What kind of tuners come stock on FSR bullet Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by arblemob, Jun 13, 2018.

1. arblemob

arblemob Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2018
    New Jersey
    I'm having a lot of issues keeping this in tune; my first suspect is the nut which is a kind of light gray color.
    Besides replacing that, can anybody tell me what kind/brand of tuners come stock on this guitar and what
    a good replacement would be? Any insight on size of the headstock holes and alignment pin location would be appreciated. I'm reluctant to start work until I research a bit; a playable version of this thing with the rosewood was REALLY hard to get hold of. Thanks all.

DSC01143.jpg DSC01142.jpg

dbrian66 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    In my experience it’s always the nut. Once the strings are stretched and settled any tuner that has a tight sprocket and worm gear will stay put. The only time I replace tuners is when they don’t turn smoothly.

3. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-Meister

Mar 11, 2017
    Great Falls Montana
    In my humble opinion, they are the worst I have ever had. They grind, and bind, and make crunchy noises.
    However, when I get it in tune, it seems to hold for a while anyway. The trapezoid tuners on my Bullet Strat are so much better. Definitely the weak spot on an otherwise very nice budget guitar.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-Meister

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Improper stringing technique and/or nut problems are the source of 99.98% of tuning issues. Going to locking tuners will fix the stringing problem but not issues with the nut.

5. kjmac

kjmac Squier-Nut

Aug 14, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    My Bullet Strat came with trapezoid tuners and I could move them an eighth of a turn without moving the shaft. Got rid of them and replaced them with a set of Kluson vintage tuners. Smooth sailing ever since. Of course I also slightly widened the slots in the nut for 10-46 strings and lubricated it with graphite (#2 pencil lead).

6. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    What kind of tuners come stock on FSR bullet Tele?

Cheap ones :)

I have some cheapy guitars and if they make the cut for whatever reason I replace the tuners. With what depends on how much I like it. Most lower end guitars will benefit from even Chinese vintage tuner copies.

7. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Crappy tuners are just that... junk. If they aren't any good, I would replace them. Take one out and look at it and measure the hole. It should be 10mm, but make sure.

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-holic

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    No issues for me, it has to be the nut.....mine are smooth as can be...they are the same 2 pin Squier Indonesia tuners as found on higher end models like Standard/Deluxe/First Generation Vintage Modified etc....

I have the exact same guitar, love the tuners.....I did work on widening and deepening the nut slots....

What gauge are you using too? I'm using 9's....if you're using like 11's the nut won't fit those without modification....

9. arblemob

arblemob Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2018
    New Jersey
    What gauge are you using too? I'm using 9's....if you're using like 11's the nut won't fit those without modification....[/QUOTE]

I'm using the 9's it came with. The tuners are smooth, it just doesn't hold tune for long. The nut is a gray color which I haven't seen before, so that's the first thing I'll look into replacing.

10. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    I'm using the 9's it came with. The tuners are smooth, it just doesn't hold tune for long. The nut is a gray color which I haven't seen before, so that's the first thing I'll look into replacing.[/QUOTE]

Change out those terrible factory strings for something new, you might find they're fine....those factory strings always have rough feeling winds and they do bind in nut slots I find....

11. arblemob

arblemob Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2018
    New Jersey
    Change out those terrible factory strings for something new, you might find they're fine....those factory strings always have rough feeling winds and they do bind in nut slots I find....[/QUOTE]

Great. Thanks for the advice!

12. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Yeah get decent strings and see if that does it. If it persists try a little filing on the nut then lube etc. Cheaper than replacing tuners, you may get lucky!

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-Meister

Nov 29, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    Grinding ,binding & crunching:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'd go ahead and get some good quality tuners and be done with it !

New strings and get some 800grit wet\dry paper ,lay a small piece of the string in a small folded piece of the Sand paper and use it like a file to gently open up the slot in the nut for each string size :0)

nobucks and dbrian66 like this.
  14. arblemob

arblemob Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2018
    New Jersey
    BTW-you mention you have the exact same guitar; is the nut colored the same weird gray which I've never seen before or did you replace it?

dbrian66 likes this.
  15. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
  16. dbrian66

dbrian66 Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s a great tip to use the sandpaper and a string. Thanks!

fattboyzz likes this.
  17. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Canada
    My nut is colored like that and I kept it 100% stock...no issues with it....

18. arblemob

arblemob Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2018
    New Jersey
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I replaced the nut with a Tusq XL and also put on new Ernie Ball Super Slinkys.
    Works fine now.

19. Chubbles

Chubbles Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2018
    Philadelphia PA
    If it should ever need tuners: I like the Fender Vintage Style tuners.

20. arblemob

arblemob Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2018
    New Jersey
    Thanks. If I can ever find drop in replacements where the 2 locater pins on the back match up I would get them.