Who wants to learn to play guitar with me?

Discussion in 'Music, Theory, Tab and Such' started by Bassman96, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    So here is my thought.... Just got a guitar finally. I have owned them before but never really gave learning to play them an honest effort. Being a bass player a lot of 6 string mechanics are pretty foreign to me (chords, pics etc).

I know myself pretty well and if I am left to my own devices I will slack off, try to skip ahead or stop actually trying all together unless there is a bit of accountability involved in the process. I know I am not alone in this and I also know I am not the only member here who actually can't play these instruments we own (some in abundance @Eddie ).

So my idea is to go through the beginner guitar playlist from Justin Guitar Lessons on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCAAA4629624F20D8

I think it would be safe to skip all the very first videos on the parts of a guitar and how to tune it etc (unless you need those) and start with the beginning 3 chords D,A and E and the one minute changes exercise. Then each post a 1 min video of their 1 minute changes. Then 7 days later another 1 minute change video etc. Then as a group we move to the next few videos when we are all feeling good with the last set (or something along those lines). All while pushing each other to actually put in the daily practice time and keep each other accountable to the process.

Who is with me? I'll get a 1 min video up sometime today. I have been working on my changes all morning and am excited to actually do this finally!

2. Flying Z

Flying Z Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2019
    Mobile AL, USA
    Good luck @bassman! I will be following your journey.

I'll stick to my rocksmith 1hr a day (or more).

Eventually i will need to chang my learning style but i just enjoy the music and it really pushes me.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

You'll probably do very well with your plan. There's a ton of good instruction on YouTube now. I've gotten a lot from it myself.

4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    That's cool, we are never to old to learn a new trick. Justin Guitar is a great starting point.

5. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Alright well here is my week 1 day 1 video with the D,A and E chords. Slightly out of tune due to the new strings still stretching (I swear I tuned it just a few mins ago!).

Anyhoo.... Someone join in with me here! I will go solo if need be but would be nice to have a workout partner so to speak!

Paul1985, Ducerro, fadetoz and 13 others like this.
  6. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Sounds like you are off to a great start Bman.

7. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Nice plan @Bassman96. Justin is a great teacher. I'm sure that if you practice regularly, you will get where you want to be.

8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

You have the chords to a slew of great songs. Sympathy for the devil has a lot of E - D - A - E.

9. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Right on. I'll have to try that one out and fold it into my practice routine for a bit of fun amongst the monotony of practicing chords lol.

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I highly recommend practicing chords in patterns that make for fun playing. Motivation is crucial!

11. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Dude, that’s a great idea. I am leaving on vacation tomorrow, but when I get back, I’ll join you. I have been playing forever, and can play a lot of stuff, but I’ve never really gone through learning stuff properly. Sounds like fun. And I like the accountability part of it as well.

12. oneLOCOman

oneLOCOman Squier-holic

Oct 2, 2018
    Missouri
    Right on Bassmnan. I am sure someone will join you in a bit.

13. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    way to go, @Bassman96 !!

Justin is a really cool way to learn a Buch of songs. you might also want to check out Marty Schwartz and the folks @ Mhalo :)

14. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Wait what ? We need to tune these guitars ?

15. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    So I have heard... Could be a bunch of hooey though ;)

16. strat_strummer

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    If you don't already use a metronome, I highly recommend using one.

17. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    It's a great idea and I wanna try but at the moment the internet connexion isn't good and I don't have a working computer so I don't know if I'd manage to post videos.

I'm not even sure how the forum works.
    Do you have to find a place to host the videos first and then you can post a link to it on the forum or is it possible to record with a phone and post on the forum with said phone?

18. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Even if you can't post videos you are welcome and encouraged to participate! Just be honest with your practice routine and report in with how your exercises are going each week.

19. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    Europe
    Good idea.
    Ok, I think I found Justin's video on A, D and E. Is that the one?

If that is, it's funny! Guess what, Justin doesn't play the A the way it's taught in my country (!). Here people use the "three fingers in a line" approach. I've already briefly tried playing it like Justin but my teacher was not happy, so I went back to the "normal" way, lol. I'm a beginner but I already need to retrain, ha ha!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  20. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    The ones I am watching are in the playlist I linked above. They start around video 9 or 10 I think (he spends the first bunch of videos talking about the guitar its self and how to tune, string etc then how to read tabs and such)

He has 3 separate videos each for 1 specific chord starting with the D chord. Then the A and he does say it's slightly different from how some are taught but also explains why he feels this is a good way to learn it due to the anchor finger involved. Then another video for the E chord. Then he has a video for chord changing between the 3 and another explaining what the 1 minute exercise is about and how to do that and why.

If you can't find it this is the first few videos I am talking about..

https://youtu.be/qXK_If0QzDM

Then I have also found this that goes along well with these lessons as a way to practice the chords in song form to make it a bit more fun like Jim suggested.

https://youtu.be/GYxw31-JYqg

Glad to have another along for the ride! Post videos when you are able but don't stress over it but lets shoot for minimum of 15 mins a day practicing something. I'll hold you to it if you do as well ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice