Who wants to learn to play guitar with me?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Bassman96, Aug 10, 2019.

1. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    According to Ultimate Guitar Pro Tab (I am a subscriber) Desire is 107 bpm. Wonderwall is 87 bpm.

kniah and BlueSquirrel like this.
  2. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Desire isn't my favorite cup of tea either. How about Wonderwall since @BlueSquirrel is already working on it? I'd be pretty pumped to learn that one!

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  3. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
  4. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Guys and gals, I've realized that Wonderwall is a Stage 8 song. We're crazy, lol!

I hope @Bassman96 is ok... Has anybody heard of him lately?

kniah likes this.
  5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    He hasn't even been on the forum since the 31st of August. I just came to this thread to make sure I didn't miss anything from him because he used to be pretty active. Just disappearing without any notice seems odd. Also hoping he's ok.

kniah and duzie like this.
  6. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Likewise hoping @Bassman96 is doing ok. Didn't get a chance to start Wonderwall yet but went through the "forcing chord changes" Justin Guitar video an forced myself to practice it for 15 minutes. Was kind of fun in a way. Keep it up y'all!

7. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Had a fun hour long practice session today getting a little bit of time on all 3 of my guitars. Finished the Stage 4 videos and worked on the rhythm exercises plugged in with the burst Strat. Found the repetitive chords through the amp kind of fatiguing so switched to the acoustic. Only managed about 10 minutes on that before my fingers felt like they were going to fall off!!! Switched to the purple Strat and used that unplugged to work through the Wonderwall video which was a ton of fun! The strumming pattern is very challenging (I can fake strum the song by intuition/feel and it sounds ok but can't do the actual strumming pattern...that's going to take a lot of practice). Hope you all are getting your practice time in and having fun too!

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  8. SubSailer671

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I got about 20 minutes in today, but the mojo wasn't there. I felt like I was just going through the motions. As such, I did not progress in my blues course. I rehashed old lessons from the course (nothing new).

I haven't even looked at Wonderwall. What is unusual/difficult about the strumming pattern?

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  9. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    The sequence of downs and ups seems kind of random to me as a beginner. Perhaps a new song will be the ticket to getting the mojo back?

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  10. SubSailer671

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I think the most valuable strumming pattern to learn is the one in "Brown Eyed Girl." Many guitar teachers call it "The Most Popular Pattern in the World" or "The Universal Strumming Pattern." Here is a link to Griff Hamlin explaining it. I'm sure Justin Guitar has something similar.

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/most-popular-strum-in-the-world/

kniah and BlueSquirrel like this.
  11. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    IA
    IDK if anyone will find this helpful but I have used it for finding a progression I want before. I'll use it sometimes to find a good set of chords to use together and not necessarily in the same order as the chart. I think it's a pretty cool cheat sheet. It's not an entire collection of everything you could use but has allot of combinations you could use together.
    chord-progressions-in-major-keys.png

12. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thanks a lot Fadetoz! This really is an awesome chart for improvising!

I haven't started Stage 4 yet because I really want to be comfortable with Stage 3 chords first.
    I'm still on Wonderwall and Desire (purely because I don't like giving up, lol!). I practiced both songs for 20 min. each (even made some progress).
    Found an easier tutorial for Desire on Lee John Blackmore's Super Easy Guitar channel on Youtube (and its title is not misleading so thank you Mr Blackmore!).

If you guys want to pick another song, you're welcome!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    kniah likes this.
  13. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Sure! Pick one!

kniah likes this.
  14. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Awesome chart and I have mentioned this before and will again, the circle of 5ths chart is very helpful and so is
    "The Chord Wheel", awesome info.

th8B50YZEA.jpg

Jim Belaye and kniah like this.
  15. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Thanks for sharing the various references!

@BlueSquirrel nothing wrong with working at your own pace, better to get the technique and form right instead of rushing.

My comment at @SubSailer671 was hinting at learning a new song such as Wonderwall to get the mojo flowing again.

I'm focusing on Wonderwall right now as well as working through some of the strumming and rhythm exercises. I've never done any formal strumming work before so this is really useful for me.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  16. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    I've started practicing Stage 4 chords, it's good fun! I also did 15 min. of Wonderwall yesterday. I think I've nailed the strumming pattern, I just can't play it as fast as on the record.

kniah likes this.
  17. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    @Bassman96 shows was seen yesterday, so that's good news. I hope everything is ok. I enjoy his post's.

BlueSquirrel and kniah like this.
  18. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Thank god, what a great piece of news!

And thanks a lot to you @ strat_strummer for checking this!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    kniah and strat_strummer like this.
  19. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Drawing "little arrows" on a piece of paper in order to "write down" the strumming pattern could really help to visualize it better imho.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 1:23 PM
  20. tortuga

tortuga Squier-Meister

Apr 28, 2018
    Here
    BlueSquirrel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice