Your idea of affordable, high quality, simple, digital, standalone, recording rig, circa 2019?

Discussion in 'Home Recording and Studios' started by optofonik, Feb 10, 2019.

1. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

I firmly believe that Squiers can sound as good in a recording as any other guitar out there. I also don't think it takes a lot of money to properly document that "sound". It does however take at least a little investment to really showcase your talent; burgeoning or beyond. With that in mind...

• SM57: new (I can't typically recommend buying used mics from anyone but a professional broker but the SM57 ain't that kinda mic; just get a new one).
    • Tascam DP-008EX: Buy used (it's not mechanical so barring some drunk DB spilling a beer onto it or a knucklehead using the wrong AC adapter you should be fine as long as you can return it).
    • Monoprice 15-Watt, 1x12 tube amp: (I don't see many used ones for sale so wait for a discount or open box from Monoprice; a couple of times a year there are some serious sales).
    • Used programmable drum machine (I recommend the SR16 because it was the last one I used that didn't completely suck but that was a long time ago and there are so many available since then that its crazy; dime a dozen it seems).

With these four components I can't see why anyone shouldn't be able to record awesome sounding demos without booting up a computer till uploading.

I know what most will ask...

With patience and judicious shopping it'll cost about $500.00.

65-mustang and Caddy like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    I don't go that old school. I sold my SR-16 and Tascam decades ago.

My current recording setup (not counting guitars and effects pedals) is a Hotone head (usually the Mojo Diamond), a Monoprice DI box, an old Behringer Eurorack mixer and a PC into a DAW. For backing, I use Magix Acid Pro to create loops and MIDI tracks. I do want to replace the DI box with a Mooer Radar or other IR loader to get more tonal flexibility.

Here's an original song I did using this setup for the Reddit Song A Week sub-reddit.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan
  4. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

I finally got a chance to watch this all the way through and was gobsmacked. It kind of explains why the Line 6 is becoming a recognized competitor to Fractal Audio. I think that's in a large part due to the inclusion of so-called "legacy" algorithms from throughout Line 6's long history that are still capable of producing patches that stand the test of time. The Helix is a legitimate alternative to the AX8 right now and I wouldn't be surprised if Line 6's next major product release is a direct competitor to the Axe-Fx III.

5. ksandbergfl

ksandbergfl Squier-Meister

Sep 7, 2015
    iPad Mini, Akai RPM3 USB audio interface/monitors, and Garageband

optofonik likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice