YOUR Guitar Of The Week, Vol 2

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Gloveberg, Jan 13, 2020 at 9:24 AM.

1. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Nut

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
  2. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    This one will fit in nicely with wonkenstien's entry. House fire survivor, purchased the neck itself first, then the original body a couple yrs later. IMG_20200112_201014815~4.jpg

3. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Nut

Feb 14, 2019
    That’s gonna be an awesome axe when you get it finished. Please do a build thread :)

4. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Hadn't posted on the first week due to finals, as I was pondering whether to write yet again about either my PRS or my Squier, both of which I've already shared and wrote my thoughts of tons of times here, why not sharing my classical guitar, that I play so much and has already traveled around the country with me, yet I've rarely spoken about it??

This is an António Pinto Carvalho 5CW, a guitar made here in Portugal in the city of Braga. It has a solid cedar top, laminated walnut back and sides, a mahogany neck and African blackwood fretboard. The nut and saddle were upgraded with luthier-made bone pieces, and it plays and sounds like a dream.

I've bought it second-hand from a very nice gentleman two years ago, shortly after joining the musical group/fraternity of my college, to replace the cheap Ashton classical I had been playing since high school, which I then offered as a gift to my sister. The folk pickguard was placed by the previous owner, though I've kept it because not only it's handy not to screw up the top when playing Flamenco style, but I also quite dig the looks it gives.

Though it was bought used, funny enough I was planning to order the exact same model new (these are REAL cheap around here, despite being equivalent in quality to an Alhambra, which I can completely attest, given I mostly play one of the group's 3C's in rehearsals), but it appeared for sale for such a great price and in as-new condition I couldn't miss the bargain. Besides being great sounding and visually pleasing, the cutout further improves playability for someone coming from the electric, and the integrated piezo is super fun to hook up to the amp and get some reverb going.

Some other unique features it has are the traditional Torres scale length, slightly longer than normal (notice how the last fret isn't split by the sound hole like in common classicals) further improving resonance, and the lack of strap buttons, as you either play sit down or with an uke style neck strap, just like Willie Nelson does ;)

48393766_1010380795800154_5257667310407122944_n.jpg
    IMG_20191113_151520_866.jpg IMG_20191213_125242_171.jpg IMG_20191104_231122_094.jpg

5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    A funny side story with this guitar. Like I said, I got it when I was 14. Myself and three other classmates started a band called the Phantom Lords, taken from the Metallica song of the same name. We were not good enough to play anyone else’s music, so we had to write our own stuff. Here is a recording we made with a tape recorder in the middle of the room at one of our practices. It was the bass players first time playing the song. You can hear him at the beginning asking what he’s supposed to play. Now here is the funny part. I present to you, a song performed by 4 teenage, Catholic school boys, Satans Rage!

6. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Here's my entry for week 2. Some of you may know I have a "buddy system" for my guitars. In the thread for last week I shared a newer Trans Black LP Florentine. The buddy to that guitar is this Trans Black LP 7 string.

20200113_190431.jpg

The only real story is that I had a duplicate LTD and Bronco bass that weren't getting used and this had been hanging used in the shop for months, largely ignored, because it was in a side room above the door at a local shop.

It was already underpriced but they had it so long they gave me an additional discount. It's my only 7 string, and that's fine with me.

20200113_190611.jpg 20200113_190551.jpg 20200113_190512.jpg

7. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    I ******* LOVE IT!!!!

8. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Everyone needs a superstrat in their life :D

9. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
  10. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    I know some people really sh*t on those guitars but Striker's and Aerostar's weren't as horrible as people make them out to be. Yes they were usually plywood and maybe didn't have top of the line hardware and stuff but they weren't total junk either. My brother still has a white Aerostar much like that from the 80's as well. I find it more amazing that your guitar has made it this long unscathed, that's damn impressive for sure.

What's crazy about Kramer is that in 1987 they outsold every guitar brand in the US (yes including Fender and Gibson) but by early 1990 they were out of business. That's a quick fall...lol

11. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    This is the good stuff right here.

12. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    It has spent a lot of years in a case. A couple years after I started playing, I got into cars. Turns out I was a lot better at fixing cars than I was playing guitar! LOL. Really didn’t get back into guitars full time until my late 30’s. But it sits out full time now. And it is a nice player. I’ve learned a lot about guitars the last few years. I should go through this one and do a good set up. Really see how good this guitar could be!

13. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Awesome resto project, brother!

That'll be one Suh-Weet Axe, given time, an lotsa love. :cool:

14. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    Man, that's one of a kind kewl!

15. Mr Bones

Mr Bones Squier-Nut

Oct 17, 2019
    Kansas Territory
    That was textbook Awesome, Brother!
    Ya captured th very essence of what music I deign to remember from that decade...
    Kinda more punk, almost, to me, which is jim dandy, in my book...saved us from disco, now didn't it? :D

16. Botso

Botso Squier Talker

Jan 5, 2019
    Florida
    So the guitar I’m choosing for my guitar of the week is my favorite guitar I own. I told myself I wanted a guitar I don’t have. I looked at the guitars I owned. A partscaster and a Tom Delonge epiphone es333. Both had one pick up and one volume knob. So I needed more versatility. So I knew I wanted three pick ups. I knew I wanted and offset body and in my search I came across the Squier jagmaster. I got a steal on a body that has chips and dings. I asked myself If I wanted what everyone has in their guitar for pickups. I thought about lace pick ups, gfs, I searched all over the internet and everyone said they knew the best pick ups. I went on sites everywhere and then it hit me. I said I don’t want any of those so I went with the pick ups that the most people had hate for. It was just what I was looking for. My Custom Strat Style EMG loaded Jagmaster. 07FEF4FD-B7BB-44A8-AACE-32E85285D766.jpeg 24E244BF-2C25-4A1C-8AD0-028AE4196435.jpeg
    Here are some links to some vids of you want to hear it. https://www.instagram.com/p/B1KlpnWFEXO/?igshid=q2pzyrno9xr1

https://www.instagram.com/p/B09YUnYFWt0/?igshid=jtzrr6nck88m

It also gets great tone from the neck pick up but I haven’t recorded anything yet. Coming soon. Hope you enjoy my guitar. I have enjoyed reading everyone’s story.

17. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That looks great. It’s cool you did EMG’s. I like stuff that is off the beaten path.

18. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    My guitar doesn't have a story other than it's a great player. Ibanez RG421 hard tail. Wizard III neck with 15.7 inch radius and Infinity Quantum HB pickups. It wasn't expensive and it inspires me to play more.

IMG_20190909_124426.jpg

wickedtools, jbrowning, -r3- and 8 others like this.
  19. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Here's three more pictures of my Jackson. I think I want to name it Gungnir because it's blue and somewhat spear-like.

20200114_070940.jpg 20200114_070924.jpg 20200114_070515.jpg

I took this close-up shot of the bridge pickup because I wanted to show how the Duncan Detonators relic themselves after discussing it in a thread about a Tom DeLonge signature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice