Which Strat has a full size body ?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by SpitfireCWII, Apr 29, 2011.

1. SpitfireCWII

SpitfireCWII Squier Talker

Hi there, was just curious, which Squier Strats have full size strat bodies in their current line up ? Do the bullets or affinities ? Or is it VM and CV that only have the full size body.

2. spanker63

spanker63 Squier-holic

The SE has a full size body. The one I have has a pretty nice neck as well. You can find them pretty cheap on craig's list or guitar center used.

3. pictoratus

pictoratus Squier-Nut

Bullets and Affinities have smaller (thinner) bodies, although not sure about the older ones.

The higher end Squiers have full size bodies, along with the SE (Special Edition)

4. squierHSSfan

squierHSSfan Squier-Meister

I'm not noticing a whole lot of difference in the bodies between my Bullet and Standard....the Bullet body should be thinner, right?

5. tecladista

tecladista Squier Talker

I have an Obey Graphic Stratocaster Collage (Headstock say Standard) And then i have an American Special Stratocaster HSS Sunburst.. and both are the same contour body, weight, and 70s headstock... i swear :D

6. Sparkfire

Sparkfire Squier-holic

Measure the body. If the thickness at the horn is 1.75 inches then it is a full size body. Most bullets and Affinities are below that. The cheapest full size body you will find is the SE. The SE is part of a strat-pac which comes with the little cheap 10 watt Squier Amp. Wonderful full size for modding. Anything that says "standard" on the headstock is full size. The SE doesn't say SE on the headstock, you just have to measure it. The Deluxe is full size but it doesn't have Deluxe written on it either. Measure is the only way to know for sure. People can make up a waterslide so just depend on your rule or a caliper. Real reason you need the full thickness is so the guitar will accept a full size tremolo block. If the body isn't full size the bottom of the block will stand out the back of the body. I have a bullet hardtail and it is only 1.50 thick. That is 1/4 thinner than my Deluxe. Also 3 1/2 pounds lighter. I love both of them but my bullet is a lot easier on my shoulder. Of course, the Deluxe is a lot more expensive and side by side it is easy to see why. Everything today is top quality as far as I can tell. Just measure it! Hope my rambling helped.

7. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Bullets w/trem are normally around 1-5/8" (41mm) where the SE, Standard, Deluxe, VM and CV are all normally 1-3/4" (44.5mm). The Affinity and the pre-2008 hard tail Bullet are 1-1/2" (38mm).

8. StormJH1

StormJH1 Squier-Meister

I was thrown for a loop a little bit by a post in another thread, which suggested that "some" SE's are not full size. Has anyone ever encountered an SE that was NOT 1.75" thick?

I recently got an SE to do a bunch of mods on, because I had done a mod on a 1996 MIC Squier Bullet, but chose not to do a GFS steel trem block because I had heard that Bullets and Affinitys are smaller.

Interestingly enough, I just grabbed a ruler and measured the SE, and it does look to be exactly 1.75" at the thickest parts (curve where it rests on your leg, etc.). Interestingly enough, the '96 Bullet is also the same 1.75". Again, this is not with a caliper, so it's not exact. But they look to be the same. They are shaped differently in other areas (such as where it tapers inward near the armpit), and the SE does feel "heavier", but that could be due to the type of wood (agathis?) or the thicker neck.

I've certainly picked up Affinity Squiers at Guitar Center that were dramatically thinner than either of my two Squiers, so I know there are thinner Squiers. But is it possible to have a full-size Bullet? And is there a such thing as a non-full-size SE?

Thanks, I have a GFS trem with full steel block coming in a week or so, so I'll be trying it out and just making the best out of however it turns out.

9. mikm

mikm Squier-holic

Any SE model from any year I've seen is full size. There are some bullets as well as affinities from earlier years that are full size. I don't have the exact models or years, country of origins etc. but I'm sure people on this forum can help with that.

10. StormJH1

StormJH1 Squier-Meister

That's pretty much what I thought, word for word. I would not have been surprised if the Bullet was less than full-size, but it may be. SE's, which is the one that comes in the box set with the crappy amp, were always full-size, or so I thought. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean all Strat components will fit on there. I'll just have to wait and see, and probably do some routing/sanding.

For example, I gutted the thing today and was not-so-pleased to find that it has something like a H-S-S cutout instead of the "swimming pool" I had on my Bullet:

[​IMG]

I'm installing H-H pickups, so I'm almost certainly going to have to lose some of that wood that just out. Not the end of the world - it should be pretty easy to get in there with a Dremel and sand away.

Will the GFS trem block fit? Who knows until I try, but having removed the old one, it's pretty large on its own (though made out of crappy pot metal), and there were a few centimeters left in there to spare below the trem cover:

[​IMG]

11. Tectonix

Tectonix Squier Talker

I'm glad to know what the initials SE stand for. Is there any way to differentiate down the road if a full size Strat was from a Strat-pack or a guitar that was purchased originally as a stand alone?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  12. 1935streetrod

1935streetrod Squier-holic

13. mikm

mikm Squier-holic

Tectonix; To help narrow down your question, A SE will have the smaller headstock than a Squier Standard. However there is always the Squier Deluxe but that will have a 22 fret neck, (so does the Standard). Now the CV will have full size body and 21 fret neck like the SE. It just goes on and on with generalizing and different model exceptions! StormJH1; The GFS trem should fit the SE size wize, I'm not sure about the screw holes lining up.

14. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

I've never seen an SE that wasn't 1-3/4" +/- basically finish thickness.

15. mikm

mikm Squier-holic

Yes softwarejanitor; Me to. I don't think I've ever seen a SE that was less than 1.75". Being what I consider to be full size in body thickness for a strat.