Who has an Affinity Tele and loves it?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by roba03, Sep 22, 2019.

1. roba03

roba03 Squier-holic

Oct 25, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Just like the title says. Might be picking up one early tomorrow morning with a Peavey Rage amp for $80 if all goes to plan. Don’t really need one but I’ve also never owned a Squier Tele. All I have to go on are these two pics. What say you good people? Who’s got love for an Affinity Tele?
    ACC22876-348D-447C-AA08-925EE547CD17.jpeg
    8F37DA38-9F16-4F06-B39B-47D3B3C4DA74.jpeg

2. Guitar Cat

Guitar Cat Squier-Meister

Jul 29, 2018
    Spring Lake Hts, NJ
    Looks like a nice deal. You're gonna love that Tele. They are the "cat's pajamas" on this site.
    I had bought two Teles a year apart and both had to be returned because of tuner issues and some sloppy construction. I know that's rare but probably Karma has it in for me !!!:D

But I haven't given up. I have a back order on a Squier Bullet HT that I'm sure is going to work out. I recently did a set up on my friends 2005 and it played like a dream. I couldn't resist a 15% off sale on one at Music & Arts so I ordered a Fiesta Red which should come in 3 - 4 weeks.

Enjoy yours!

3. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    I have 3! Quite literally, they are my go to guitars. Can't seem to find pix of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dbrian66, Kenneth Mountain and roba03 like this.
  4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    They are nice guitars .

I just don't like the narrow nut width on them.

:eek::eek::eek: $80 for that combo though is a smoking deal !

I'd get it ,flip the amp & neck , then find me a nice CV neck & tuners for it ;)

5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My introduction to Squier guitars was with an Affinity Tele. I owned a Fender at the time. Bought the Affinity as stand candy for its butterscotch color. But it amazed me.

In the end I sold the Fender.

Still have it. Still play it. Although I did in time get another, an American-made, Fender.

"Great" guitars these are not. But they have something. True Tele vibe. The ultimate beaters.

-don

Tele and Pignose.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  6. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Once upon a time, I saw an Affinity Tele on Guitar Center's used site. Could it be that the manufacturer's stickers were still on it? Yes. And it came with a case? Yes! And it was $130? Hell Yeah!!

It didn't take too long to arrive (shipped from Baltimore-ish). The stickers were indeed on the guitar and so was the protective plastic film. It didn't arrive with a case, but I had saved the screen image and sent it to GC, willing to accept a partial refund. Instead, they sent me a NEW Roadrunner polyfoam case!

The guitar has the Tele Twang. The ceramic pickups are a little too shrill for me, so I will eventually get around to installing the Fender Tex Mex set that's been on the workbench for a long time. I did take off the pick guard (fortunately there was not wiring rout) and add a pickup ring.

And they all lived happily ever after. The end.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Atlen, Rat cam 68, mb doug and 6 others like this.
  7. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I got a "player pack" 2012 Affinity Tele from a forum member here. I installed new Fender pickups in it. It played and sounded fantastic. String through body design and 41.8 mm nut... made in Indonesia. I ended up giving the guitar to my oldest son, who plays. He loves it.

20190829_155627.jpg

Rat cam 68, mb doug, dbrian66 and 4 others like this.
  8. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have one somewhere, not seen or played it in a long time, I'll add a pic later when I get home.

9. roba03

roba03 Squier-holic

Oct 25, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    It was real! To my surprise it came with the guitar cable, soft case and a new set of GHS boomers. She said she played it 4 times since new. Really looks like it. All I need to do is knock some dust off, re-string her and away we go!
    7A2A1B18-EC17-4F09-B160-2AA7F0AE3AB5.jpeg AC111DD2-A3E4-404C-B6B7-5F63E93BB527.jpeg 36007901-F89F-408D-9C4D-A9D0D5668959.jpeg F02F1F52-09ED-48E3-B2AF-3116B436597C.jpeg

Atlen, -r3-, Mr Bones and 11 others like this.
  10. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    That was a great deal!

11. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Here she Is, was hiding away in a guitar case at the back of the room.. "the Goose". 20190923_160830.jpg

12. roba03

roba03 Squier-holic

Oct 25, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I like that last part “the ultimate beaters”. I could see making some slight changes and it being a pretty solid little guitar. Heck I could sell the amp and probably be in the whole thing for like $50. Not bad considering the plastic is still on the output jack.

13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  14. roba03

roba03 Squier-holic

Oct 25, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks fattboyzz! I’m on vacation for a week so this a good start to my trip. Plus I have something to keep me entertained should I get any down time.

15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    IMG_20190524_042116.JPG The body part of my Tele is Affinity .

I love the thinner Alder body in butterscotch blonde .

The neck is a CV that's as nice or nicer than any neck I've ever played !

Pups are Fender vintage 64 :)

It's a wonderful playing & sounding Tele !

Rat cam 68, mb doug, Best1989 and 5 others like this.
  16. roba03

roba03 Squier-holic

Oct 25, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Dang you’ve really done that one up! Did you also upgrade the switch? I am thinking an Oak Grigsby would feel real nice.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Yes . It has the OG :)

18. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Congrats ! I had that exact same one - a little yellower though !

dbrian66 and roba03 like this.
  19. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My introduction into the wonderful world of Teles was with just such a guitar. That way before Fenders became things of value or the company seeing the need to make cheaper versions. That guitar was a beater for me from days 1. It was a fifties something Fender Tele found by a friend as a virtual throw away -- body stripped of finish, no neck pup, no guard.

I put on a neck pup from a Gretsch White Falcon that had literally burned up in a club fire, added a black pickguard, a used it as a total beater.

That was guitar I took when I moved to distant Boston on my 'cycle in `68. Carried it everywhere, rain, snow or shine. And it never failed me.

Remembrances of that guitar is what made me buy the Affinity -- and to make some changes to it. Yes, including for a time a Filtertron style PUP.

Here's that ol' Fender ready to travel -- the day I moved away from my parent's home for the first (and last) time. April, 1968

Moving to Boston - April 9, 1968.jpg

The Affinity to this day carries that guitar's spirit. A man, a duffle bag of duds, and a Tele. What else would one need to start a new life? :D

20. roba03

roba03 Squier-holic

Oct 25, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Love it!!! That’s the story and moment in time I think most men nostalgically pine for. At times myself included. Leaving home for the first and last time and seeing what you can do on your own. Thanks for sharing Don.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    SquierTap, duceditor, mofojar and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice