What musical equipment have YOU broken?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by otisblove, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Oh yeah!
    I was at the shop and I had the CN2 Squier Series around my neck. My wife called me outside and I was talking to the owner for about five minutes when out of the blue, the strap popped off the upper horn, and it came down on the side of the headstock ball like I had swung it, on a blacktop lot.
    Fortunately, on that guitar the neck was too small for the pocket, and all it did was knock it way to the side. When we put it back we side shimmed it in the pocket to keep the strings on the neck.
    I know the neck was too small since when I moved it to the new body, we had to do the same thing again.

otisblove likes this.
  2. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic

Sep 5, 2012
    Eugene, Oregon
    I blew the aluminum speaker in my Hartke Kickback 12 when I started playing with my band. I popped in a $30 12” car woofer from eBay and it works just fine now. I also broke my grandfathers old Silvertone archtop acoustic in a fit of rage when I was 16-17. The thing had a neck seperation that had the bubba neck set of a fat ol’ screw through the neck heel, I dropped it rather carelessly/forcefully and it went to pieces. No great loss as it was basically unplayable anyway, but nonetheless it was one of those moments of instant regret because of the sentimental value.

otisblove likes this.
  3. Photobug57

Photobug57 Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2018
    Hebron, KY
    Don't know if this qualifies but, I had just gotten certified by our local cable consortium to operate their cameras, lights, audio and switching console plus had taken their course work for TV production and Director's/Producer's qualification. Our church was going to put a program on our local access cable channel and we were to record it using the cable consortium's equipment.

Long story shortened: I plugged one of their camera's in for AC power and the camera went phiift! Smoke rolled everywhere! $10k burnt to a boat anchor!

Later we found out that the 110v outlet that I plugged into had a bootleg ground. Needless to say, I was very embarrassed by that and the cable consortium never let me take anything out again!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

otisblove likes this.
  4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    I had just gotten my first electric, a Hondo LP copy. The store threw in a “pitch pipe” for tuning. Once I got it home, I had the guitar laying on my bed, and while blowing into the pitch pipe, I blew it out of my mouth and straight onto the neck pickup. It left a big dent, right in the middle of the chrome cover. Ugh. Also, I didn’t have an amp yet, so I was playing it through my dad’s Sony reel-to-feel tape machine. I found if I turned everything all the way up, it made awesome distortion tone, all the better to play along with Motley Crue or Judas Priest... until the tape deck fried out! It made a loud BZZZZZZT and then silence. Oops.
    Since then, I’ve only really done the, “is it broken? Then fix it ‘til it is!”

otisblove likes this.
  5. guitar guy

guitar guy Dr. Squier

Nov 3, 2010
    Tampa Bay Area
    The usual plectrums, strings, cables, a Rocktron Silver Dragon that I was trying to repair, an Ibanez S370DX, ... I think that is about it.

otisblove likes this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Only one thing... and with purpose...

Early ‘80’s slab Hondo II bolt on neck LP, terrible twisted neck, and all the hardware buzzed... it was a plywood body, and neck, It was so tough, it bounced right back at me off the dumpster... I had to slam it at an angle at the ground numerous times, and finally cracked the body.

Only gear I ever broke.

otisblove likes this.
  7. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    when I was young like 17 yrs old I broke a lot of music related stuff a marshal stack well the speakers in it over heated the magnets and coils to where they cracked or fused the coil, 3 different cheap electric guitars I beat to death doing Peet Townsen moves, and 2 Big Muffs stomp box I don't think so. Thank God that I matured.

otisblove likes this.
  8. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    otisblove likes this.
  9. duceditor

duceditor Dr. Squier

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    My voice broke when I was twelve. Does that count?

-nod

otisblove likes this.
  10. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    When I was a young punk my mates and I in a punk band were learning to do guitar flips (like this )
    And we had many mishaps. One guitar came off the strap and went through the TV, one took a dive into the wall, and most shamefully I got a concussion when mid flip, my lead caught my leg and my heavy (ibanez blazer bass) landed square on my head.
    I also broke a couple cymbals in those days.

otisblove likes this.
  11. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    My first guitar was an acoustic, and my brother had a friend over at the house one day. Apparently they had a fight, and my bro used MY GUITAR to hit his friend with. Obliterated it and had to buy me a new one.

JoeInMichigan and otisblove like this.
  12. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Sorry, @fendereedo. Doesn’t count. What have you PERSONALLY broken is the question.

By the way, did he buy you a replacement voluntarily or did someone make him?

fendereedo likes this.
  13. fendereedo

fendereedo Squier-Meister

Aug 12, 2015
    UK
    Yep, my parents made him replace it lol. Personally, I've only added a few dings and chips to guitars. I'm not over protective about gear I suppose.

otisblove likes this.
  14. Guitfiddlist

Guitfiddlist Squier Talker

Aug 16, 2019
    Arizona
    In my younger days, I like to experiment with various substances. Well, when I was subbing in a buddy’s band, the nose candy kinda made me light headed on stage and I passed out..... fell face first off the stage and broke the Fender Strat I was playing. The neck broke away from the body in such a way it permanently damaged the neck and body to the point they couldn’t be repaired. And that guitar.... well.... wasn’t mine...

otisblove likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice