What's your favorite 'lower price' acoustic brand?

Discussion in 'The Squier Acoustic Forum' started by horax, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Solid top Yamahas

Undone, savofenno and Caddy like this.
  2. hudsonnh

hudsonnh Squier-holic

Aug 28, 2011
    Marshall, VA
    Another version from the Canadians - Seagull.
    Probably the mosy famous is their S6, but my kid has an Entourage Rustic mini-Jumbo.
    I think it cost us less than $300 a bunch of years ago - its also a cedar top.
    It compares quite nicely with my Taylor 310 and my wife's Martin Custom.

Undone likes this.
  3. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I have a vintage red label fg-140 that will hold its own with anything out there.

squierplayer likes this.
  4. totheMax

totheMax Squier-holic

Jan 30, 2011
    Chesapeake Bay, MD

5. D34dBaWx

D34dBaWx Squier-holic

Dec 23, 2009
    Ark
    I had a very expensive Yamaha as a teenager. It was so nice. Now I have a cheap beginner Yamaha acoustic that I got back in about 92 and a mid level acoustic/electric that's fairly new. They work for me great.

Undone likes this.
  6. Son of Timett

Son of Timett Squier-Meister

Jul 28, 2014
    Oregon
    I love Takamine!!! I have owned a few
    I have a 1978 Spruce top. craigslist find at $150
    [​IMG]

skypeace, Rat cam 68 and jefffam like this.
  7. psp742

psp742 Squier-holic

Sep 17, 2011
    Morganville, NJ
    90' Washburn Festival EA20B Newport MiK (upgrade: chrome Washburn tuners to Grover Rotomatic 18:1 black, graphtech bridge pin and nut)
    [​IMG]

14' Washburn Comfort Series WCG18CE MiC
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    skypeace likes this.
  8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Yamaha again. Here's my APX 5, still playing great after a decade.
    Summer before last, I went on a cheap acoustic search for a travel guitar (after having had a Washburn Rover my dad dubbed "The Banjo"). I scoured CL, small stores, used sections of big box stores, and super discounted new models. The best I came in with was the new version of my Yamaha, a APX 500 (Koa top). In the end, I didn't get it, because my blackie would get jealous (and I decided my travel should be electric).

Attached Files:

Undone likes this.
  9. bumhucker

bumhucker Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    aberdeen
    Totally.
    The brand doesn't get nearly enough respect IMO. Their acoustics have been excellent value since the late 90s. And they have been making some awesome electrics for over 30 years...in the 90s i bought a used sg2000 for £250. played awesome, but i got rid about 10 years later (when i was offered £500 plus a few playstation games by a buddy...so i was happy to more than double my money). Nowadays though, they can sell for well over £1000 in decent condition. So i guess i sold too soon :-/
    The build quality was the most conspicuous thing about that sg...i'm pretty clumsy and was but a young pup. But the thing was near impossible to hurt...i dinged it, and even dropped it, and left no new marks on it. My trusty old gibson sg, though...she's had 2 neck repairs in the 18 years i've had her.

Caddy likes this.
  10. Vulcannut

Vulcannut Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2015
    Naugatuck, CT
    I have a seagull S6 and a M6 and love them both. Great guitars for the price point but do have a wider neck at 1.8 inch. I also have a Yamaha FS700, Epiphone Pr5-e, and epiphone DR220SE but tend to go with one of the seagulls more often. It all depends on the individual. Great suggestions by everyone makes me want more.

skypeace and Undone like this.
  11. Ken Rose

Ken Rose Squier-holic

Sep 23, 2010
    Northern California
    Michael Kelly

Undone likes this.
  12. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2012
    North Carolina
    I'm a fan of Lag guitars.

My Lag D-100 has a street price of less than $475. I got mine used with a lot of extras for $240.
    Runner up is Breedlove. The Stage series are really nice guitars. Discovery series are decent.

13. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    manhattan
    I got the Taylor Big Baby it not only sounds great , it records beautifully. Though the Alvarez at around the same price is also really nice.

Papa Joe likes this.
  14. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Another Big Baby owner here..Besides a very good sound, it's slightly smaller than most others making it much easier to play while sitting,...

skypeace likes this.
  15. Jman33

Jman33 Squier Talker

Sep 13, 2015
    Godin is definitely the way to go for cheap great sounding acoustics!
    There are couple different companies manufactured by godin that all have the same great value and sound.
    I personally own a Seagull Entourage and everywhere I take it it gets praise for its sound and when people hear the price they love it even more.
    Anything by Seagull and Art & Luthrie are done by godin. And another great part is they are Made in Canada with quality woods. None of that cheap made in china stuff..

16. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Another vote for the Yamahas. I played and gigged (solo) with nothing but acoustics for a twenty five year span, with a 1982 Martin D-18. I have as many acoustics as electrics now.

I picked up two Yamahas, an FG-730S and an FS-720S ( The later a grand auditorium size) last winter. Each under $300 with solid tops (a must). I am blown away by the sound of them. I find myself playing them more than even my D-18.

Undone and Toddcaster64 like this.
  17. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Squier-Meister

Apr 4, 2015
    I really like my fender for $300

skypeace and Steelcityowl like this.
  18. LeftLaneLargeCar

LeftLaneLargeCar Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2015
    West Plains,Mo
    Laugh all ya want but I enjoy my $10 full size first act. It was unmarked when I found it at a yard sale but looked brand new. So $10 I bought it to find later a first act sticker deep down inside while trying to remove previous owners pick.

Hell it sounds as good if not better than my jasmine s35 by takamine. But all my big money goes to my electrics.

skypeace likes this.
  19. Isom

Isom Squier-Meister

Mar 30, 2015
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I like Ovation. I have an Ovation Applause and it is my favorite of my three acoustics.

20. novamax

novamax Squier-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    I bought a Stanford 46 a month ago, and it re-defined my thinking of solid-top-only guitars - I've heard such sounds only from plywood-free guitars of at least several hundred bucks more before, but this baby blew me away. Going around the 400 buck mark.

skypeace likes this.