What musical equipment have YOU broken?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by otisblove, Mar 22, 2019.

1. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Ever personally broken a guitar? Amp? Drumset? French horn? I’d love to hear about it.

Conghaille likes this.
  2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Does this topic include "fixing" something until it doesn't work anymore?

Because I... well, I think I'd rather not talk about that.

KG7IL, DrBeGood, mb doug and 8 others like this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Wow OB, you got me thinking about a lifetime of music stuff, and the only instrument I can think of that broke is a plastic toy clarinet that I played in kindergarten. I still have it, and I guess it could be glued, but it's broken.

My school had clarinet lessons in that grade (plastic toy version), then "flute" in 1st grade (plastic toy version), then real piano in 2nd grade. I stuck with piano, found a private teacher, and took lessons for ten years. My interest in music, but fatigue with piano lead me to the guitar.

Rat cam 68, Conghaille and otisblove like this.
  4. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    Same here @LutherBurger. Only things I can think of that I’ve broken were things I was “fixing” or “improving”.

5. Conghaille

Conghaille Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2016
    Elsewhere
    Well, I don't know exactly the context expected, but I've rendered two guitar bodies (inexpensive ones, thankfully) unusable through repeated rework (painting, stripping, sanding) when I was learning the craft.

I destroyed a HB once by trying to get the cover off. Wax everywhere! That plus force resulted in a broken lead. Turns out a utility knife works better for that.

On my first attempt at doing a fret dressing on a narrower neck I took too much off the frets as I beveled the edges, such that it was very easy to roll the high E string off the bottom of the neck.

I stack all of this up to learning though. I've never had anything catastrophic or purely accidental. No exploding tubes, fires, broken headstocks, or anything like that.

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    Such lofty aspirations, yielding only bitter disappointment and shame.

I feel your pain, brother.

7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    For lack of a better description, the location was "Church Camp"

I was talking to the band and jumped off the stage. The guitarist's Gibson SG fell off the stand. The headstock did that famous Gibson thing. As a teenager this was one of the worst feelings I've ever felt.

I also dropped a new to me bass on the way into the house recently and the pickguard cracked and the instrument has some small dings now.

otisblove, Conghaille and wonkenstein like this.
  8. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Back in the early 70s I blew three pairs of OEM type CTS speakers with my Ampeg VT-22 within a few weeks, But after I upgraded to Altec Lansing 417 8C drivers no more issues.

otisblove and Conghaille like this.
  9. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    All I will say is that effects pods are not drop proof! Anything with a cord directly to a guitar shoud either A. be too heavy to move and heavy enough the plug comes out, or it should be strapped down well!

otisblove likes this.
  10. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    In high school I played out of an Ampeg svt or 4-vb(can't remember) but I thought Hey, i'm gonna wire this 18" speaker to maximize awesomeness. Band starts up, the two barewires touch and blamo. blown amp. You could hear the fuse blow over the drums guitar and bass noise. Could not fix the amp. I think I melted the output transformer. Like I said it's all hazy, this would have been around '89.

11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I once broke a pick ... and a string.

otisblove and Conghaille like this.
  12. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Yeah ... we know the feeling.

fuelish and otisblove like this.
  13. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I can't remember breaking anything as a player. As I've ventured into building/modding/refinishing, oh my yes - to the point where I now feel like everything I attempt is going to lead me through an obstacle course featuring every documented problem that task has every involved.

There's also some newb dumbassery too. I ordered a cheap finished Precision body (one of my first projects) and it showed up with no bridge ground route. You can imagine where this is going - I took the wrong angle with my drill and managed to put a nice hole through the back of the body. :oops:

otisblove likes this.
  14. DamienC

DamienC Squier Talker

May 30, 2014
    Southwestern NJ
    I have a nice Edwards Les Paul Junior Double Cut copy. TV yellow with a P-90. Great guitar.

About 5 years ago, I brought it to a GC to try some amps. Leaned it up against the row of amps, then turned around to go find a cable. Then hit it with my foot. It hit the ground headstock first.

The saddest moment of my life was picking up the broken pieces and walking it straight to the repair guy.

They fixed it up pretty well, but it just doesn't feel the same anymore. I keep it in the case these days and use my $130 SX Telecaster when I need a P-90 tone.

otisblove likes this.
  15. so1om

so1om Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Once after band practice, we were packing up gear and chit-chatting, the usual. I put my 1967 Gretsch Rally in its case, I was talking, then I went to lift it up and over my 212r.

Well.. the case wasn't locked and it rolled right out shearing the neck off clean. I took it to a local repair shop and spent $75 to have it glued back on. Plays just as great as ever. Titebond -likely the strongest part of the guitar.

I know I have some pics somewhere.

eaglesgift, daan and otisblove like this.
  16. optofonik

optofonik Squier-holic

Well, if one of my workstation monitors count...

One of it's caps was one of the infamous tsunami caps, puffing up like like a damn balloon and stopping my recording session in it's tracks. (See what I did there?)

I opened up the monitor and started replacing it. In the process I wrecked a couple of the traces. They were close enough, however, that I was able to just use a line of solder to reconnect them. It was my first time effing up a trace like that so it felt kinda dicey for a little while. Now it's like, whatever; it happens, I can fix it. Not to say I have a cavalier attitude about it; it's still a PITA when it happens and something to avoid.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    otisblove likes this.
  17. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Only thing that I can think of was the grill cloth on my old brown face Fender Deluxe..I destroyed it in the cleaning process.
    The grill cloth that I replaced it with looks a lot better but I really depreciated the collectable value.. 62 Deluxe.jpg

otisblove likes this.
  18. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Meister

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    Being a former drummer, cracked cymbals, broken heads, and busted drumsticks were par for the course.

This is kind of related, when I was around 14-years-old and I broke a drum head, I was messing around with it. I tore out the skin part, leaving only the hoop and was looping it around my forearms like a hula hoop. What I didn't realize was the hoop was made of fiberglass so while I was doing it, I was inserting thousands of little fiberglass fibers in my arms. Later my forearms turned bright red and puffed up like Popeye's - I was in agony. Of course, being a kid of the 80s, my parents did absolutely nothing.

19. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    Grouse hunting
    Is that before or after a mod didn't go well?

otisblove likes this.
  20. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Meister

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I destroyed a pedal once by trying to unsolder an 8 pin Integrated Circuit. I learned the hard way to use DIP sockets for stuff like that now.

BlueSquirrel and otisblove like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice