alone. That was to Kiwi the maple neck (as seen in the pic).

End result is a highly modded, but appearance-wise pretty run-of-the-mill, classic Strat.

Am I now a Strat lover? Nope. As lovely as she now is to play I rarely am even tempted to play her. But that's because of my 'faults' -- not her own.

-don

BTW, for anyone wonder how I dealt with the mismatch o the thinner body and the full-sized Fender trem unit, the answer is here. I 'deepened' the back cover.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 8.12.55 AM.png

12. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    Ohio
    That's pretty slick, Don!

duceditor and mb doug like this.
  13. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    It turns on the neck pickup regardless of where the 5 way switch is. Gives me two additional pickup combos, all three at once and neck/bridge. All three at once is kind of cool, but I don’t really use it, but neck/bridge is very nice. Kind of telecasterish?

14. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    My Epiphone Flying V. Made in Korea 2007.

I only modified the pickups, the other mods were done prior, by the seller on Reverb.

This guitar now, is just as good if not better than a real Gibson. I'm serious.

1. Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Pickups Bridge and Neck Pups SH2 and an SH4, all electronics were switched out. CTS Pots, Switchcraft 3 Way Toggle Switch, Switchcraft Output Jack, Orange Drop Cap, Cloth Wire.

2. TonePros Locking AVR II Bridge. It doesn't fall off and queer your setup when you change strings and it doesn't rattle around.

3. Kluson Single Ring Tuners.

4. Gibson Headstock Badge.

5. Gibson Truss Rod Cover

This Guitar is one of my top 2 playing guitars.

20190926_112933.jpg

20190926_112941.jpg

15. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Definitely done right i agree, I love yellow strats.

16. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    Thanks for the reply, my first thought was maybe a kill switch. I have a blender pot fitted on a couple of my strats including the Silver Series and like that for dialling in the neck and bridge together but I like your idea of a straight on switch.

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  17. One String Sam

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    That's some serious modding you've done to the guitar on the right though.

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  18. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have another guitar with the blender mod, and I think I like that better. And having a master tone gives you control of the bridge pickup. But the switch is easier to use. It’s quick and you know exactly what you are going to get. Both ways have their advantages I guess.

19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Looking in from the outside, you could think it's because they're all crappy guitars to start with o_O
    Translation from the french word Canadien.
    Ahhhh ... That must be heaven !

20. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've been too afraid to mod my non-Strats, my CV Telecaster is perfect as it is, and so is my Jackson Rhoads V.

Meanwhile many old Squier Strats are just begging to have mods put in them!

This is The Crusher.

20200430_085308.jpg

IC04 Black and Chrome Standard
    Black Tusq nut and string trees
    Graphtech String Saver Saddles
    Planet Waves Self-Trimming locking tuners 18:1
    Duncan Detonator from 2002 Tom DeLonge Squier
    Neck and Middle Pickups from 2004 Squier Black and Chrome Standard
    Aluminum checker(diamond) plate pickguard, made and signed by a guy in the USA, Allparts
    Solid stainless Strat style knobs
    500k volume, 250 tones, coil split in position 2, Switchcraft Jack
    Ended up buying a 2013 MIM Sunburst body with considerable mojo from Ebay so I could have a decked 6 screw MIM bridge with high mass block.
    I bought a brass import block for the 2 point but it didn't fit so it's just in my closet of guitar things.

I don't think I would ever buy a solid metal pickguard again but it does give this guitar almost like a National resonator thing. It definitely seems to affect the sound while unplugged and add some resonant frequencies that normally wouldn't happen. I got it because I liked the idea of the mirror pickguard but wanted something that looked less cheap than the plastic one that the Black and Chrome is famous for.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice