Why do some people dampen or change their tremolo springs on a strat?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by BlueSquirrel, Feb 24, 2019.

1. KG7IL

KG7IL Squier Talker

May 1, 2018
    Eatonville, WA edge of cowtown
    I've seen vids or articles that say "as long as you are in there' dampen the springs.
    I'm sure some folks have done it, just because the vid or article said so.
    I'm not sure if they could give any other reason.

I run mine .009-.042, two springs fully floated. No dampening and don't see a reason to dampen them.

SquierTap likes this.
  2. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    But I do dampen my springs... I saw somewhere where someone suggested takin an old broken guitar cable and cutting it into lengths a little shorter than the springs and actually stuffing them in the middle of the springs... I didn't have a broken cable at the time, (go figure, lol) but I did have a bunch of old DSL cable... So, I just stripped the actual wires out and used the sheath of insulation... That bein said, there are definitely better ways of gettin the desired effect... You don't really stop and think about it, but if you use an old busted lead, it's gonna add weight, too... And especially if you've got a bad back like me, ounces count... So, from now on out, I'm either gonna use cotton balls, cotton batting, tissues, or toilet paper... But it's just like anything else, it REALLY bothers some people, some people can't even hear it, and some folks dig the "natural reverb"... Especially since I watched that Dr. Groovy video, it bothers me now, and I can't un-hear it, lol...

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Nut

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Some people worry about the colour of *****, but can’t change their own strings.

Caddy and so1om like this.
  4. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Very informative video, thanks!

5. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Let me find my can o' worms....

Some people think it makes a difference, some don't. Some people think it's important and necessary, some don't. It's not unlike thinking a full size CTS pot replacing a perfectly good unknown brand small diameter pot is helping. If they think it's doing something and it's helping, well more power to them.

wonkenstein and Caddy like this.
  6. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I have dampened them but when they are noisy, bothers the crap out of me and buyers do not like it.

I would not dampen them just for the hell of it.

First time it happened it kind of threw me, took a little while to find the culprit.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  7. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    I would think if you need to put foam in or on your springs you may have a problem.

AND...

Why would Fender build a guitar that you need to put foam in the springs?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    drewcp likes this.
  8. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    So I would guess that having the string tree on the G and D would solve the problem of the High D harmonic Issue.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  9. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Indeed! I do have a second string tree on the G and D string (they came stock with my strat) and I don't have this problem.

I can see how this High D harmonic could be nicely included in an atmospheric song, though. Same goes for the "spring reverb". Depending on the song, it could actually be a nice addition... Every little drawback might have its silver lining. ;)

10. mschafft

mschafft Squier Talker

May 5, 2018
    Switzerland
    I only dampen them when I get annoying sympathetic vibration from the springs. A small piece of foam inside each spring does the job just fine.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  11. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    I just saw an article in Vintage Guitar about spraying them with rubberized coating like the stuff you dip plier handles in. Great pictures in the article. :rolleyes:

12. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Coating them to remove vibrations, you mean?
    I sure would love to see a picture of the rubberized springs.

13. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    C571BD05-0522-4B26-B34C-CDF01B0734DB.jpeg 000BB663-7ACF-49A1-9BD0-F405068AC627.jpeg 08B7540E-DE33-47EA-8D11-A8398C1DAA91.jpeg
    Here’s the article.

rorygman, brians and BlueSquirrel like this.
  14. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    ^^^^ I knew there was a reason I did this

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  15. MadJack

MadJack Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2018
    Candler, FL
    I have two guitars with the Strat style trem. My MIM Strat is full floating with four springs and that on I do dampen them, as they were ringing at times. I use an old piece of t-shirt fabric. Simple, cheap and effective.

The other trem is decked and is silent.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  16. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Meister

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I've dampened the springs on my Strat because it had this very odd issue where you'd hear them ringing, if I recall correctly, when playing either G or an A at the low E string, even weirder, playing the open A string wouldn't cause that. It was very resonant and noticeable, so the problem was promptly solved.

I did the same thing to my old Jackson thinking it had the same problem, but it still occurred - under closer investigation, I figured the ringing came from the neck pickup that was likely loose. Finally, my current PRS SE doesn't seem to have any issues whatsoever regarding this subject, but I must add it took several years of ownership for my Strat to show that ringing problem, so I may eventually dampen them all well, since I have an extra foam pad laying around.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  17. Mfranzdorf

Mfranzdorf Squier-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    NW Ohio
    I had a guy once tell me that putting vintage springs in completely changed and improved his tone. I didn’t argue with him, I never tried it so I don’t know, but I’m skeptical. He may be right, who knows.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  18. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Meister

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Why did I read this thread. Just finished moding an SE. Was playing with earphones and had this twang, barley audible, but it bugged me. I thought it was fret buzz checked the height made a few adjustments, still there. I thought, Hmmmm, got some cotton balls stuffed them around the springs, which are decked. And BAM its gone. Go figure.

brians, Davey and BlueSquirrel like this.
  19. TEXINGA

TEXINGA Squier-Meister

Dec 7, 2018
    GA
    I have black painted springs and notice they do NOT make a noise maybe the paint helps. 20181208_141301.jpg

BlueSquirrel and Davey like this.
  20. vervillev

vervillev Squier Talker

Nov 17, 2011
    Tidewater,Va
    I have a frankenstrat Starcaster with the steel tremblock and claw loaded and decked and I love the sound I get acoustically and amplified. The trem is loaded with GFS stainless steel saddles and the trem plated is deck and blocked. This all added weight and mass and has really brought out the tones. YMMV...

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice