Whats the most you've ever paid for an Electric Guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by MrSinister, Mar 12, 2018.

1. MrSinister

MrSinister Squier-Meister

Sep 24, 2017
    Earth
    Thought this might be an interesting topic. For me, it was a year 2000 lefty Heritage H170 that I bought through the infamous Ed Roman Guitars out of Las Vegas. It took them 364 days to deliver it, and it cost me $2 thousand w/case. I thought it was going to be my last acquisition, but sadly it lacked the upper fret access I had hoped for, and I ended up selling it a few years later.... for a grand. Ouch!

2. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

A bit north of six bills for my '83 Fender Strat (new). I paid more for my '93 MIJ '62 Reissue Fender Jazz (also new) but probably have the most invested in my hand wired Tweed Champ clone.

3. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    That would be my Candy Apple Red Fender Cabronita Tele. I got it when they were clearing them out. I paid $339 with free shipping from Guitar Center.

Big tuna, theflow and ElRey67 like this.
  4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    That I’ve kept... $500 for my Epi ES-339 Ultra, named Esther for my Mom, it was paid for with money from closing my parents estate.

5. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
  6. sooper8

sooper8 Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2012
    UK
    £450 Fender Tele Thinline MIJ, as seen in member picture. That was quite a lot for me, I know it's all relative.

theflow, ElRey67 and dbrian66 like this.
  7. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I paid $1000 twice. The first time was for a 1996 Gibson SG Standard that I bought brand new. The second time was for a used 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio Classic 60's. Money well spent both times.

Big tuna, theflow and ElRey67 like this.
  8. Chefbaze

Chefbaze Squier-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    $600 gibson sg junior. My first electric guitar when I attempted to learn 6 years ago at 40 years old. I sold it after it sat unplayed for a while, regretted it the next day. SG Juniors are now $1400!! Screw that noise! I ended up buying a CV strat off of Craigslist for $150, which landed me here at squier talk, learning to play again, so in a way it was worth it. Some crazy **** going on in these forum walls the last few weeks that ive been here. But seems to me, a hell of a lot of great folks. Glad I found you guys . I'm a strange breed, I know a hell of a lot more about guitars than my playing and experience warrants. I've been obsessed with them and around them and musicians since I was a kid, but never picked it up til middle age. Go figure.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Genius, MrSinister, Big tuna and 2 others like this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-Meister

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Prior to a couple weeks ago I had purchased two guitars for around 1k, one in 1999 and one last year, and I swore I'd never spend a cent more...

I have since doubled that amount... But never again.... I swear...

[​IMG]

Pat V., Big tuna, BorderRadio and 7 others like this.
  10. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Very cool. My wife's name is Esther and I had an Aunt Esther too.. weird. :)

11. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
  12. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
    I've been eyeing one of those ! How do you like it ?

AngelDeVille, dbrian66 and ElRey67 like this.
  13. theflow

theflow Squier-holic

Feb 16, 2017
    Palmetto,FL
  14. Chefbaze

Chefbaze Squier-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Brooklyn, New York
    Seriously, i remember a few years ago looking at SG61 reissues on MF closing out for $999 and back then they allowed you to apply the 20% discount to marked down items. I ended up with an SG Junior instead for $600.

ElRey67 likes this.
  15. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

I think I paid about $850 or so for this Hamer Mirage II about 20 years ago. My biggest guitar splurge ever. I did get the inside of the spring cover signed by Jol Danzig, Hamer's long-time chief designer, at a factory tour a few years later, but he didn't actually design the Mirage. That was Terry McInturff.

2015-05-06 05.47.44.jpg 2015-05-06 05.48.39.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    squierTony, ElRey67, mb doug and 4 others like this.
  16. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    is your name Lamont and does your dad own a junkyard?
    F897DF01-3688-4BE0-AD77-C97EA0C6279D.jpeg

Big tuna, mb doug, Bluzy and 7 others like this.
  17. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

theflow likes this.
  18. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

LOL, no but she was quite a character in her own right!

ElRey67, Bluzy, theflow and 2 others like this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    It was around $700 for my '63 Strat in 1986. The finish had stripped and a lot of parts had been swapped out but it was a nice guitar being sold on consignment by a desperate owner.

[​IMG]

fadetoz, synapse2k, Michael7 and 8 others like this.
  20. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    This is embarrassing. :( I paid the full retail for my first electric..$600..In 1957...Got it paid off in 1959 and headed straight down town to trade it it in on my 1959 Jazzmaster..
    Here's the embarrassing part..I gave the guitar and amp (total investment about $1,0000) PLUS $300 for the Jazzmaster and a Fender Super amp.. :(I could have bought the new guitar and amp for probably about $600..
    Matter of , looking back., the used value of my trade in was probably higher than my new purchase..The guitar and amp were in like new condition..
    No regrets..I got the sound that I wanted,at that time..

MrSinister, Big tuna, ElRey67 and 4 others like this.