What's your favorite 'lower price' acoustic brand?

Discussion in 'The Squier Acoustic Forum' started by horax, Mar 6, 2015.

1. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

Dunno...only have one acoustic, a '99 Epiphone AJ18-something .... sounds good enough to me - was a gift from my wife, dunno what she paid, but am sure it's an entry level Epi 'coustic....MIC even back then....I have little use for an acoustic, but, hey, gotta have one in the arsenal, yes?
  2. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2012
    Inexpensive guitars I've really liked feature 2 that I still have along side my Guild's are a 1985ish Alvarez 5222 all Mahogany Dread. I paid $90 back in 92. I've written more songs on this guitar than any other. Very nice sounding and playing guitar. Different than all my other acoustics, but it is my only all Mahogany so...
    Also and a favorite that gets the most play is my Epiphone Masterbilt.
    Beautiful Playabilty, Sound and looks with tons of great features. Solid woods. Great tuners, bridge is nice, bone nut and an awesome neck.....
    just a great all around guitar used $140. GC has them from about $500 new.
  3. hrgriz

hrgriz Squier Talker

Dec 24, 2014
    I have a Michell MD100S from GC,that I really like. Less than 2 bills :)
  4. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Meister

Aug 19, 2016
    This Yamaha fg800 was $200 and its my favorite acoustic I've ever played. IMG_2727.JPG
    jamndad likes this.
  5. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I'm definitely on the bandwagon with Yamaha, now. My trips to GC now always include time spent in the acoustic room comparing 5,6 and 7+ hundred $ guitars to my FS800. This guitar performs as well as any of them and in some cases, sounds better.
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I've owned acoustics from all-laminates (even one from Sears back in the early 60s) to solid top/laminate to all-wood and at least three older Yamahas and they just don't do it for me.

But others do like them so what sounds good to you (and your wallet) should be paramount.
  7. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Understand completely and cannot deny that personal economics was a factor. When the quality and sound far exceed expectations, ya just feel inclined to sing a little praise to the product.
  8. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I have 2 Epiphone acoustic/electrics. They are inexpensive and sound and play fantastic!
  9. Eddie

Eddie Squier-holic

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm going to re-read these posts and take notes.

I currently have a simple, low-end Squier acoustic that I picked up for $70. Not a bad instrument, but not really that good either. I just wanted to an acoustic to throw in the corner and play without having to amp up an electric.

But I think I want a better one ... without breaking the bank. I'm seeing a common theme of Alvarez and Yamaha.

Acoustic guitars are more delicate creatures. I don't think I'll go used with one of these.

But please keep the recommendations coming. :)
  10. Rat cam 68

Rat cam 68 Squier Talker

Mar 12, 2018
  11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Eddie, you're right about acoustic guitars being more fragile. As I said before, I didn't humidify my Alvarez AD710 (a Guitar Center FSR version of the AD70) and the solid spruce top cracked. I also think that the sound of an acoustic guitar can vary widely , even within the same model. I've played, for example, several of the Yamaha FG800s at my local GC. It was like reliving a Goldilocks fairy tale: one was OK, one was better but one was really very good to outstanding.

I bought one used guitar online (eBay) and it came with a lifting bridge ... so, never again buying a used guitar sight unseen. However buying a used guitar that you can test drive is a different manner.

Btw, if you like the narrower fret width of an electric I'd urge you to think more in the line of the Yamahas and maybe even the Mitchells. As much as I like Alvarez I don't like the slightly wider nut width on the models.

I also like the Godin family of guitars, including Seagull and Simon & Patrick and a couple other brands.
  12. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier Talker

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Rescued this girl from a pawn shop for $20. She was a mess. Only had a few strings, was missing a couple tuners and bridge pins, but still had the pickguard plastic, go figure. I cleaned her up, dressed the frets, shaved the saddle, put on a $5 set of cream colored keys and she came back to life. Not the easiest playing guitar but she's a boomer and sounds as good, or better, than ANY acoustic I've ever played, Martin, Gibson, Taylor, even my vintage Brazilian Rosewood Japanese Ibanez. Never even heard of an Alpine. The label inside says made in China for some company in Fort Worth. Couldn't even find much on the web about them. She's a great grab and go campfire guitar.
  13. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    Yamaha for me, too. The FS800 with a hard shell case for less than $250. Are you kidding me? I compare others, every trip to the local GC. This Yamaha just shines.
  14. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier Talker

Dec 28, 2017
    Recording King. I’ve owned expensive Martins and Taylors. This one is just as good.