When? When? When?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, May 24, 2020.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    We've been very lucky. My wife and I are both teachers, and while not essential workers, we're still employed ... trying to teach our students from home.

But I do miss being back in the classroom. While many students can overcome the shortcomings of remote teaching and learning, my kids in the Bronx are in really bad situations. Most are unable to work on their own without direct teacher instruction. The majority of my students have not turned in a lick of work since the lockdown.

The goal isn't about grades ... the goal for them is to learn as much as possible so they have the skills required to get through college and into the work world. The pandemic is hurting my students the most.

2. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Buried in history is the Spanish Flu pandemic. Began in the spring, flattened out in the summer, and returned with a vengeance in the autumn.

This should remind us all that we are living with a great unknown with an uncertain outcome. Sort of an apt description for life on planet earth.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and treasure each day as if it were your last because you really never know.

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Truth is we are all influenced by the proverbial here and now. Where we are, physically, yes. But also in our mind (who is influencing us) and emotions (ditto). And that "now" means today. The present. And our own personal experiences that give all the previously mentioned things context and meaning.

This is so for me as much as anybody. My physical and emotional circumstances lead me to be optimistic and largely untroubled -- well, apart from the theoretical and philosophical. (I am at least as troubled by the increases in 'snark' and outright nastiness and what such is doing to the quality of our lives as I am by the actual effects thus far of the virus.) But I live in an area with few cases -- none that I could even name -- and have a life (as I have earlier described) that is little influenced by others. -Not just what they do, but equally what they think.

If we by physical circumstance, and as much by our nature, are much influenced, then our outlook will be different. There is no "right" here -- and by that I equally mean as in 'what is so' as "right" in the sense of goodness or justice.

Those who watch TV are seeing and thus mentally living in a different world than me, for I watch no TV -- neither "news" or talk show stuff. None. Ever. So just as one may see a different world when looking out of their window or going 'out of doors' one will also be seeing and relating to a different world within one's head and even imagination.

All those worlds are in a personal sense equally real. You have yours. I have mine. Each of us does!

And we each "see" tomorrow based on our yesterdays and todays.

The famed year of "Woodstock" there was a more fatal viral outbreak than todays. But life went on. (Most of us took little notice) But people then had seen far worse calamities -- and the inhabitants of today's world have seen and experienced so little that to many what is called "micro aggressions" for a time dominated their thinking and feeling -- and were seen to deserve that emotional space.

My point here is not to challenge that, merely to point out that such is like a person to whom a "cold day" is 40 degrees f sees cold differently from one who has experienced long winters where minus 40f were a real and experienced possibility.

One puts on a sweater, the other gets out a pair of shorts and prepares to celebrate a heat wave! :)

And so it is for each of us. Experiencing, not just physically, but in our heads and hearts, a different world even in this time of virus.

One sees the need for yet more shutdown, the other for throwing off at least some of the now common restraints.

This can be made "political," but on a more essential level it is not. It is just you and I and all the rest of mankind living out our own lives.

-don

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  4. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

My wife and I have both been blessed with jobs where we can work from at home at fully pay. She goes in to her office on Monday's as they take turns having one person in the office. I'm a hermit of sorts so it has not been very hard on my at all. I'm involved with church and the production on Sundays so that keeps me busy as well. While we can't see into the future and where this will all go, my belief is that it will be resolved quickly and from an unexpected source.

MI redneck, duceditor and vlxerdon like this.
  5. duzie

duzie Squier-Meister

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    Well thought out and written Don!

6. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Squier-Nut

Dec 31, 2014
    Coastal Georgia
    We have not really been affected at all. Wife and I have been each others best friend for over 40 years ,so "lockdown" does not mean much. We are on a few acres with something always to do outside. Just last week we laid down 150 feet of drain pipe for a french drain.

Our store of choice for groceries is Kroger ,whose shelfs have been full since day one of this mess,so no problems there as well.

Ours was one of the first states to start opening up and things look almost normal here. social distancing is being done everywhere and people seem to be just fine as far as respecting that. Wearing a face mask is about 50/50 as far as I can tell.

Going to clean up the boat next week and drop it in the water , can't tell you how bad I want that to happen now that the ramps are open. Oh yea,our income is fixed ,so no change there either.

I believe for the rest of the world ,getting back to normal is not going to happen any time soon,if ever.
    Time to look forward to the new normal.

duceditor and duzie like this.
  7. TheQuietOne

TheQuietOne Squier Talker

Aug 11, 2019
    oshkosh, wi
    I don't know. We all want it to be over. I want to be able to go to my home town and see my parents. I want to go to a nice restaurant and sit, chat, and laugh with friends. I want to see good bands live. But I know too many vulnerable people who I don't want to lose. I don't want people I don't know to be lost to those who love them. So I endure a little inconvenience. It's OK. It's better than when I spent the better part of a month flat on my back because of a ruptured disc in my back. It's better than the week I spent not knowing if I had cancer (I didn't). Life is what you make of it. If we focus on what we still have and less so on what we've lost, we'll all get through this better.

duceditor and vlxerdon like this.