Why do some people dampen or change their tremolo springs on a strat?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by BlueSquirrel, Feb 24, 2019.

1. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    What difference does it make soundwise?

Thanks a lot for your answers!

2. brians

brians Squier-Nut

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I dampen my springs by putting self adhesive foam under the springs in the trem cavity. I "think" it tidies the metal type reverb sound coming from the springs. Truth is, I don't really know if it makes that much of a difference , but I feel better about it. I saw it done a long time ago, and have done it ever since. Don't quote me on this, maybe it's real or not real , one of those things.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

3. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-Nut

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    I was gonna ask this same question. I am fixing up a couple squiers and I came across guys doing this. Most say the same thing as brains. They saw someone do it so they did. I don't hear nothing from springs myself.
    Same thing with trem blocks, changing to brass to change your sound.

Caddy, SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Nut

Because they want to, for whatever reason? I've heard of folks dampening the springs due to "ringing" (?) , have never had that problem. I haven't changed, but have added springs for the sole purpose of the thing not feeling so flimsy in use....I hate floating trems when setting up and all, but they're great once dialed in :cool:

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    To the best of my knowledge, people dampen the Strat springs because like any longer spring, at certain frequencies they will vibrate or ring out a harmonic of that frequency. I've done it to a couple guitars but not universally. If you slit it, it makes a smaller circle, it will definitely dampen the strings.

Depending on where the ground solder is on the claw, I add springs to all my Strats, so they have 4 or 5. The I screw them in so that they are all hard decked, and do not move.

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I've done it a few times just for the hell of it..Never noticed any huge difference..

7. Saw a video the other day where buddy builds Strats but doesn't put a back cover on them. Claimed they sound better and the so the springs can ring out. :confused:
    Cheers, Barrie.

8. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Are the springs made of some metal that is particularly well-suited to making music? Are there different types of springs?

9. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Meister

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I could see how the springs could vibrate enough to get the strings to react to it But you would have to be playing really loud like a 50 watt and standing close enough to get it to happen

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  10. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Meister

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    I've had springs that are shiny and bright, and some that are gray, like a zinc alloy trem block. The different materials will likely have slightly different spring rates and resonance frequency. On one occasion I had a Strat that because of the exact amount of tension from the exact position of the trem claw, when it hit the exactly right note, and the exact composition and exact age of the spring, that one single spring would vibrate enough so that I would hear it and feel it ringing out. Playing unplugged it was louder than the actual guitar note, and rather unpleasant.

I just swapped the spring out with an extra one I had lying around. Never happened again. Probably could've used a tissue, or a rubber band or just about anything else, but in this case, a new spring was the tidier choice.

So this was the one time I experienced this. I'm sure a more experienced technician would have heard of this plenty of times, and would take preemptive actions to avoid this phenomenon.

SquierTap and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    The springs are under the bridge pickup. When I have that pickup selected I can hear the springs ring out even at low volumes or with headphones.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  12. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I do not dampen. I consider it built in reverb...

Caddy, Dr Improbable and SquierTap like this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Squier-Meister

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Some like the springs ringing out (doesn't translate into the amp output, just a sound for the player) while some don't like that noise.

Look up the Eric Clapton Strat trem blocking block. Use a wood block and remove the springs entirely. Then you will find more consistent tuning stability and when bending notes all the other strings stay in tune.

14. VMamp

VMamp Squier Talker

Jan 28, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Removing the springs will disconnect the bridge from the guitars earth, you need to add an alternative directly to the bridge assembly or leave the spring(s).

rorygman, drewcp and SquierTap like this.
  15. Zappa_Tappa

Zappa_Tappa Squier Talker

Feb 18, 2019
    Fromforthfirth
    Joe Bonamassa, Kenny Wayne - love hardtails. Other than a Robert Cray, these instruments are criminally under produced IMO.

wonkenstein, drewcp and SquierTap like this.
  16. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    The springs in my MIM strat are pretty noisy. It does t bleed through into the amp because the pickups aren’t microphonic, but playing unplugged I always hear them ringing out. Thought about muting them, but have yet to bother to actually do it.

drewcp and SquierTap like this.
  17. Zappa_Tappa

Zappa_Tappa Squier Talker

Feb 18, 2019
    Fromforthfirth
    There have been some threads on raw vintage springs here and elsewhere. I do not understand the hype but it may be real.

drewcp and SquierTap like this.
  18. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    My amp doesn't have built-in reverb, so I like this idea!

19. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    And by tightening or loosening the claw a little bit, you can "tune" the springs to ring when you play a specific pitch. (Only unplugged or with the bridge pickup, of course.)

20. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I've got ya, brother... I found this video a while back, and thought it MAINLY focuses on a different lil quirky noise that Fenders make, he demonstrates the spring noise, too... Just to be honest, at first (and still now to an extent), I didn't really care for his personality... He kinda rubs me the wrong way with the way he acts sometimes, but hey, he DOES seem to know his stuff... Especially about this... But just a warning; Once you hear that noise, you will NEVER be able to un-hear it... You'll probably do like I did and RUN and check every Fender and Squier that you've got, lol... And it WILL be there... Lol... You're welcome, lol...

BlueSquirrel and LutherBurger like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice