Yay? Nay? Gibson LP Studio

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    dbrian66 likes this.
  2. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    I love my Gibson L.P. Studio and that's a lot less than I paid for my new one lol

Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    Lower end Gibsons are my toughest decisions. For me it always feels like a compromise. Like, yeah of course I want a standard, but this is good too, right? Hard for me to spend so much on an homage to the thing I really wanted. But we’re all different.

4. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    Padre Island
    You cant go wrong.

5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Isn't the Studio a lighter LP ? Thinner or chambered ?

6. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I don’t think all of them are chambered. Mine is, but it’s still a full bodied guitar. Somewhere around the early to mid 90’s, they came out with a Studio Lite. That may have had a thinner body.

Edit: I just read up and it appears that all of the studios are indeed chambered but with full thickness mahogany with maple cap bodies. The studio lite had some of the wood replaced with balsa wood to bring the weight down.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Eddie and daan like this.
  7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I'm the same way. I've been looking for an LP to play. Not flip or stare at on the wall, or whatever. I want a player ,so I'm gonna have to check it out good and get a feel for the neck. I'm not a fan of the D shape neck ,so it has to feel right ;)

Then there is the weight as well ,snce I'm not a fan f heavy guitars .

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities

I had a 91 Studio Lite, it was chambered and filled with Balsa wood. It was normally shaped in every other way, though. It wasn’t heavy, either. I put SD “Whole Lotta Humbuckers” in it, and it sounded great. I had also put all Nickel hardware on it, and glued up the broken headstock (which is why I could afford it in the first place). I had always wanted a “real” LP after having a couple copies (and an Epi one) for a while. Mine was a multi-month project, but as soon as I finished it, I realized I hated the neck and sold it :(

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    Funny how that is sometimes. I bought a Tribute a few years back and played it less and less over a couple months. In the end, my thinky-brain, that thought I should love it because it had all the right stuff, lost out to it just feeling wrong to me. I loves me some LPs, but not that one.

daan likes this.
  10. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-Meister

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Just another example of how something that works for some people can be totally wrong for others. The beauty of music and guitars, the variety!

daan likes this.
  11. pflug

pflug Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2013
    Michigan
    When I bought mine the Studio was the lowest line that had a gloss finish and came with a real case. Weight relief is similar to a "regular" modern Les Paul so still a substantial guitar
    Not quite the same as one costing twice as much but still a great feel

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice