Who wants to learn to play guitar with me?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Bassman96, Aug 10, 2019.

1. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    Haha, we should decide on a "final exam" challenge...I'd be up for Desire by U2.

BTW, thanks for the kind words regarding my friend's band Friday Dinner. I think they've been practicing as a band for only the last 2 or so years (the drummer is only 8 and the guitarist 12!). They've gotten way better over the last year once they started doing live shows.

I had a rest day yesterday (too pooped to jam) but made up for it today with a 2 hour jam session with co-workers. There were only 4 of us tonight: a singer, a bassist, a drummer, and yours truly faking it on the guitar. We simplified the guitar parts and stumbled our way through Kryptonite, Hey Jealousy , My Own Worst Enemy, I Love Rock 'n Roll, Jenny Jenny 867-5309, Keep Your Hands to Yourself, Smells Like Teen Spirit, and some Tom Petty. We also did some free form jams where I tried to implement some of the soloing tricks from the videos that were posted in this thread but alas, that was still a bit beyond my abilities. My hand was toast afterwards but it was a blast!!! One of the best things I've done for my playing is overcoming my shyness and self-consciousness to show up and jam with others. Do it if you ever have the opportunity!

BlueSquirrel and Flying Z like this.
  2. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Yep he is ready to go now. Even got some Glamour shots done lol. New bridge and tuners went in last night.

20190822_155907_HDR.jpg 20190822_155917_HDR.jpg 20190822_155929.jpg

3. kniah

kniah Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2019
    Waltham, MA
    BlueSquirrel, Flying Z and Bassman96 like this.
  4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
  5. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    Man thats fantastic playin time! Keep rockin!

BlueSquirrel, kniah and Bassman96 like this.
  6. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    BlueSquirrel, kniah and Bassman96 like this.
  7. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Finally got my time in on an actual practice session last night. I am feeling pretty good about the phase 2 chords so seeing that this is the end of week 2 I might take a peek at phase 3 tonight or tomorrow. I don't think I made it to phase 3 last time around so this is an exciting milestone!

Good work this week everyone! We are nearly halfway to creating a habit out of this (they say it takes 6 weeks to create a habit) ;)

Screenshot_2019-08-23-08-23-16.png

Flying Z and BlueSquirrel like this.
  8. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Great! I think there is C and G at Stage 2 (and another chord which I don't remember). With G, C, E and D, you can play Tracy Chapman's " Talkin 'bout a revolution" (only the C and the G requires the use of the ring finger and the pinky on the B and high E strings to complete the chord. I think that sort of C is called "Cadd9"...). It's a lovely song imho. I'll post the link to a video.

@SoleilSF How are you doing?

PS I won't be able to practice/post much the following days as I'll be away and guitar less (unless I try air guitar?!).
    Anyway, keep up the good work, you all! ;)

Oh, and before I forget, here is another way of playing Desire. This way, it might be easier to nail the rythm (it's on the "Super Easy Channel"):

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Flying Z and Bassman96 like this.
  9. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  10. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Here's a tutorial for Tracy Chapman' s "Talkin' 'bout a revolution". If some of you want to try it, the practice we have put in before to transition from E to D is really going to pay off imho.

Flying Z and strat_strummer like this.
  11. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Copperhead Road by Steve Earle, fun and easy song to play.

D, G, C

12. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Nice celtic-yet-bluesy vibe!

Flying Z and strat_strummer like this.
  13. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    Still stuck, missing some little things too make it. Going on about 4hrs (or more) in the last 2 day.....I will get this damnit! :mad:

14. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA

BlueSquirrel and strat_strummer like this.
  15. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Seeing this (picture below) at the place where I'm starting today, I thought I was going to be able to practice against all odds.

Alas, these strats have been nailed to the wall. Ha ha ha!

Some of these bear bands's names. There's a tribute to The Libertines and another one to Foo Fighters. ;)

Attached Files:

16. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Alright lets see .

Friday I put in a couple hours practice on bass after finding some of my old music online. I had fun trying to remember how I played it all lol. I also jammed on the guitar with my kid with his guitar. It was a bunch of noise really but I did do a bunch of chord changes within the chaos of his "playing".

I took yesterday off to get some work done around the house that needed doing and today I am starting phase 3 of the JGBC. Y'all have fun and keep it up!

17. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Just started phase 3 of stage 1 amd wow... G is a *****!! Now I know why my dad used the "cheater fingering" as he calls it. Thumb over on 3rd fret E6 muting A and first finger on 3rd fret E1 lol. I know some of you more exerianced folk know the fingering I'm talking about.

I am going to do my best to learn it the correct way though.

Good news is.... This is the last of the White stage. The next moves to yellow and 7ths.

18. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Would you have picture for that "cheater fingering"? I can't really visualize it.

19. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Yep... Like this...

20190825_141941_HDR.jpg

He would always remark how he was playing G "wrong but it sounds fine and it's how my teacher taught me". My older brother plays it that way too now that I think of it. Probably learned it from dad.

Flying Z likes this.
  20. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    The cool thing is when the 2 fingerings are played back to back there isn't any noticable (to my ears atleast) difference. They sound identical.

BlueSquirrel and Flying Z like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice