Who has an Affinity Tele and loves it?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by roba03, Sep 22, 2019.

1. roba03

roba03 Squier-holic

Oct 25, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I finally got around to giving the gal the upgrades she was always meant to have. I ordered an Oak Grigsby 3 way switch at least a month ago and finally dropped her in tonight. Followed that up with a set of Elixir polyweb 10s and what a smoke show. I LOVE THIS GUITAR! Looks great, sounds great and completely sits on par with much more expensive instruments in my herd.
    30EEFFA4-E061-4E72-A67A-7A3AD1AAFCAD.jpeg

2. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Albert King

mb doug likes this.
  3. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    There are two ways to look at my attempts to check out Affinity's. Either I have horrible luck, super fantastic luck or a combination of both. My attempts to check our usual Affinity's both Tele & Strat. Remarkably similar stories, but since this is a Tel thread I do it.

I had a couple Teles. A Bullet FSR with Retrotrons neck & bridge and it was fantastic sounding. One of very,very few guitars that sounded good at the bridge. Also a standard with aftermarket pickups. I gave the standard to my son. An Affinity popped up on CL near where I lived in Alabama at a great price. I arranged a meet with the wife who was selling the husbands guitar, with his permission. We met, it was a usual black Affinity but appeared a bit 'off', starting with what appeared to be a full size body.. Yako strikes again. It was an unmolested, stock YN7. I could not wait to pay her fast enough, even though I did negotiate an additional $20 off. Good routing, so I just have a chrome surround around the neck pickup. No pickguard.

Something similar happened when I went to an area pawn shop to get an Affinity Strat. The guitar that started my side trip up to NC heaven.

Bad pic but it's the only one I have at the moment.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    roba03, Tconroy and mb doug like this.
  4. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    Thanks to the weather being so nice yesterday I spent all day working in the yard and also 2 hours going to 2 stores that said they had my grandsons atv in stock but didnt. So I never got to go try anything out. BUT tomorrow I am off work and will be there when they open! :) the good thing is there wont be anybody in the store to distract me which is easily done.:)

roba03 likes this.
  5. roba03

roba03 Squier-holic

Oct 25, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I had A YN run Stratocaster that to this day remains my all time favorite squier Strat hands down. Even above my Japanese made Squier Strat. The friend I got her from bought her back when I moved to California several years ago. But we often deal in gear so maybe there’s a chance she returns at some point. I can only imagine a YN Tele has got to be as good!

jefffam and Rat cam 68 like this.
  6. Tconroy

Tconroy Squier-Nut

Sep 11, 2015
    kansas city mo
    well I played a tabacco sunburst tele affinity and a red and black standard. The affinity played better and that color was not the great looking. The standard color I did not like and was set up horribly. The affinity actually sounded better. both must have been there a while because I have never seen this color of affinity in stores. I think I will go to G.C. and try the butterscotch blond affinity. Hoping they have a new one in the box. Both guitars had very rough frets. Very scratchy when bending. Nothing a good polish wouldnt fix. I will probably end up with the butterscotch. I am going on my lunch break because I am only 5 minutes away from G.C. so will see what happens.

roba03 likes this.
  7. Jeffery Joseph

Jeffery Joseph Squier Talker

Feb 24, 2018
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    I LOVE the Squier Affinity Telecasters most of all Squier models......no lie! I’ve owned 2 standard teles, had a 60’s CV tele pass through my hands for a weekend, and owned 2 different Bullets. My 2016 black Affinity with maple fretboard is my keeper. I love the top loader style. Love the thinner body and lighter weight. Love the Alder body. The pick ups are exactly what I want.....plenty of bite and sweet neck pick up.
    And.....it stays in tune like a champ! My Tele is just a very special guitar, and now my #1 and only guitar. (If I don’t love a guitar I don’t keep it.....,I have to bond with it, and my Affinity is my absolute favorite!)
    BTW......I’ve also owned a MIM Tele (2016.....liked but didn’t love, and a MIM 2003 strat......similar). All have been sold/traded.
    I also need to figure how to post pics of my Tele.....pics coming hopefully soon.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice