Whats the most you've ever paid for an Electric Guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by MrSinister, Mar 12, 2018.

1. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    Actually, it wasn't because of Ed that the guitar took so long. It was a custom order, and at that time the folks at Heritage were playing catch up. Eds reputation was spot on. The guy was a real D**K. There used to be a picture of Mr. Roman and Ace Frehley giving the Natsi salute on the web. I wonder if Ace did that just to get under Gene's skin. Also, there's a Youtube video of Mr. Romans attempt at becoming a reality star. He had a production company come in and he was trying to sell all the drama he created to cable tv networks ala Pawn Stars.

2. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    That SG is beautiful... I especially like the "No Robot Tuners" feature!

3. Chefbaze

Chefbaze Squier-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    $400 for an es330 wasn't a lot ever, let alone 1984! I hope you still have it

so1om and duceditor like this.
  4. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    It is a sweet, sweet instrument. Yes. And when it was made "robot" tuning was as foreign an idea as auto-focus cameras were to me in my working-pro photographer years. -But what' funny -- surprising really! -- is that my recently purchased Les Paul CM, being a left-over from 2015, has the robot tuners and I've actually come to like 'em.

None of my other guitars have them of course, so manual tuning remains an almost automatic function -- one I'd mastered some time ago (Been playing almost 60 years!) -- but still I do like it. Especially when my mind is engaged with something like an arrangement. No need to de-gear my brain. No interuption. Just push a button and strum. Presto! She's in tune.

I mean how cool is that? :D

They shouldn't have been "forced" though. That was dumb beyond words.

If asked I'd have suggested this to Gibson: Their telling buyers "Its your choice - but if you choose the robots and don't like 'em in three months we'll replace them for free with the regular mechanical tuners."

I bet many would have come to like them -- just as I have. But forced? No way!

-don

MrSinister likes this.
  5. Chefbaze

Chefbaze Squier-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    I was taking to a manager at my local GC the other day who said they had an agreement with Gibson to replace the robot tuners on all the 2015 models when they were carrying them.

6. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    E33AEF1B-5E89-4F8A-A0CC-738AEBC02B67.jpeg
    In 1997, I paid $1350 for this Gretsch Rally. I was stupid and got into a bidding war on EBay, most likely with the seller himself. Once the guitar showed up, it was TRASHED. It had been set up for lefty, they filled the fretboard with clear epoxy to make it fret less, none of the electronics worked, and all the binding was rotting off (lots of 60’s Gretsch guitars suffer from ‘binding rot’ where the plastic corrodes into dust. Some do, and some don’t though) Oh, it was covered in scratches, and had 2 different kinds of tuners on it. I filed a complaint with eBay, but they claimed they couldn’t find the seller, so I was stuck with the guitar. :( I paid a shop $800-something to replace the fretboard (it was so worn down under the epoxy it wasn’t thick enough to just sand it down), refret it, rebind the neck, and replace the tuners. Then I paid $550 to a different shop have the pickups rewound and the tone circuit rebuilt (the “treble boost” sounded terrible and I used it exactly twice). By now I could have just bought a mint Country Gentleman (what I actually wanted in the first place) I mean, I did like it, but it was a classic case of “don’t buy stuff sight unseen” and “throwing good $ after bad”.

Caddy, ElRey67 and so1om like this.
  7. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    9CF727D6-B8C2-4448-B730-943F192DE667.jpeg
    I fortunately have all my guitars....

8. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    For me this is an easy one. The 1964 Jazzmaster I bought new in the spring of 1965 right after high school graduation. It was $350, which adjusted for inflation, would be $2811 in today's dollars.

More recently would be my Epi ES-339 Pro (HB's) that I bought new for just under $500 (the Epi case was another $99).

Acoustics are a whole different story. (Martin D-18 bought in the early 80's, among others)

9. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Well? There's no denying the cash outlay, but it's a beautiful looking guitar that has been saved from the trash heap.

daan and ElRey67 like this.
  10. Chefbaze

Chefbaze Squier-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    Absolutely beautiful!!! I wish I could say the same. When i was 11 years old (1981) my uncle gave me his old strat which was at least 15, 20 years old at the time . I don't remember what year the guitar was, I only know it sat around the cluttered garage getting thrown around and I would mess around with it from time to time. It probably ended up in the trash, or given away when they cleaned out. The only thing left from back then is my mom's old Gibson mandolin which is from the late 30's

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    ElRey67 and so1om like this.
  11. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    Yeah three grand for... that particular guitar was insane. I just ran that through the inflation calculator, and it’s $4600 today :0
    No wonder I have nothing left from that time of my life...
    And about a year after it was all fixed (including another $500 to rebind the body) my now-ex pawned it to buy drugs, and I never managed to find exactly where, to get it back. Boo. I toy with the idea of getting another one, but I just don’t have the $ to, or the will to revisit the ‘bad old days’...