Would love some advice for a chorus pedal

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by BlueSquirrel, Jun 13, 2019 at 3:28 PM.

1. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Hi everyone!

I've started learning "A Forest" by The Cure and I'm wondering if it were possible to find a chorus pedal which would be good for songs such as The Cure's, Nirvana's and The Smiths'?

Or would you say that their sounds are too far apart to be played with the same gear?

Thanks a lot for your insight!

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm not normally one to recommend Boss pedals but a CH1 should be able to handle all of that.

3. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I used a Boss CE 3 for many years. I'm using a CE 5 now.... but those tunes/artists are all right in there for the heyday of the first generation Boss Chorus right on up.

dbrian66, BlueSquirrel, Bluzy and 2 others like this.
  4. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I bought a Arion SCH-1 from a member here. It is a very versatile stereo chorus pedal, and even adjustable to get a pseudo rotary effect.
    Get a used MIJ if you locate one.
    upload_2019-6-13_15-19-11.jpeg

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

The Digiteck "Multi-Chorus" will take you wherever you want to go, clean or dirty. Mine is probably 10 years old and still sounds as good as the day I brought it home. I'm not even sure you can still get a new one.

6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I have that one. I bought it in the 80s because I couldn't afford a Boss. 30 years later I find out that it's sought-after.

7. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

I used one of these for a long time ? Then a DOD . now a Digitech ? The Arion is a great pedal !

8. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    MXR Black Label Chorus. Yeah I know it's Zakk Wylde's signature pedal but after I got it I've never even wanted to look for another chorus pedal. Seems to cover all the bases and do it well.

9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
  10. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier-Meister

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    It seems like everyone and their brother make a chorus. I have a really old DOD. I have liked the Boss ones in the past. Used ones are cheap.

11. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I had an old (Maxon) Ibanez stereo chorus/vibrato that was really sweet. Right now I am building a Boss ce3 clone. It seems to sound the closest to the old Maxon circuit.

12. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier Talker

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    Im happy to learn from all of you, glad i checked this thread.

13. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    Nice Ken. I have the Hardwire TR-7 Trem/Rotary pedal. A lot of features stuffed into one pedal, as you know with your CR-7.

14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

That's the magic - there is 6 pedals in one ! underrated series - the Reverb pedal is still 150.00 !

15. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Whatever you wind up with that really sounds good to you ('cause these are all good pedals by the way), you'll find the sweet spots for the gear you're playing. Why do I use a Boss Chorus pedal? That's what I stumbled into as as a good used deal in 1982 and I've stuck with them eve since. Whatever you decide, make sure you try the pedal both in front of your signal as well as through your effects loop if you have one. Some pedals only sound right in front of the amp. For instance, I have a EHX Small Clone that sounds very lush, too, as long as it's in front of the amp. But if I run it in the effects loop on any of my gig amps the volume drops. Let your ears be your guide. If you wind up ponying up for a more expensive pedal you won't be sorry in the long run.

16. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks a lot for all your comments and suggestions. There isn't an fx loop on my amp, so that's settled.

Apparently, the EHX Small Clone was used by Kurt Cobain. How Nirvanesque! Would you recommend it? Would it be good for Brit pop as well?

As for "A Forest" by The Cure, I might have gotten mixed up with another Cure song. I've just listened to it again and I'm not sure it's a chorus effect with delay. Could be a flanger with delay... are there any Cure fans around?

If I need to get chorus + flanger (+ some sort of distortion for Nirvana stuff), I may have to consider cheaper brands as well, such as Behringer or Joyo or the like, or postpone my project to a later date...

Has anyone tried the Behringer Ultra Chorus 200, for instance?

17. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    I also saw an ad for a used all-in-one chorus / flanger / phaser pedal called TC Electronics Nova md-1. It's very tempting, however it has mixed review on the web. Has anybody tried it yet?

18. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I use an MXR Analog Chorus, and I’m quite pleased with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice