What's happened to the app?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Problems & Support' started by Merv_j, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Is anyone else having a problem with the Android app? I'm getting nothing! Redirected to Play Store, saying license expired.... anyone else???

2. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Same here. The Internet Gods want me to install the Tapatalk app instead.

Totally Squiered and Merv_j like this.
  3. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2012
    Northern California
    It's happening on all of the GearTalk network sites: TDPRI, Strat-Talk, etc. It's beginning to look like the new owners are the forum equivalents of slum-lords. We had a good run.

I don't mind if they try to monetize the forum. Why else would you buy them? But how in the heck do they expect to make a profit if they alienate folks who can't access the forums any longer? I, like many others, do most of my access via the apps. If the apps are history, so will be many of the users.

The new owners don't seem to realize that once a person breaks a routine, they're likely to replace it with something else for good. Just sayin'.

Totally Squiered, Merv_j and Taurus like this.
  4. Cavediver

Cavediver Squier-Nut

Jul 28, 2014
    Eagle, Idaho
    The app doesn’t work on my iPhone or iPad either. I don’t use the web version so as far as Squier Talk goes, I’m SOL.

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Squier-holic

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    for whatever reason, the individual Apps, like ST, are all doing that "license" thing ... I have heard horror stories about the Tapatalk App, which is the suggested replacement --- I'm not doing that! :eek:

Merv_j, Taurus and Cavediver like this.
  6. Cavediver

Cavediver Squier-Nut

Jul 28, 2014
    Eagle, Idaho
    I agree, Tapatalk is horrible. I won’t be trying it again.

Merv_j and BelairPlayer like this.
  7. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    yup, does not work on my iphone, says "This form is currently not available on this app>"

Totally Squiered, Merv_j and Taurus like this.
  8. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-Nut

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    The app isnt even available on the google play store anymore.

Totally Squiered and Merv_j like this.
  9. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Meister

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I visit Squier Talk website on my iPad. I don’t use the app (didn’t know it existed) but that is what always seems to happen with the app versions.

Totally Squiered, rorygman and Merv_j like this.
  10. -r3-

-r3- Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2016
    I ONLY browse forums in a browser no matter what OS or device I'm using. But for mobile (Android in my case) platforms, EVERYBODY has their own specific app for their site, and I'm just not willing to have to have to install a specific app for every web-based activity I do!

Totally Squiered likes this.
  11. rorygman

rorygman Squier-Meister

May 9, 2017
    Barcelona
    I always use a browser for accessing the forum, even on mobile phone (cell phone :D) and have not had any issues. Usually I use my Samsung tablet.
    Anyway, I dont like using dedicated apps as the functionality always seems to be somehow compromised or reduced, and the info about the posts and posters is more limited.
    Cheers
    Rorygman :cool:

Taurus and Totally Squiered like this.
  12. Totally Squiered

Totally Squiered Squier-Nut

Nov 21, 2012
    Berlin
    I used to use the app on my iphone, a few years ago, and then that was phased out.
    When I asked in the forum about it, I was told that all the apps were being phased out and that eventually we would have to use the tapatalk app to access the forum on mobile devices.

For what it's worth, I did try the Tapatalk app when the iphone app was phased out, and I didn't like it. I'm not a frequenter of many forums, and I think for those who are, Tapatalk is probably great, collecting all the forums in one place.

However, I am a devotee of this forum and none other, and Tapatalk suddenly threw me into a world of timelines and newsfeeds and recommendations of other forums I might want to try out. All stuff I don't need. It felt like just another site trying to create a social network around its product. Yawn. I really don't need another social network vying for my screentime. I'm going to have to reassess how I interact with ST now, since I use it mostly on mobile devices and don't like Tapatalk.

Anyhow, it was a couple of years ago that the iphone app was axed, and I have been using the android app since then, in the knowledge that this day would also come for the android app!
    I didn't think it would last this long, if I'm honest.

What irks me is, the reason that was given for phasing out the apps was that they were too much maintenance. Then why did it take two years or more to finally pull the plug?

rorygman likes this.