Why Didn't Fender Do It This Way?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Archangelmm, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier Talker

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    Check out this Youtube video by Phillip McKnight from his "Know your Gear" channel about a simple upgrade to the Telecaster.

This is Genius, this will definitely be an upgrade on all of my current and any future Tele's. I also agree, why didn't Fender do it this way? it seems like a no brainer, it took 60+ years for a company to come up with such a simple but great upgrade to an already great guitar.

2. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Phillip always has good stuff on his channel.

3. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    Yep...sweet, cheap upgrade.

Kenneth Mountain and Archangelmm like this.
  4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-Nut

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    Trial and error I guess. They figured it out for the strat, but then they couldn’t upgrade the tele or else what’s the incentive to buy the strat?

5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Great idea..Here's how I dealt with it..
    Super Tele 001.jpg

6. Archangelmm

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    Papa Joe, love your mod also, did it take a while to get used to the change in where the switch and knobs were?
    what pickups do you have in that beautiful Butterscotch Tele?
    I have been wanting to try 3 singles in a Tele similar to Johnny Hiland signature guitar, I believe his signature guitar is by Keisel.

7. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    OK To beguine, That's no longer my guitar..Sold it about 2 or 3 months ago to a forum member here..
    It's not butterscotch..It's amber lacquer ..
    Pickups are Dimarzio chopper in the bridge, Dimarzio strat (don't remember the model) in the middle and a Charlie Christian in the neck..
    I seldom have a problem with different controls..I've played so many different guitars and in different situations that I've learned to adapt quickly..
    I like having the vol handy..

8. Archangelmm

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    Very nice, that amber lacquer is a great color.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    19859010_1411117928979490_613643231_o.jpg I just flip the plate around and the pots ,nice idea though.

10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-Nut

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Johnny Hiland's awesome...

11. You'd think Fender would get a substantial discount buying large volume … $19.95 :D
    I've never had an issue or noticed that tight restriction before … Humm.

Cheers, Barrie

12. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    I been watching one of those for over a year - I don't roll my V's and I like to flip my tele control plates - so I never bothered ? It's something I would ask for as a gift - I would never buy for myself ?

theflow likes this.
  13. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Neither have I, but I leave the volume at 10.;)

14. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    08AA93DB-E77F-4261-AA56-55EDC77ACE7E.jpeg I think they still make them the original way, because we guitarists are a conservative lot- “But Leo did it THIS way 65 years ago!” I used to flip my control plate over too, just to get the switch out of the way. Lots of Teles have a “hump” in the control cavity you have to take out first, though.

Archangelmm and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Some guys like to play with their knobs :) So the Strat placement is perfect for them. I personally like to find the sound I like best and just leave it there, so if it was up to me, every guitar would have a control layout like an SG-Jr... way out of the way, so I don’t keep hitting it while playing. And yes I should just practice more (or be less uncoordinated) instead, but...
    D2E6F2A6-507A-4A57-A30F-C1F4112FB2DA.jpeg
    The Tele layout is... OK but I would have preferred everything farther away from the strings.

16. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-Nut

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    The switch never bothered me, though I see how this might help some people. I really enjoy Phil McKnight's Youtube universe. Just fun, intelligent, respectful talk about gear. Kind of like what we get at S/T.

17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Never had a problem with the switch location, but doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea. I have put a Strat tip on my favorite Tele so I could better find a positition notch on a 4-way switch, which is bigger annoyance to me.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  18. mikesr1963

mikesr1963 Squier-holic

May 6, 2016
    Virginia
    This issue never bothered me. I just played the guitar.