YOU WANT HOW MUCH TO REPLACE A NUT??????

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Tconroy, Mar 13, 2019.

1. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Nut $12
    Hiroshima Nut files $80
    YouTube video free.

Nut files can be used on multiple guitars, And you saved $28

AND if nothing is wrong with your current nut you can save another $12.

The nut only matters for open strings so who gives a flying rats ass what it's made of.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2018
    North Central NC
    Well, there is the slipperiness aspect. A TUSQ nut, being slipperier than bone for example, doesn't need to be lubricated, and tends to let the strings go back in tune better after using the whammy bar.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I am in the material counts club. I play a lot of open strings when cording and not in the cowboy arena. A lot of leads too. There is a hell of a lot of tone change in materials, if you are able hear it I suppose. True for saddles too.

Brass is my favorite and was pre installed on my 77 Fender but bone is right up there and is certainly easier to work with. Some of the budget plastics are literally tone robbers. Though I have had some plastics on budget guitars that I thought were just fine and left them alone. Tusq are ok I guess, done a few and have nothing bad to say about them except cost.

4. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    Was it your left nut or your right one you wanted to replace?

5. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    you will have to ask my wife. :)

6. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    Yeah and don't expect it to be shaped nice on the sides either. I had them do one on a new guitar and it wasn't shaped on the sides at all. It was perfect other than that.

7. Kaffeine_oo7

Kaffeine_oo7 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    I had to learn to take care of my own nuts, to include polishing them. I am married after all. :cool:

8. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I have plenty of time to think about it. My left hand is bandaged and my middle finger has a brace under it to hold it straight. I bent it side ways and overstretched ligaments.:(:(. Wont be playing for at least a week:( IF not more.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Can the brace be used as a slide?

10. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    LOL... No kidding... It's a good skill to know. No one wants to deal with poorly maintained nuts. Poorly maintained nuts get no play time.
    BTW: That's one of the main causes of tuning issues IMO..

11. Kaffeine_oo7

Kaffeine_oo7 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Ohio
    Yeah, no one wants to play on sticky nuts... Big Bends Nut Sauce is a great nut lube to help combat the occasional sticky nut problem. Generally, once they're clean though, polished and free of debris, people will love playing on clean and well maintained nuts. (The jokes just write themselves :D)

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    not with this sticky gause on it!

13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Bummer. Heal soon, then.

14. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    I am not going to push it. I dont know how long I can go without playing but I have gone a whole week and still played very well and was refreshed. Probably need a break anyway.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  15. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-Nut

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    $120 is a lot, BUT the nut is one of a few parts that is directly related to fretting notes, (low fret) tuning, and tuning stability (especially with a tremolo/or a 3x3 Gibson-style headstocks that pull especially D and G strings laterally).

$120 is too much to pay, but if you don't have the tools, if you're spending a lot on a neck, you'd do yourself a service to have a nut custom cut to the neck if you can't do it yourself.

Also, I've cut a lot of nuts. Unless you keep a large number of guitars (lets say at least a dozen) with some change ongoing, I wouldn't waste the time developing the skill to cut a great nut--I just don't think it's worth your time and money. If you do want to start to learn, buy some cheap nuts to practice on first, and don't settle for ok--the point of doing it yourself custom is that it's exactly what you want.

I do encourage people to learn maintenance, but there's a difference between something you might do with some frequency, like intonation and relief, and some you might only do every 10 years like cut a nut. Sometimes it's worth it to pay the $30-50 and use the time to practice playing.

Just my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice