Why buy a Squier ???

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Most of us on this forum are adults who hold reasonable jobs and have enough earning power to pretty much buy any guitar we wanted (within reason).

Why the heck do we bother with Squier? It's an entry level guitar meant for pre-teen boys and girls. It's an attempt by Fender to hook young players so one day they'll upgrade to Fender's pricier line of musical instruments.

Even the logo on the headstock calls for sneers, chuckles, and dismissive looks. No one buys Squier because they "want" one. No one really "wants" a Squier ... only kids and the desperately penniless buy Squiers.

90% of CL ads for Squiers say, "Great guitar for beginners". Why the heck would I want a guitar associated with and marketed for beginners? Try going over to Strat Talk with a NGD post about snagging a Squier Affinity Strat for $50 or a pawn shop find.

Ok ... I'm loading it on. But this is the perception Squier has out in the guitar world. Why do we keep returning to Squiers when we can obviously afford "better" and pricier guitars?

duggerh, Robb, SquierTap and 8 others like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Yep. The corksniffing is strong over there. One of the reasons I no longer visit it (as well as another forum well known for its corksniffery).

I only have 1 Squier currently, a 2005 Standard Strat. However, I have a decent collection of cheapos, mainly Rondo SXs, Epiphones and assorted oddballs I got great deals on used. The reason behind it is that part of the hobby for me is working on guitars. I don't want to risk damaging a $1000+ guitar. Plus, I enjoy turning a snear-worthy guitar into something special on a meager budget.

3. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-Nut

Jun 16, 2016
    NY
    The joy of playing a great feeling and sounding guitar that can be had for not very much $$ = great pleasure for most of us Squier fans. Same goes for Epiphones in that regard.

I was thinking the very same thing this morning while playing my modified SE, marveling at the thought that it plays every bit as good as some guitars costing 3 to 4 times more.

Yes, we have nicer guitars at our disposal, but sometimes reaching over for the "lowly" Squiers is more gratifying than playing those more expensive ones.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    duggerh, Robb, SquierTap and 7 others like this.
  4. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Because as you said, we're adults with good earning power to buy whatever guitar we want. My late mother and her husband were the "poor"ones in their group...only worth 7 figures. Mom shopped at K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Dollar General...places like that. Sure, they had Rolex watches and a Mercedes sitting in the garage of their HUGE house (her everyday car was a caddy, her husband owned a king cab chevy pickup), but she and her friends all had that...and ALL shopped and spent judiciously. Thats why they were worth 7 figures....smart spending. I see it the same here....sure, I could have a couple custom shop Les Paul customs sitting here, but I have more fun and see more value with my Squiers and a couple upgrades.

duggerh, Rat cam 68, MrYeats and 11 others like this.
  5. Yes Eddie, the Affinitys and Bullets are entry level guitars. I've only ever owned one of each. The Affinity I still have but never play it & the Bullet was in my possession for 5 days before I flipped it for double what I paid.
    Personally, I stick to the higher end Squiers. They're just a better quality all around, and as pointed out, it doesn't take much to make them even better if you so choose.

Cheers, Barrie.

duggerh, Rat cam 68, MrYeats and 9 others like this.
  6. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I was thinking the other day while playing my modded SE that it's so cool to be able to find these amazing guitars for so little money. I bought it for $25. So for $125 after mods, I have a custom Stratocaster. My Jagmaster is amazing. It plays and sounds fantastic! I love Squier guitars.

7. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I think it really comes down to value for your $$.

The American Original 60s Strat is $1949 - and a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat is $399

Yes, I understand the MIA Strat is "better", no argument here -- but 5 TIMES BETTER?? NFW!

I'd rather have 5 top-end Squiers than one top end MIA :cool:

duggerh, Rat cam 68, brians and 12 others like this.
  8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

The same reason I drive a 1984 Dodge van... I don't buy things to impress anyone. With the van, I find that it weeds out the shallow people. If someone decides he/she doesn't want to be my friend because of things like what I drive, we're both better off finding that out early. If my Squier drives someone away from liking me, we'll both be happier because of it. :)

duggerh, Rat cam 68, MrYeats and 16 others like this.
  9. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Search at this forum to the answer to this question that's been asked 1,000+ times.

Ask it on Start-Talk, TDPRi or wherever. Read the opposite.

Slow news day. Didn't you order or receive another guitar @Eddie ? :D

10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Well I don't fit with "buy what ever I want" group..My 1993 Ford F150 is what I can afford..But it gets me there and back just fine..
    Same can be said for my musical gear..It's what I can afford but it gets the job done..
    Would I buy more expensive stuff if I had the money ?? Probably not..(Except for the Gretsh White Falcon)..
    I have 89 years of experience of making do..

11. Unit11

Unit11 Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Providence, RI
    With me it's kind of a funny story. After putting down the guitar in the 80's, I picked it back up in the winter of 2015 with an Ibanez RG and Jamvox software. The axe felt too heavy and the neck too wide (for me that is, not necessarily for the next guy) and I had a hard time making myself play it. It would sit on its stand for weeks at a time while guilt gnawed at me. I'd bought all this fine equipment, and I wasn't using it!

Finally I sold them to GC last November.

By March I was itching to try guitar once more. This time I sought a cheaper guitar, so I wouldn't feel so guilty if I didn't play it. I settled on a Squier Bullet Strat because it's made by Fender, which I'd never owned, but didn't run hundreds of bucks.

And what a difference! I love the feel of it--so natural--it's just the right weight, the action's just right, and my fingers can fly over it. It also helps that I got a real amp this time, a Marshall Code 25. The Bullet sounds sweet through it, clean and distorted both.

The RG cost 450.00. The Bullet Strat cost 150.00.

It's true that you get what you pay for, but I guess there's an exception to every rule. ;)

Rat cam 68, MrYeats, willhowl and 5 others like this.
  12. mrriggs

mrriggs Squier-Meister

Apr 27, 2018
    Vancouver, WA
    Ha! I was going to say, "The same reason I drive a 1984 Ford LTD..."

[​IMG]

Not trying to impress anyone. I know what I like and what "fits" me.

It certainly isn't to save money. I've spent "American Fender" money fixing up my "cheap" Bullet Mustang. You'd have me committed if I told you how much I've spent on the Ford. They aren't investments and I don't plan on selling either in my lifetime. I have them because I truly enjoy them. How do you put a price on that?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    duggerh, Rat cam 68, MrYeats and 8 others like this.
  13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I buy Squier because I want one, because I feel the quality is BETTER than Fender Mexico or USA....they slack off and ride on their reputation and sometimes ruin it, every MIM product I've ever had a customer bring in needed a fret level and crown, even brand new!

And, you can EASILY go to Strat-talk and have people praise Squier guitars too.....there's a ton of 'fanboys' there.....

The reputation Squier has out in the guitar world is EXCELLENT from what I see dealing locally....

duggerh, MrYeats, brians and 6 others like this.
  14. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    why buy squier?

why the hell not?

duggerh, Rat cam 68, MrYeats and 9 others like this.
  15. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    I sit among coworkers who drive (left to right,) BMW, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, Acura. I drive a Mazda 3 Hatchback with a 6-speed manual transmission.

I have filled a guitar rack with Squiers - A CV 50s Strat, VM Jazzmaster, VM Tele JM Special, VM Mustang, and a Jagmaster Std. I've paid little more than half of what a new American Original Jazzmaster would cost, including mods. I'm an amateur player, and Squier suits my needs just fine. I'd love to pick up a MIJ Jaguar, and/or Jazzmaster because I love those matching headstocks.

I enjoy playing all of the guitars I own. I'm playing to make music, and noise that makes my brain tingle. The one time I "splurged" and bought a Gibby Les Paul, I felt that it just wasn't that great compared to the Epi I had for years.

Maybe that magical Fender is out there for me, but in all honesty, the most magical guitar I played all year was a Squier Contemporary Tele that I regret not buying - was marked down to $249 at GC.
    upload_2018-7-25_17-22-48.png

16. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Invert the question: Why buy a Fender (MIA/MIM)? :)

17. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    I've said before, in my younger playing days, I spent thousands on gear, always big name stuff. I made a living with it, and in those days, there really was no alternative to get decent gear. When I decided to pick it up again, my life is different. Retired,fixed income, and I'm playing just for the enjoyment of relearning and experimenting. When I found out Jack Pearson was playing a Squire Strat, I figured "Maybe there's something to them". Got my Affinity on a good deal, and was totally impressed! It looks great, plays really well (better than I can take advantage of yet), and is like a blank canvas I'm not afraid to experiment on a bit. The folks I've shown her to were surprised and impressed, but most importantly, I'm happy!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Nut

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    For the fabled resell value when you "just can't bond" with what was the be-all-end-all of guitars a mere 6 months ago.

MrYeats, willhowl, Robb and 6 others like this.
  19. Eddie

Eddie Dr. Squier

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I like Squiers. I'm not totally sure why. Value?

Most people don't value Squiers. So they're often available for ridiculously low prices. $60 for a $199 guitar is some serious depreciation. Then again, I stay away from the thin bodied Squiers. I simply love the NC. I love how, for a little money, it gives me carte blanche to try new things.

I've had CV's and VM's ... but they didn't really stick. I like a nice fat neck.

But I'm at a crossroads ... too many Squiers and no place to put them or time to play them all.

duggerh, techowiz, MrYeats and 3 others like this.
  20. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

Not to disappoint the OP, but everyone of the guys that I know, who can afford a nice guitar, (read what you want into that) has one.
    Don

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice