Workbench

Discussion in 'Pak Rats Nest' started by Brettdvd, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    I have the Harbor Freight one and it's well worth the money other than the drawers and slides are pure crap however. They're not very sturdy nor do the slides line up well enough to get them from falling out.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    I got the lighted one at Harbor Freight for 100 works great IMG_0015.JPG

Kenneth Mountain, OzinKY and mb doug like this.
  3. OzinKY

OzinKY Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2017
    Jeff, sorry for the delayed reply. My CRS is not getting any better. Yes I can draw up something. I'm not a computer architect. I did so many "standard" benches as few years ago I have most of the measurements engrained. My design and construction is probably overkill for guitar work, they are very sturdy and durable. Nothing against those box store benches, but they are pretty wobbly. I wouldn't want to accidentally drop an armload of 2x12s on one. May be OK for certain work but not in my shop. I'm gonna make my bride happy tomorrow and use the dining room table to operate on my Aff Strat. Maybe I need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express tonight?

Kenneth Mountain, jefffam and mb doug like this.
  4. 4seven3

4seven3 Squier Talker

Jul 23, 2016
    Dallas
    I bought this kit a few years back. It comes with just the corners and you supply the 2x4 and plywood. The cool thing about it is you can make it any size you need it. Mine is 6ft wide, almost 3ft deep and I used a 2x6 up top for a bit of extra height. OSB plywood for the bottom two shelves and cabinet grade ply for the top. TONS of room with how I built it and its heavy as crap!

Wallsmarts and Northern Tools have the kits (got mine from Northern)

This is a stock pic.

IMG_7054.JPG

mb doug and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. OzinKY

OzinKY Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2017
    @jefffam Sorry I took so long to get back here. My memory is shorter than my....I forgot. Disclaimer: I'm not an architect, artist, nor photographer.
    I have made almost 110 of this style bench for numerous uses I won't list here. The drawing is without a pegboard back. When using pegboard the back legs need to be taller or the pegboard could have a removable frame attached. Most folks between 5'8"--6' are comfortable with 35" overall height, I have made taller and shorter. With this size it optimizes lumber, is simple to move, and many get two and use end-to-end to work on larger stuff. I use 5/8" plywood (19/32" is what some places call it) the majority of the time. A couple customers wanted 2x6" frames for peace of mind for a 100 gallon aquariums. My standard bench has held a big block Chevy engine with everything except oil and carburetor when my engine stand was on loan.
    I use pocket holes inside the frame so no nail or bolt heads are seen. Instead of the 1/8" hardboard you may want to use carpet or something for guitar work.
    I also have about a 2" overlap of the top from the frame on front and sides for easy clamping. The design possibilities are limitless. Oz
    Bench design1.jpg Bench design1.jpg Bench design2.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  6. jackdragbean

jackdragbean Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2011
    Mississippi
  7. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-Meister

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    I got one of those PJ. Wait and you can get them for $129. Goes together easy but the box heavy as you know what. I also put a set of lockable swivel wheels on it too. Makes it nice when you move it to get a better angle without having to unbrace a project.

BorderRadio and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  8. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    I have the one from Harbor Freight. Well pleased with it. It's large enough for working on a bass. I had a 25% off coupon and got it for less than 76 bucks with tax. Harbor Freight has the pegboard hooks cheap and they come in four or five different sizes and styles. The holes lineup for all the varieties but on some of the larger hooks you will have to drill the holes on the pegboard a bit larger. No biggie it just takes seconds.

0613172334.jpg
    The magnetic tool holder strips were free w/coupon.

That vice is very cool. Holds solid as a rock and has rubber pads on the jaws that are removable. Tilt any angle you need it.
    https://m.harborfreight.com/hand-to...uarter-inch-articulated-vacuum-vise-3311.html

I'm lucky to have a Harbor Freight only a five minute drive from here. Everything I buy I get 20-25% off. If it's something on sale that I can't use the coupon for and it would be less to wait until it's not on sale and the coupon would make it less I'll just wait. Plus I get something free every time I go in there w/those freebie coupons.

Some of the stuff there is junk so you have to separate the wheat from the chaff. Their plastic tool boxes are junk. Don't buy the auto fuses they sell. If they blow and you pull them out the blades stay stuck in the fuse box. Their drill bits will break on you if you use them on metal and sometimes even wood. Their sheet metal screws and wood screws are okay just to have handy but expect about half of them to break and the heads to strip.

Some of the stuff is great though and you can save a lot of money.

9. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    They are sturdy, especially after you store some stuff on the bottom shelf. The ones they have in the store on display don't have any weight on them and the bolts aren't always tightened down on them.

If you get one be prepared to have a large area to assemble it and plan on a couple of hours for assembly time.

Also it's pretty heavy packed. Helps if you have someone help load and unload it and carry it to wherever you're going to open it up and assemble it. Pay very close attention to the instructions or you will use the wrong bolts in the wrong places.

10. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Five Points, AL
    Took a long time to get back to you too. Thanks for the plans. Now all I need to do is build it. :D

11. Brettdvd

Brettdvd Squier-Nut

Sep 24, 2015
    Mississippi
    Man, i'm jealous of your workbench! Good to see someone has something nice that didnt cost an arm and a leg. Looks like you have it well organized too, for me that would last a day or two, and then turn to complete chaos.

Hugh and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. Hugh

Hugh Squier-Nut

Dec 15, 2009
    USA
    Thanks, that is about as cluttered as I will let it get. And I took that photo when I saw your thread. Some of that stuff is never on the bench like that pile of pedals on the left, the lint roller, fingernail polish remover, and a couple of other items.

I had just finished cleaning up a Pedaltrain Metro 24 board and carry bag I got cheap off Craigslist yesterday. The case and board look new but both had cat hairs all over them lol. No dander or odor though. I went into cork sniffer mode and the seller got a kick out of me sniffing the bag and board:p

We both got a good laugh out of that one.

The Velcro on the board was the soft side like what I had on the bottom of my pedals so I had to strip the velcro off my pedals and put the loop side on them. But it came with three times as much Velcro I needed so it's all good. The lint roller was for the cat hair and the fingernail polish was to get the old adhesive off my pedals before I put the new Velcro on.

13. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Recent addition to my bench, a WorkZone (Aldi), power strip/tool holder/LED light, its exactly what I needed here, I only wish I could mount it a bit higher (can't, because of the window).
    IMG_3697.JPG

mb doug and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Our local western auto has all the free riding lawn mower shipping crates you can haul for free. I went down and grabbed about ten, took them apart for rafters and blocking on a shed I will start this fall with a work bench built inside. The crates are made of 2x4's and 3/4 material all free.

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    This is a good bench, I picked one up earlier this year. The drawers are a not great, but haven't failed me so far. They kind of get in the way of bench hold-downs, at least my adjustable set that I use to clamp the work piece. I'd ditch them if they didn't actually come in handy.

16. Lonn

Lonn Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    I use a plain old pressed board desk that used to belong to my daughter, with a towel on top. I've been wanting another but keep telling myself I'm getting out of guitars.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Kenneth Mountain and radiotech like this.
  17. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Same

18. Kickstand

Kickstand Squier-Nut

Dec 23, 2015
    El Mirage Arizona