Who wants to learn to play guitar with me?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Bassman96, Aug 10, 2019.

1. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Correction I hope I am not...

SubSailer671 likes this.
  2. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Come on, @strat_strummer !

You're the only frog who can actually play the guitar, no one can replace you. You can't quit! ;)

(Sorry, I'm teasing you but that's for a worthy cause.)

3. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Meister

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    So, which would help more: a butt chewing or some positive encouragement?

strat_strummer likes this.
  4. SubSailer671

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    No practice for me tonight. I had to pick up the teenager from driving school, and the wife wanted me to take her out to dinner. Plus--I have to be at work 2 hours early tomorrow for a client meeting.

5. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    I go through stages like this once in awhile. I'm sure the lack of enthusiasm will pass soon. Regardless, thank you....:)
    I vote "both"...:D

Flying Z likes this.
  6. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    I actually picked up the guitar for about 5 minutes tonight but just not in the mood.

Flying Z likes this.
  7. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    I had a hard time getting into a good rhythm tonight too but pushed through it. Managed 30min of practicing the Stage 1-3 chords and going through some songs. I'm going to start Stage 4 just to keep it interesting. Was there any interest in doing a group song learn? Desire by U2?

Has anyone heard from our fearless leader @Bassman96 recently?

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  8. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    Im still working on CREAM sunshine of your love. Keep working y'all! I know i haven't been on here to post much but it's because i am focused on getting better.

It takes Discipline and playing through the pain, frustration and time available is what it takes. Together we can all get better!

BlueSquirrel and kniah like this.
  9. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    I got my 40min in tonight too. I'm starting to get complacent with playing the game stuff over and over again. Time to learn some new chords and songs!

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  10. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Almost a hour last night finding Triads, and was quite enjoyable. I guess we just need breaks once in awhile.

11. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Very true!
    I took a break from doing chord changes and yesterday I practiced Tracy Chapman's "Talkin 'bout a revolution", "Knockin on heaven's door" and the beginning of The Cure's "A forest" for one hour.
    Then today, I learnt the two first measures of Oasis's "Wonderwall". I spent 2 hours on it.
    Despite a hectic schedule at work, I was able to find a bit of time for playing. You've all been a big inspiration so thank you!

12. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
  13. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    I haven't seen him here for a several days now.

14. SubSailer671

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Bassman96 was last seen:

Saturday at 12:00 PM

15. SubSailer671

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    Sigh.

Life has me beaten down, no guitar for three days now. But--it is the weekend, and I'm certain to get some time in.

Currently, I'm working on bass looping in the Texas Shuffle lesson. Sort of like SRV's "Pride and Joy." I'm struggling a bit with it. To play it right you must be sloppy. Only one note is sounded clear, while all the others are raked while muted with other fingers. Then a sort of half-heated strum of open strings. Oh, and it is played pretty fast too.

The problem is that I have been focusing on playing cleanly; making clean chords and striking the strings only where and when I want. That is *not* this song, and it is hard for me to be that sloppy even on purpose.

16. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    I played while watching the first half of the Boise State vs. Marshall game. Playing all the triads in the key of A.

BlueSquirrel and SubSailer671 like this.
  17. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    I re-watched the Steve Stine soloing tutorial again and tried some "meandering" and making some mental connections to notes and scales. Also started learning the 7th chords. TGIF and looking forward to lots of guitar-ing this weekend. BTW, when life gets busy leave the guitar out and treat yourself to 5 minutes. I now have a guitar that's always out on the stand ready to go whenever I have a free minute.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  18. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    @ kniah I don't know what you call a "group song learn". I definitely gave a shot at Desire, but it's really up to you to try it. You may or may not like that song. In fact, I think that it's cool that nothing is mandatory in our group...

I gather we pretty much agreed to follow Justin's guitar beginners course's stages (chords and exercises), but not necessarily one particular song (at the moment I'm in love with Wonderwall again, lol)... I'm happy cos' I've managed to play using a metronome and tapping my foot, lol.

I like the fact that not everyone on the group follows Justin's method (it can be Rocksmith or Steve Stine's blues lesson or another one), however it's important that everyone practice and report on their efforts / progress. I feel that it is what really keep us going. It's motivating to see what everyone is learning / attempting. The songs we learn depend so much on each person's level, though....

Perhaps you might get bored with beginners songs, given that you're more advanced...

If you're ready to start stage 4, I'll follow you. What's on the menu of stage 4, by the way?

I already practiced for half an hour this afternoon (chords changes, changing rythm, then Tracy Chapman, Desire and Wonderwall...). played in front of the tv like strat_strummer, but turned the sound of the tv off to listen to a metronome. ;)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    kniah and strat_strummer like this.
  19. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    BlueSquirrel likes this.
  20. SubSailer671

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice