Who wants to learn to play guitar with me?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Bassman96, Aug 10, 2019.

1. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks for the idea! It would be really good for me as well, I guess. I'm actually left-handed trying to play right-handed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    strat_strummer likes this.
  2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Glad to see you all are practicing..

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  3. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    Im still practicing daly over here.

kniah and BlueSquirrel like this.
  4. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    It has been a tough week for me. We had a death in the family last weekend, then my wife was sick (trip to the ER!) on Monday, and my father in law was admitted to the hospital yesterday. To top it all off, at work I was assigned a proposal to do that another team has been sitting on for six months. I have to get it finished in five days.

Despite all that, I did get some time with the guitar a three times this week including a couple of hours today. No progress on the blues course I've been doing, but I did re-learn AC/DC's Highway to Hell rhythm guitar today, and most of Metallica's Nothing Else Matters. I need to work on the lead guitar parts for both of them. I guess I needed to rock out today.

5. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    Man sorry to hear of your troubles. Prayers for you and your family.

kniah and SubSailer671 like this.
  6. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Likewise sorry to hear about your rough week @SubSailer671 ! Glad you were still able to get some guitar therapy in.

Also good to see some more activity in this thread, I was getting a little concerned! I focused on learning Wonderwall today. Spent about half an hour diagramming the song out and learning the strumming pattern and another half hour practicing. Fun song!

7. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Sorry to hear about your rough week as well @SubSailer671 Its always a good thing to pick up the guitar to relieve a bit of stress..

Flying Z, kniah and SubSailer671 like this.
  8. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Really sorry to hear what you had to go through this week.
    I'm impressed you still managed to pick up a guitar. No doubt ACDC's and Metallica's songs are therapeutic.

I'm sending positive vibes your way.

kniah and SubSailer671 like this.
  9. tortuga

tortuga Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Here
    Would you mind taking a picture of what you diagrammed and posting it?

Flying Z and kniah like this.
  10. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    @ tortuga Perhaps this link could help?
    It's part of an interesting discussion on Wonderwall on a forum entitled "Quora". A guitar instructor called Erick Gerber took the pains to "translate" what he heard into "arrows". I find it useful. Thanks a lot to this great teacher. ;)

By the way, Rajat C's answer on the same thread (a bit before Erick Gerber's answer) is imho really helpful as well.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-strumming-pattern-for-Oasis-Wonderwall

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Flying Z and kniah like this.
  11. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    No problem, here it is. This was just going through the Justin Guitar lesson on the song that was posted earlier. Please excuse my handwriting, haha!

[​IMG]

12. tortuga

tortuga Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Here
    Thanks to both of you!

13. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Wow! You did a fantastic job!

Listening to Oasis's record, I had the feeling that there were a few differences with Justin's version but honestly if one wants to play it "just like on the record", then it becomes so complicated that it takes the fun out of it imho.

Today I tried to write exactly what I was hearing while listening to the record and I ended up with too many notes (?!), so I'll go back to Justin's version...

Flying Z likes this.
  14. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Ok, I had a listen again and got rid of what I thought were extra beats. Here are the results of my attempt at transcribing what I was hearing for the first two bars (pics below). I'm not sure this is correct, though. Btw, sorry, the page isn't very clean. Hopefully you'll be able to read it.

I compared Oasis's studio version and Justin's version as best as I could. In Justin's version, there is one extra downwards strum which imho sounds like a pause in Oasis' studio version, so I put a * in front of it...

I should also mention that shorter arrows means that only some strings are hit (ex. only the bass strings), and thicker arrows means I heard what sounded like a harder strum (harder in the sense of accentuated). I don't know if what I wrote will make any sense to you but I really hope so.

Although the third and four bars are different, I haven't tried to write them down.

Keep up the good work everybody!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    kniah likes this.
  15. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Thanks for posting that! Great idea listening to the original recording. Justin did mention in his video that there was a section where he anticipates the change to D and has been playing it wrong for 20 or a years but has a hard time "unlearning" it. I wonder if that's the difference you're noticing?

I'm going to try to start playing along with the song and challenge myself to record something @Bassman96 style next weekend... Good or bad we'll see how it goes!

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  16. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    I had to slow down at 25 % then 50 % of the video's speed, and yet I'm not too sure I'm correct...
    It's impossible for me to play it as fast as on the record. Maybe some day....

This is more and more how I practice btw. I slow down the video as much as possible while trying to play along, then I increase the video's speed on Youtube or VLC. My problem is that my metronome, my mobile and my tiny computer are all quieter than my acoustic guitar so it's hard to keep the beat...

Recording then posting something must be a very interesting experience. If you have the technical means to do it, go for it!

On a side note, I've read that getting better at keeping the beat is linked to better ability to learn and speak languages. ;) Music is a universal language after all.

https://m.medicalxpress.com/news/2013-09-importance-link-ability-language-skills.html

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  17. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Tu as raison!

Huh, it is not often that I can put my high school French to use.

Have a great week everyone!

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  18. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    @SubSailer671 Bravo, c'est super! ;)

Inspired by @Bassman96 , I tried to record a few seconds of Wonderwall played really, really slowly, but when I press "record", I get really nervous (!). ;)
    Consequently the result is very cringeworthy. I don't play on time and I don't even always switch to G at the right moment, ha ha ha!
    Unfortunately I don't have time to try a second take as I must go back to work.... it's the thought that counts, right ?!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  19. mofojar

mofojar Squier-Nut

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    You did great!

I'm still too nervous to make and post videos of my playing here. I keep wanting to join the Riff Raff threads but then I just end up not recording anything. Maybe I just need to take the plunge and go for it!

BlueSquirrel and duzie like this.
  20. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice