What's the deal with Starcasters?

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by porkpie, Apr 12, 2019.

1. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Seen quite a few posts lately about Starcasters. I always thought they were like the bottom of the barrel guitars so to speak and never considered owning one. Now I need another guitar like I need a hole in the head but I ran across this one and the guy said he would sell it for $50. I'm thinking maybe just get it and if I don't like it I can flip it and make $20 or $30. Don't know what year it is, may be MII because of the skunk stripe, don't know. Looks to be in decent shape from the pics besides missing the tremolo cover. What do you guys think?

https://spokane.craigslist.org/msg/d/coeur-alene-fender-starcaster/6843999533.html

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

This is a debatable issue - I have always considered these SE's ( because of the CXS S# ) - but really I think it was an experiment in marketing or branding. arrow head stock ? sometimes matching head stocks, maple necks, both kinds of trems - when it comes to these - there were no rules it seems. Every arrow neck I have seen needed fret end work. Some of these were / are great and some seem to never been checked over by a QC person. They are great mod platforms !

dbrian66 and porkpie like this.
  3. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Not too excited about the arrowhead version of this guitar. There are a lot of other Starcasters out there with the more traditional "Fender" headstock. Always a good buy under $100 but there are also lot's of Bullets, Affinitys and SEs in that same price range used! I'd pass, good luck.

4. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Thanks Ken, I actually have purchased recently all the tools I need to do a fret level, this may be my first patient since I would not be out too much if I screw it up, not likely but one never knows. Fret ends are no problem for me anymore using a 3M sanding sponge. I think I read that some of these Starcasters are full size bodies.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  5. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Yeah, those 3M sponges are great!

6. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Thanks mikm, I'm going to think about it, can't get it until tomorrow anyway, so that gives me some time to think it over. Would like to hear what other members here have to say and that will probably be the deciding factor in my decision.

7. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I bought a loaded body a few months ago and put a neck on it. Its a full thickness body or close. I figured the pu's would suck but they aren't bad.

8. frankthedog

frankthedog Squier-Meister

May 17, 2010
    SE Ohio
    Worth the $50 for the parts, isn't it?

9. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    That's what I was thinking.

10. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I have one with the Fender style headstock and it is a full thickness body. To the best of my knowledge it is identical to a CSX SE except for the big 70’s style headstock and maple fretboard. It’s almost like they put an Affinity neck on an SE body. Great guitar.

I have heard very mixed reviews on the arrow head version. QC seems to be hit or miss and I have heard that some of those have plywood bodies. I personally have never even held one so I am speaking purely on what I have read. But based on that, I think I would steer clear of that one. Or at least do your research before you buy it.

Good luck, and if you do get it, be sure to let us know what you find!

11. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Wondering if one of those Kmise necks would fit?

12. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

If the seller is willing to drop it from $80 to $50 to move it, then its market value in y0ur area is $50 or less. The arrow head stock ones are probably much slower to sell than the regular head stock, if you plan to flip it. If you are already planning on a Kmise or other neck upgrade, then you'll be at $80 all in. That seems too much to me.

I find the bodies on these to be unusually heavy, but that is based on the limited sample of the one I own, for which I paid $40. It has a flamey neck, otherwise I might have passed. I was also curious about where these fit in the spectrum of Squier/Fender guitars, quality and materials wise. Still a bit of a marketing mystery to me, since many sellers list these at higher prices than Squiers and it doesn't seem justified to me.

13. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    I grab the Starcasters all the time in my area for <=$60 The electronincs and hardware are on par with the Bullet, Affinity, SE & Standard lines of the Squiers. I buy them just for the wood content and upgrade everything else to make them great players. There are a couple limited colors out there too that are hard sometimes to grab at a good price. All the ones I have got have needed some kind of minor fret work as well. (fret ends sharp and leveling) If you get one to mod then you are going to have a great instrument. Here is the only one I have at the moment.
    IMG_20190302_114055.jpg

14. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I would be 99% sure it would. I have a new one i got for it but it was 2 weeks and still in china so i got an unbranded all parts neck and stuck on it. I did have to sand some paint out of th neck pocket but no big deal nice tight fit. If there fender spec they should work.

15. GuitarGuru76

GuitarGuru76 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I have been on a Starcaster tear lately. Great projects stock. 3 more on the way now. KS_29765.jpg

16. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Any plywood bodies on any of them?

porkpie and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. GuitarGuru76

GuitarGuru76 Squier-Meister

Feb 23, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I have only checked the 2 red ones. They are not plywood. May dig into the other 3 this weekend.

18. Kenneth Mountain

those are awesome ! ! they normally don't group together like that in the wild ?

dbrian66, GuitarGuru76 and porkpie like this.
  19. porkpie

porkpie Squier-holic

Mar 16, 2015
    Idaho
    Don't have to worry about it anymore, the guy sold it yesterday

20. Kenneth Mountain

:):):)

dbrian66 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice