Which of these practice amps would you choose for a Fender Squier P-Bass?

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by Oldguitarguy, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    I have a Fender Squier P-Bass and am trying to pick up the bass. I have a Fender Rumble 15 and a Crate BT10. Which one should I keep to use with the P-Bass? I know I can listen and decide for myself but I did that already and would like some input from some bass experts. Not planning to gig - just wanna mess with the bass and maybe loop some stuff to play with the guitar. Thoughts? EEA05165-CA42-47E6-8B02-57896E1B3F24.jpeg 8C79B370-00CF-48EA-AE1C-865A8C025009.jpeg

2. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Me personally would keep the fender. I have never liked crate bass amps. I had 2 blow on me back in the late 90s early 2000s and haven't touched them since. My favorite around the house amps are the small ampeg combos.

Caddy, dbrian66, Oldguitarguy and 2 others like this.
  3. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Thanks. Appreciate your expertise. The Fender is a little louder. Am leaning in that direction.

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Bassman96

Bassman96 Squier-holic

Nov 13, 2010
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I would. I am admittedly biased against Crate but I have read good things about those Rumbles. I have almost pulled the trigger on one a few times but that haunting feeling of spending money I have no business spending has always stopped me lol.

5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

rumble - although not a BASS player I have nothing but love for rumbles !

6. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    ditto, I have a Rumble 75 and it is a sweet bass amp for the price

7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Fender. If the choice is ever between more watts and less watts, especially if the options being considered are for a bass amp as Fender vs Crate respectively, I would take the more watts.

8. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    Fender rumbles are all I have at the moment and I’m perfectly happy with that. :D

9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I pretty much agree with Bassman96. I played local gigs for years and years as a bassist until I sort of "retired" a couple years back due to my age and overall crankiness. I've played through many bass amps and I never played through a Crate I liked. I wasn't impressed with the first generation of the Fender Rumble series but the amps have made amazing strides since then I think. But I don't know how old that Rumble is. Both amps have 8-inch speakers but the Fender has more watts which I think should help a little, especially if you like a clean, undistorted sound.

10. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    I'm in the Fender camp here as well -- I cannot speak to the Crate, but I know several bass players who have a Rumble - they are nice amps!

11. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Looks unanimous. Keeping the Fender, selling the Crate. My inclination, so glad the experts agree! Thanks all.

12. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
  13. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Glad you went with the Fender, the way nature intended. The RCA jacks are nice and it's a solid amp. Nothing against the Crate per se, i'd def go Fender as 1st choice

14. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    Nothing wrong with the Rumble series at all, especially when you're starting out. My first amp was a little rumble 15 like yours, I upgraded to a rumble 60 after a couple of years and spent some time playing with my roomate's rumble 100. All were very solid amps for my playing level at those times.

You've made a wise decision. Now go practice chord shapes and arpeggios.

15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I see you made your choice .

I agree as well ;)

16. leekirkham

leekirkham Squier-Meister

Feb 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
  17. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    As stated, Rumble! If you’re looking for an upgrade down the line, the new rumbles sound even better. Also, small acoustic brand bass amps, like the b20, sound really good and can get picked up used for next to nothing.

18. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier Talker

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Fender Fender Fender Fender

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  19. totheMax

totheMax Squier-holic

Jan 30, 2011
    Chesapeake Bay, MD
    See if you can stash a few bucks and pick up one of the new Fender Rumble 40's (I use mine at band practice and it holds it's own with a 5 piece band). You can't beat the sound and how light they are... they are built like tanks. The only negative I've found is that if the drive channel is active, the built in DI is too noisy to run through a PA. Fender has knocked it out of the park with this series. The 100w will probably support small gigs.

Kenneth Mountain, sqrat51 and Gunny like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice