which one?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by jamesgpobog, May 22, 2020.

1. jamesgpobog

jamesgpobog Squier-Meister

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    Wood I'm gluing up for my attempt at making a tele (this is not the battleship project). Redwood with walnut stringers. You are looking at 4 pieces of redwood, the center stringer is glued in place already.

This...

this.jpg

Or this
    that.jpg

2. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I like the three stringers better, remember Redwood is very soft I don’t recommend it for a top load telecaster bridge but for a string through no problem

3. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I'm with corn. The three is pretty nice.

4. jamesgpobog

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    No top load even if long screws are used?

dbrian66 and MrYeats like this.
  5. MI redneck

MI redneck Squier-Meister

May 7, 2020
    MI
    When torn between two, the answer is always both.

Personally, I like the first.

Ultimately, follow your heart/taste, we're just here to tell you how great it looks when it's finished. ;)

6. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    @corn Knows what he is talking about and I think you can do a top load if you use FAT enough screws that are lengthy. I would put a drop or two of glue in each screw hole, but that would make it diffucult to remove and be more permanent... The best idea is the string thru. Getting the holes aligned perfectly is essential or it will look funny. That is not as easy as it looks especially without a drill press for good, straight holes...Or maybe glue in a block of maple or walnut, ash, alder, etc... where the bridge will be mounted, but that would make tha back side look funny.

jamesgpobog, MI redneck and dbrian66 like this.
  7. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-Nut

Jul 4, 2019
    Ohio, United States
    I'm not a luthier, and I have never built a guitar. @corn has built many, and I would trust his suggestion. String through sounds best.

From a woodworking perspective, @MrYeats idea of gluing in a block of hardwood to support a top load bridge sounds interesting. You could use your router to cut the hole (don't have to go all the way through, so the back still looks clean), then rough cut and hand carve the insert hardwood to make a tight fit. Run it through the planar to get it the same height after the wood glue cures.

MrYeats and jamesgpobog like this.
  8. Matt Shevell

Matt Shevell Squier-Nut

Feb 5, 2018
    New York
    Both look good
    Keep us updated!

MI redneck likes this.
  9. guitalias

guitalias Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    The x3 stringers. How about a feature shaped walnut mounting block for the bridge?

jamesgpobog likes this.
  10. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    The second picture with more seams.

11. Forum Guest

Forum Guest Squier-Meister

Jan 22, 2019
    Ohio
    Both pics look great, and I don’t think you could go wrong with either. That said, I think the walnut will really pop a lot more on the finished body if you go with 3 stringers.

12. jamesgpobog

Feb 18, 2020
    SoCal
    I like the idea, but we're quickly passing my skill set...

13. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    What are the possibilities of running a strip as wide as the bridge down the middle to the bridge area from the neck area, leaving the entire lower bout all redwood and "wings" on the side all redwood.
    Could be any hardwood including mahogany....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice