Wiring of a classic vibe strat

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by EugenioG, Oct 29, 2019.

1. EugenioG

EugenioG Squier Talker

Aug 4, 2018
    México
    Hello, my squier classic vibe 60's is sick. The bridge pickup doesn't sound anymore, weird thing is that the 4th position does, (middle and bridge). I'm gonna open it and try to fix it, I think a cable maybe got loose. Which diagram should I use for that?

Guitarmageddon and duggerh like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Check the switch first. That's where the problem usually is, it not making good contact in a particular position. I had this problem with my SX Strat-oid and just upgraded the switch.

drewcp, EugenioG and Guitarmageddon like this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    nowhere
    Electrical contact cleaner on the 5-way switch....that has 99.9999% probability of being the problem

4. EugenioG

EugenioG Squier Talker

Aug 4, 2018
    México
    Thank you. I'm going to try this today. Where in the switch do I have to apply the cleaner? I'm sorry, but I've never done this.

drewcp likes this.
  5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Slide the switch all the way to one side and spray a little in the open end. Slide the switch to the opposite end and spray some in the other side. Move the switch back and forth a dozen times or more and you should be good. Some folks may recommend giving it an hour or so to "dry" but I never do. There isn't enough electricity going through that switch to cause any real problems.

6. Daniel_Doom

Daniel_Doom Squier Talker

Dec 2, 2019
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I'm a "rip it apart" kinda guy. I'd pull the pickguard off and spray the hell out of the switch. It's an "open" switch. You can make sure ALL the metal contacts get cleaned. And I only use DeOxit cleaner. I'd be afraid I'd squirt too much down from the top, and soak stuff that might get harmed by it. (But that's just me) :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice