When your favorite guitar is your cheapest guitar...

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by RegularJim, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Dr. Squier

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    eddie was really just asking about a HWY 1 strat spec's / quality - but what you said is good ! He's watching a overpriced one on eBay - he really does have the worst case of GAS I have ever witnessed !

Las Palmas Norte, Davey and ElRey67 like this.
  2. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    approx value ?

ElRey67 likes this.
  3. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    It’s actually changed slightly since then:
    B41128C8-9FB6-46EF-A49D-F68D3D757C7E.jpeg

It’s amazing my 12 AM (half in the bag) photos, look better than my completely sober afternoon w/sunlight Coming in the windows photos.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Treynor, Rat cam 68, daan and 4 others like this.
  4. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    I assumed you knew since you equated it's price to that of a decent car. My post was just a joke. But maybe I didn't understand your post, which is entirely possible :)
    I've seen them range in asking price from $2,500 to $12,000

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  5. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    No - I really don't know much about Les Pauls ?

ElRey67 likes this.
  6. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I bought a $80 Squier to " save the wear on the vintage frets" of my aging Strat, which actually are quite worn, but anyway sorted the Bullet and it gets 80% play time now, no idea why .......just seems to be I got a good one and it's great.

Kenneth Mountain and Rat cam 68 like this.
  7. daan

daan Squier-Nut

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    The friend of mine with the crazy gear, I asked him how much he paid for his LP. He said he had gone to multiple stores in several cities (Dave’s in La Crosse, CME in Chicago, etc) but he ended up ordering his from the GC in Edina (its apparently a “Elite Store”, meaning they get the top end stuff nobody else in MN gets) He traded a 60’s Rick 12-er, a tweed Fender amp of some sort and a bunch of $... (I didn’t get an actual number, but he is a Dr, with no kids so he can afford it) The funny part is, he doesn’t even change his own strings, so he asks me about my project stuff all the time, anything I own is worth 1/100th if his gear, but he acts just as interested in it as his $$$$ stuff. So it doesn’t matter what the price tag on your gear says, it’s how you feel about it that matters!

ElRey67 and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Recent aquisition, $100. It took 5 hrs to clean, fix and set up but I can't seem to put it down 1523834238628.jpg

Shine, brians, ElRey67 and 2 others like this.
  9. Most of mine are cheap. Made the necessary changes and upgrades on the ones that needed it. Favorites are like kids ... pick one? ... No.
    Cheers, Barrie.

10. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Not quite my cheapest (my $56 Sawtooth Tele and $55 Epi Jr. take that honor). Both bought new, BTW.

But the SX STL-50 Tele I bought new for $109 about 12 years ago is my favorite electric. Came with a very orange tinted neck which I was able to de-orange with CitriStrip. Put in CTS pots, Orange Drop cap, Fender three-way switch, Switchcraft jack, Graphtech nut, Grover tuners, vintage style string trees and Fender Original Vintage '52 pickups. Plays and sounds great!

11. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Let's see...I have 12 electrics. So if these three get 75% of my playing time and they are among the cheapest I own, do they qualify for the OP ask?

My Belle. From @Strato67 (Ray) through this site. C'mon back to us, Ray.
    fullsizeoutput_f5c.jpeg

The Axl Torino. For me, no better Junior ever. Plays like a dream...and oh, that stock Lindy Fralin in the bridge.
    fullsizeoutput_11c2.jpeg

Can $99 buy a good guitar? My Squier Jagmaster puts a grin on my face every time.
    fullsizeoutput_11f1.jpeg

brians, ElRey67 and radiotech like this.
  12. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    It’s your Joker Guitar...

ElRey67 and Treynor like this.
  13. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    Bullets are great, aren't they?

brians and Treynor like this.
  14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Squier Talker

Jun 27, 2010
    UK
    keiper.jpg
    Not a Squier but a rather unusual German import cheapie Les Paul sized hollowbody .Plays beautifully and sounds great through my DV Mark Little Jazz amp at jazz bars and at home .Perfect for jazzy tones , super light and very manageable .The Little Jazz would make an elastic band on a pencil sound good though ..I play this mainly and then my Squier Trohman which now has a Fender Tele neck .Cant be bothered to lug my Gibson Midtown out now .no point.

Forgot to add it only cost me 60 UK quids off Gumtree .Not all Keipers are good .I think perhaps I was very lucky .

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    radiotech and Treynor like this.
  15. brians

brians Squier-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    Looks like a "Keiper" to me

musicalmartin and radiotech like this.
  16. DougMen

DougMen Squier-Meister

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I know this is a two week old thread, but here's my response.
    An American made Fender has an unexplainable quality feel to it that no MIM, MIJ, or any other can match. It's kind of like a Honda vs. a Jaguar- they both get you there, and really do it just as well, but the Jag just feels classier and more refined. A Squier can play just as well and sound just as good as an American guitar, for the most part, but the American guitar just feels classier and more refined.
    And when you find an American Fender with a neck that you really connect with, nothing feels or plays better.
    I wasn't a big fan of the latest Am Std Strats, with the Fat 50's pickups, 'cause I really didn't like the necks on them.
    But, the older Am Stds and Hway1's were much more to my liking, and nearly equal to the new Am Pros.