Why upgrade?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Flying Z, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    So im new to guitar and I am seeing all kinds of great builds and mods on ST, I've been thinking i should get into mod because it would fit my budget more and im a' kinda fix it guy.

So i asked the always helpful YouTube and wanted to share....enjoy and share thoughts. Please.

mb doug likes this.
  2. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Chicago
    For me modding is about compromises to get the best possible instrument for the money. It’d be great to get a closet full of guitars with every range of specs, but not everyone has ten grand for 5 American Elites. So instead I find a solid platform that feels and plays well, and then I can customize electronics and hardware to get tone closer to what I want and feel and features without breaking the bank. Even buying a modding platform new, I can usually get close to my target for well under half, sometimes under a quarter of the price. It’s not perfect, but it can be pretty great.

3. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    For me it is really about enjoying the build. I like to work on guitars as much as I do playing guitars. But in the end, you can end up with an instrument that plays and sounds way above its price point.

4. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-Meister

Feb 14, 2019
    ^^^ Nailed it :)

5. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    I'm at the point where, over the years, I've acquired a lot of parts. Both new and used, stripped from old guitars, scored on ebay, etc. I can just about put something together without having to buy anything. Modding or putting a partscaster together is a hobby, a challenge, and an interesting way to create something better and forget about work for a while. No way do I consider this "building". I see what talented others on ST do, making bodies, necks, designing. To me, that's work...…..modding is supposed to be fun.

6. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I concur with the gents above. It's a nice way of making something better without spending bucket loads of money. Its also a nice way of customizing a general instrument to something geared towards whatever I want it to sound like.

7. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Of what he did, I only consider the pickups and pots "modding" in a strict sense. You could argue that running a scouring pad up and down the back of the neck is changing it but it's not exactly brain surgery. The rest is just being able to maintain your own guitar and those are skills that will pay long term dividends.

I think it comes full circle back to your question "Why upgrade?". You need to be mindful of sinking money into a guitar to try (subconsciously or otherwise) to make it something it's not. If you're hoping to be compensated financially for your time and expense, in most cases you'll be disappointed. If you're keeping your budget sensible and having fun? Have at it.

The sound difference between the two guitars in the video was subtle at best and I'm not even sure which of the two I preferred...

8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    I mod because around here it's the law..:D On a serious note I mod because I enjoy it and I challenge myself to get the best out of a cheaper guitar. Great hobby, stress reliever, and a touch of excitement clicking on tracking numbers from other members.:D Of course there is always somebody out there that says its only a 80.00 dollar guitar, why the 150.00 pickups? :mad:

9. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    And look like, I've been thinking of making my affinity unique.

Yeah they both sounded good to me, but i did guessed the one that was moded and to me it sounded a lil smoother!?

dbrian66 and strat_strummer like this.
  10. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
    Best advise I can give @Flying Z is start simple and cheap and best of all, have fun with it.. I have several sets of cheap pups that sound as good as if not better than some expensive ones I have.

BlueSquirrel, Flying Z and dbrian66 like this.
  11. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    Really appreciate that tip! I think i need another squire before i can upgrade, so i can keep playing....if i screw up and can't fix fast. Lol

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Because, like Evrest, it's there,...:D
    That and I would be board to death by buying something straight off the rack: what's the fun in having something that several hundred other people have?

Flying Z and dbrian66 like this.
  13. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    What I say

Flying Z and dbrian66 like this.
  14. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Localized concentrations of highly alcoholic fluids sometimes plays a part, I must adimit,..:D

squierplayer, Flying Z and dbrian66 like this.
  15. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-Nut

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    I just remember my mantra. Fixed Income.........Fixed Income......... Fixed Income. Honestly, I've always been a modder and tinkerer. Several years ago, I wanted a motorcycle, couldn't afford one. A guy in Florida gave me one he'd ruined the engine on, in pieces(missing a few Biggie's), in boxes. I figured it out, batered, Ebayed, and got what I needed. Took a year and a half, but I put it on the road! Did the same with an AR-15 I wanted. When I wanted an LP, I bought the pieces I wanted, over time, and built Gypsy, my LPish. Now I'm just addicted! It's just fun.

16. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Crappie fishing.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice